P1000 Pioneer 1000-3 What's Behind The Seat Back??

Cellblock70

Cellblock70

Feb 21, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
B203538A 5272 4D6A A254 5139D62F33F9

This is with Honda hard rear panel, seals it up pretty good and cuts the noise down.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks for posting this.

What is the material that appears to be thin and flexible sheet? It looks like treated cardboard.

What's behind that thin material? If that sheet is removed is the engine, DCT, and transfer case exposed?

Last edited:
Reactions: pct and Lady01
Cellblock70

Cellblock70

Feb 21, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for posting this.

What is the material that appears to be thin and flexible sheet? It looks like treated cardboard.

What's behind that thin material? If that sheet is removed is the engine, DCT, and transfer case exposed?
It is thick sheet rubber… The Honda rear panel is the way to go if you want noise reduction. It’s like a truck cab.
What kind of cardboard did you end up going with?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I don't know yet. After many message exchanges I was finally able to talk the service manager at my selling dealer into doing this job. I delivered a large roll of 3/8" thick reclaimed rubber sheet to him them ordered a 20sf of Dynamat from Summitt Racing drop shipped to him. He was reluctant to use the rubber sheet because he is going to remove the back wall panel and attach the insulation then reinstall it between frame and panel.

The young woman service writer just emailed an update. She said the "panel" the SM ordered has arrived and they'll photograph the cab insulation process as they do it. I don't know what panel she is talking about.

I'm sure my bill will be significant and hope it will be effective. I'll post them when I get them.

Cellblock70

Cellblock70

Feb 21, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't know yet. After many message exchanges I was finally able to talk the service manager at my selling dealer into doing this job. I delivered a large roll of 3/8" thick reclaimed rubber sheet to him them ordered a 20sf of Dynamat from Summitt Racing drop shipped to him. He was reluctant to use the rubber sheet because he is going to remove the back wall panel and attach the insulation then reinstall it between frame and panel.

The young woman service writer just emailed an update. She said the "panel" the SM ordered has arrived and they'll photograph the cab insulation process as they do it. I don't know what panel she is talking about.

I'm sure my bill will be significant and hope it will be effective. I'll post them when I get them.
If anything the sheet rubber would be a good backing to support another layer of insulation if needed.
Here is before/after behind the rubber sheet

45F22FE8 37DB 4A1B ADC6 D38C2A4C5B24 3F3C0138 C7DB 4FD4 9AD6 1E3F2BAC6124

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@HBarlow why are you having the dealer install this and not doing it yourself?
Removing the seatback is 5 10mm headed bolts. Removing the lower is seconds, the factory underseat rubber is some more push pins.

If you get comfortable removing the seatback, checking/replacing the air filter is an easy process. Trying to do it with the seat back in place is a nightmare.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@HBarlow why are you having the dealer install this and not doing it yourself?
Removing the seatback is 5 10mm headed bolts. Removing the lower is seconds, the factory underseat rubber is some more push pins.

If you get comfortable removing the seatback, checking/replacing the air filter is an easy process. Trying to do it with the seat back in place is a nightmare.
I understand what you're saying but I'm too old now and my close vision is poor. I'll be 80 in July.

Until just a few years ago I took pride in doing everything around the house and cars myself. Now I'm proud to get up every morning. Getting old is tough.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I understand what you're saying but I'm too old now and my close vision is poor. I'll be 80 in July.

Until just a few years ago I took pride in doing everything around the house and cars myself. Now I'm proud to get up every morning. Getting old is tough.
I completely understand and respect the being older.
We don't typically attract much of a 65+ crowd on the forum.
I apologize if I came across rude.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I completely understand and respect the being older.
We don't typically attract much of a 65+ crowd on the forum.
I apologize if I came across rude.
No apology indicated. You weren't rude at all. You simply assumed I was in the typical age group and offered helpful advice.

I don't mind being old. I'm grateful to be alive. I never expected to be as old as I am.

advertisement
Cellblock70

Cellblock70

Feb 21, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the photos. Now I know the answer to the mystery.

I'd like to see how you are planning to insulate your
No apology indicated. You weren't rude at all. You simply assumed I was in the typical age group and offered helpful advice.

I don't mind being old. I'm grateful to be alive. I never expected to be as old as I am.
That’s awesome. Hope I’m still able to get out a enjoy these machines when I’m your age…I just hit 50 myself.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My buggy is back from the dealer now and I took several photos that show the interior insulation.

The dealership removed the back wall of the cab and the "x" frame and installed Dynamat insulation from above the bottom of the rear window and most of the way down behind the seat back. He also installed Dynamat on the seat back to compensate for the area of the cab back wall that he could not add insulatatuib to.

I had already installed a substitute for Dynamat on the underside of the roof, on the floor under the Honda floor mat, around the seat base, and on the underside of the seat bottom.

I could brag and bs everyone that my cab is now as quiet as a new Mercedes-Benz but I would be lying. There is definitely significant improvement now but it's still noisier than I had hoped. Is the effort worth the cost and trouble? I think so but it's not a dramatic improvement. I can drive it without my ear muffs now but still prefer using the muffs.

The Honda SxS's are simply noisy as hell! They were not designed and built to be air-tight in cold weather or quiet and smooth.

Your results may vary.

IMG 0020 IMG 0021 IMG 0022 IMG 0023 IMG 0024

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I couldn't find these photos earlier. here they are now. The deelership service manager emailed me these photos of the work they did on the back walll of the cab.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!