Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Normal. You will hear the shift solenoid "clunk" just before it shifts to new gear.
Mine dosen't clunk any more after clutch basket replacement AND CHAMFERING OIL RELIEF VALVES. Mine now just has a quiet click. Iv'e been trying to get this across CHAMFERING OIL RELIEF VALVES is the only thing different from stock. When mine was brand new it clunked loudly, it's like Honda replaced the whole transmission. I REALLY like this machine now

Reactions: AZhunter
C

chillout

Nov 26, 2016
Tx
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I thought I would put together a list of use full service facts for the Pioneer 1000. This will come in handy a lot when wanting to know what kind or how much of something.

Engine Oil
Oil Filter Part # - 15412-HP7-A01 Buy one here --> Amazon.com: Honda Stock Replacement Oil Filter 15412-HP7-A01: Automotive
DCT Oil Filter part # 15412-MGS-D21 Buy one here --> Amazon.com: HONDA 15412-MGS-D21 ELEMENT, OIL FILTER: Automotive

Honda recommends a API classification of SG or higher, do not use oils labeled as energy conserving or resource conserving.
- Viscosity (weight) SAE 10W-30. Other approved colder weather areas can use 5W-30, or 0W-30
- JASO T 903 standard - MA
- Suggested oil - Pro Honda GN4 4-stroke oil or Honda 4-stroke oils or and equivalent 4-stroke motorcycle oil.
---- 5.5 liters (5.8 US qt) after draining.
---- 5.7 liters (6.0 US qt) after draining and engine oil filter change.
---- 5.8 liters (6.1 US qt) after draining, engine oil filter change and DCT oil filter change.

---- 7.2 liters (7.6 US qt) after disassemble.

Sub-Transmission
Honda recommends a API classification of SG or higher, do not use oils labeled as energy conserving or resource conserving.
- Viscosity (weigt) SAE 10W-30. Other approved colder weather areas can use 5W-30, or 0W-30
- Suggested oil - Pro Honda GN4 4-stroke oil or Honda 4-stroke oils or and equivalent 4-stroke motorcycle oil.
---- 1.2 liters (1.3 US qt) after draining.
---- 1.4 liters (1.5 US qt) after disassembly.

Differential Oil:

Use Honda shaft drive oil or equivalent hypoid gear oil SAE 80.
- Front
---- 11.5 US oz at draining
---- 16.9 US oz at disassemble
- Rear
---- 15.9 US oz at draining
---- 18.6 US oz at disassemble

Fuel

Honda states that only unleaded fuels can be used in the Pioneer.
- Fuel tank capacity - 7.9 US gal (30L)

Coolant
Honda recommends using only Pro Honda HP coolant. However a equivalent high-quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion protection inhibitors specifically recommended for aluminum engines can be used.
- Solution 50/50, 1:1 mixture with distilled water.
- Capacity:
---- 3.2 liters (3.4 US qt) at drain/replacement.
---- 3.5 liters (3.7 US qt after disassembly.
- Fill reserve tank to between Min and Max level.

Spark Plug
- Standard spark plug - SILMAR7A93
- Gap - 0.031 - 0.035 in (0.8 -0.9 mm)

Brake Fluid
- Honda DOT 4 brake fluid or equivalent DOT 4

Battery
- GYZ16H = 12v - 16Ah/10h.
Suggest you add to the post (for first time oil change people) the oil drain plug sizes, 17mm & 12mm, and the size for the oil filter covers is 9mm.
I probably am not the only old fat guy that had to crawl under, up and down to get more tools. Would have been easy for Honda to put the sizes in the manual next to the picture, but they didn't.

Reactions: JTW
AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine dosen't clunk any more after clutch basket replacement AND CHAMFERING OIL RELIEF VALVES. Mine now just has a quiet click. Iv'e been trying to get this across CHAMFERING OIL RELIEF VALVES is the only thing different from stock. When mine was brand new it clunked loudly, it's like Honda replaced the whole transmission. I REALLY like this machine now
What is the name of the dealer that chamfered the relief valves? Mine clunks loud and just doesn't seem right. Would like to talk with your dealers service department to find out exactly what they did to fix it. thanks!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What is the name of the dealer that chamfered the relief valves? Mine clunks loud and just doesn't seem right. Would like to talk with your dealers service department to find out exactly what they did to fix it. thanks!
Heartland Honda Springdale AR 72762 PH# 479-751-7022

utvmi

utvmi

Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Hondasxs

The New LE models per the book

Front Final Gear
M3L/M5L
13.2 US oz at draining
18.1 US oz at disassembly

Rear Final Gear Case
M3L/M5L
18.6 Us oz at draining
20.5 US oz at disassembly

• Wow
Reactions: jeffasweet
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If you don't mind me asking, did you take it in because both clutches were slipping. # of miles when this happened. Thanks!
I had like 164 miles on it and the clutch that operates 1,3 & 5 gears went out, they replaced both . Barley got it on the trailer. Sorry I didn't see your post until now.

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had like 164 miles on it and the clutch that operates 1,3 & 5 gears went out, they replaced both . Barley got it on the trailer. Sorry I didn't see your post until now.
No Problem! wow! low miles for a clutch failure. do you tow? climb hills a lot? what do you think caused the failure? Thanks!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No Problem! wow! low miles for a clutch failure. do you tow? climb hills a lot? what do you think caused the failure? Thanks!
Not really, no one told me if your in low range and in reverse your in high gear and was doing some extreme wood splitting and hauling, only one way in and one way out. That's when I toasted my clutch.

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not really, no one told me if your in low range and in reverse your in high gear and was doing some extreme wood splitting and hauling, only one way in and one way out. That's when I toasted my clutch.
Yep! a low range reverse would have made much more sense.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I thought I would put together a list of use full service facts for the Pioneer 1000. This will come in handy a lot when wanting to know what kind or how much of something.

Engine Oil
Oil Filter Part # - 15412-HP7-A01 Buy one here --> http://amzn.to/1Qxj6tb
DCT Oil Filter part # 15412-MGS-D21 Buy one here --> http://amzn.to/1Qxj9oV

- Viscosity (weight) SAE 10W-30. Other approved colder weather areas can use 5W-30, or 0W-30
---- 5.5 liters (5.8 US qt) after draining.
---- 5.7 liters (6.0 US qt) after draining and engine oil filter change.
---- 5.8 liters (6.1 US qt) after draining, engine oil filter change and DCT oil filter change.

---- 7.2 liters (7.6 US qt) after disassemble.

Sub-Transmission
- Viscosity (weigt) SAE 10W-30. Other approved colder weather areas can use 5W-30, or 0W-30
---- 1.2 liters (1.3 US qt) after draining.
---- 1.4 liters (1.5 US qt) after disassembly.

Differential Oil:

Use Honda shaft drive oil or equivalent hypoid gear oil SAE 80.
- Front
---- 11.5 US oz at draining
---- 16.9 US oz at disassemble
- Rear
---- 15.9 US oz at draining
---- 18.6 US oz at disassemble

Fuel

Honda states that only unleaded fuels can be used in the Pioneer.
- Fuel tank capacity - 7.9 US gal (30L)

Coolant
Honda recommends using only Pro Honda HP coolant. However a equivalent high-quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion protection inhibitors specifically recommended for aluminum engines can be used.
- Solution 50/50, 1:1 mixture with distilled water.
- Capacity:
---- 3.2 liters (3.4 US qt) at drain/replacement.
---- 3.5 liters (3.7 US qt after disassembly.
- Fill reserve tank to between Min and Max level.

Spark Plug
- Standard spark plug - SILMAR7A93
- Gap - 0.031 - 0.035 in (0.8 -0.9 mm)

Brake Fluid
- Honda DOT 4 brake fluid or equivalent DOT 4

Battery
- GYZ16H = 12v - 16Ah/10h.

Is the sub-transmission a gearbox? So far @ 120 miles it is by far the noisiest part of the machine. I ask because I can't understand why a gearbox has engine oil. I just did my 100 hour service and decided to try synthetic 75-140 gear oil to see if it will quiet down. Does anyone have any reason I should not try this? Don't want to burn up the gearbox, but would really like it if it wasn't so loud. Please advise !

NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Quick question on coolant....just boiled over and lost coolant in the bottle. Can I use the Honda blue coolant for cars?

Stuck in the middle of nowhere only NAPA is open today.

Thanks!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Quick question on coolant....just boiled over and lost coolant in the bottle. Can I use the Honda blue coolant for cars?

Stuck in the middle of nowhere only NAPA is open today.

Thanks!
I honestly don't know. But if I were in the same position. I would go with the Blue stuff and worry about it later.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!