P1000 Pioneer 1000 5 Dump Bed - Lift Strut Replacement - Heavy Duty

Wisco-Tango

Wisco-Tango

Aug 1, 2022
Fisk, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I ordered my strut and received it today. I attempted to compress it by hand to see how much force was exerted, and could not get the strut to budge one bit. I am not a small guy and used my weight to exert more force with no movement. So I decided to use a ratchet strap to compress it before I installed it on my machine.

Guess what? Still no movement and it appeared to start to try and bow the rod as I exerted more force on the strap. I've sent an e-mail off to the manufacturer to see what's up and to see if I can get a replacement.

Am I missing something? Anyone experience this?

Thanks.

Reactions: Robobrainiac
Wisco-Tango

Wisco-Tango

Aug 1, 2022
Fisk, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My OEM strut for my 1000-3 I believe is longer than that on a 1000-5 as it extends to a little over 25.5" inches. If I ordered the shorter strut you did then you are correct that I wouldn't need to compress it to install. I ordered the longer strut so the box would limit out on travel prior to the strut. Either way the strut should compress the way I had the strap rigged on it.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry friend,
I still don't understand the need to compress it by hand, unless it's too long to fit.
Doesn't surprise me you can't readily compress the cylinder based on its specs.
Stabilus would likely exchange it if not damaged. Lifetime warranty.
Sorry if I didn't explain well enough. #37
Dont hurt yourself.

Wisco-Tango

Wisco-Tango

Aug 1, 2022
Fisk, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sorry friend,
I still don't understand the need to compress it by hand, unless it's too long to fit.
Doesn't surprise me you can't readily compress the cylinder based on its specs.
Stabilus would likely exchange it if not damaged. Lifetime warranty.
Sorry if I didn't explain well enough. #37
Dont hurt yourself.
For all intents and purposes it is to long to fit fully extended. I did that on purpose, as I wanted to maximize the lift height, so I went slightly longer than the max my box will go with the current strut (25.5"). It is roughly 1.5" longer than the current strut.
I can exert way more force then the strut exerts with the way I wrapped my strap around it with the ratchet along the length.

I was surprised when I couldn't even get a small movement when I pulled it from the box and just tried to compress it against the floor with my 260lb fat ass. :)

P

Ppaliani21

Apr 16, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just order what I did. It will fit and you won't be disappointed. Pm me if you need help confirming measurements and your order.
Don't burn more calories and money, buying another oem strut.
Jim
Can you give me a hand ordering a new strut for my 2018 pioneer 10000?

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you give me a hand ordering a new strut for my 2018 pioneer 10000?
Sure,
For a 1000
Order this -

I Ordered the following -
** 10-23-250(stroke), steel strut- 1250 Newton force.
** 1 - M8 X 30 mm elbow ball fitting- top
** 1 - M8 X 18mm elbow ball fitting - bottom.
If you need more, pm me.
I can order for you, if you need.

Last edited:
D

Darby

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just ordered the above - not realizing the 1000 (3), utilizes a longer (about 2" longer) strut than the (5) apparently utilizes. And the jump from a 580 nm to a 1250 is significant.... while this "works" on the 3 - it's NOT optimal. Much harder to close, (I suspect Honda used a stronger strut for the extra weight of the empty bed on a 5 with the seats/etc.) and the bed does not go up as much as it originally did. IF Your trying to do this with a 1000(3), I would try to find a strut that is around 8-900 nm and 25-26" fully extended.

Lochsa88

Lochsa88

Apr 13, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just ordered the above - not realizing the 1000 (3), utilizes a longer (about 2" longer) strut than the (5) apparently utilizes. And the jump from a 580 nm to a 1250 is significant.... while this "works" on the 3 - it's NOT optimal. Much harder to close, (I suspect Honda used a stronger strut for the extra weight of the empty bed on a 5 with the seats/etc.) and the bed does not go up as much as it originally did. IF Your trying to do this with a 1000(3), I would try to find a strut that is around 8-900 nm and 25-26" fully extended.
i havent figured out what went wrong with my order, but im guessing same as yours. i read somewhere that they were likely the same so i just ordered from this post. it didnt fit my P-k3. just hadnt made time to figure if it was my error when ordering or just the wrong measurements. i'll probably make someone a deal on the one i rec'd and maybe try again. Would be nice to know for sure though before i order again. haha attached is pic of the two

Pk3 bed shox

Reactions: Wisco-Tango
D

Darby

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-3
i havent figured out what went wrong with my order, but im guessing same as yours. i read somewhere that they were likely the same so i just ordered from this post. it didnt fit my P-k3. just hadnt made time to figure if it was my error when ordering or just the wrong measurements. i'll probably make someone a deal on the one i rec'd and maybe try again. Would be nice to know for sure though before i order again. haha attached is pic of the two

View attachment 426614
Yea... I had my wife try to open and close the bed on my 2016 Pioneer 1000(3) - with the new strut. She couldn't do it... so it was a waste of $50. It appears my 2024 Pioneer 1000(3) strut is different than the 2016's... but in any event... this strut is too strong for a 3.

Reactions: Lochsa88 and Coeus
Wisco-Tango

Wisco-Tango

Aug 1, 2022
Fisk, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3

View attachment 426614
I ordered the 300mm stroke @ 1250N for my 1000-3 since it is longer than the 100-5 from what you have in your picture. Since I ordered it longer than max lift height I needed to compress it a little and I couldn't @1250n. I even put a ratchet strap on it and the rod began to bow with no movement in the cylinder. Sent it back as I assumed it was defective. They haven't checked it yet, and asked what force I wanted it set to assuming it isn't defective. Sounds like I should spec the 900N one based on @Darby's wife could close, since my wife will likely have the same issue. She is a tough mid-western girl though....

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As @Dirtstiffs-1000 said, do not order a strut that is longer that your original! Trying to compress the strut without bending and damaging it will be near impossible unless you have special tooling, as any compressive force must remain perfectly in column with the strut. The shaft must stay perfectly straight, any bowing at all, with these high "spring" rates will have it bow just a tiny bit - that's all it takes for it to quickly bow more and take a permanent bend. I.e. you can't compress it with a ratchet strap or similar with any hope of not damaging it.

Also, having extra unused travel in a gas spring is of no benefit, as one would expect when installing a metal coil spring.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!