P1000 Pioneer 1000 passenger side steering slack?

Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So at first I thought I had a bearing going out but after lifting it up to check the play I can see the slack is coming from the passenger side steering box. What causes this and how do I fix it? Seems to be about 1/4” slack which is easily heard by rocking the machine side to side or or a uneven trail.
FDB55DCC 4530 489A 8BD6 44F640F61648

Reactions: Lady01
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The first thing to check is your inner tie rod end.

Beyond that, you go to the "Steering slop" thread @joeymt33 did a while back. Step 1 is replacing a plastic bushing (order that to replace at the same time you do the tie rod end) and then adjusting the steering box tension bolt, as he shows in the video.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Is this something warranty would cover? And how do I keep this from happening again? I only have like 500 miles on this 2021.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I doubt it, as those are standard wear parts, but you could always ask your dealer.

500 miles is very short for this kind of wear. I think I see an aftermarket arm there...if you're running bigger than stock, you'll wear these things faster - but still, that's short.

Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I doubt it, as those are standard wear parts, but you could always ask your dealer.

500 miles is very short for this kind of wear. I think I see an aftermarket arm there...if you're running bigger than stock, you'll wear these things faster - but still, that's short.
Yes sir, super Atv a arms and 29” tires. Is this something that would cause damage if not replaced right away?

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The tie rod end and the plastic bushing are wear parts that get sloppier and sloppier. The tier rod can eventually fail.

As for the box adjustment, I don't really know the longer-term effects.

Reactions: Rayger143
Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So i will get the washer and bushing ordered but I would like to understand it’s purpose a bit more. From the drawings it looks like the bushing only helps keep steering rack centered in its tube….is that correct? It doesn’t fell like it moves off center in there but rather loose in and out. Anyone care to explain it a bit more?

also do I need to remove both sides in order to get the bushing out?

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, mine was still a bit sloppy after changing out the bushing and tie rod end. I think the box adjustment is the real key.

Heck, if your tie rod end is OK, you could start with the box adjustment to see how much better it gets.

I went ahead and replaced my box since I was at 10K miles and didn't really understand the adjustment either.

I figured I'd go thru this one on the bench so it'd be a backup, and I'd take the time to fully understand the adjustment while it's out. Haven't gotten around to that part yet...

The service manual does give you a little more insight.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
So i will get the washer and bushing ordered but I would like to understand it’s purpose a bit more. From the drawings it looks like the bushing only helps keep steering rack centered in its tube….is that correct? It doesn’t fell like it moves off center in there but rather loose in and out. Anyone care to explain it a bit more?

also do I need to remove both sides in order to get the bushing out?
I'm not trying to be smart or anything but just in case your not realizing this .After reading this thread I'am not sure if you realize that there is a inner and outer tie rod on the shaft. The inner one is inside the bellows that you will see when you remove the bellows. From your description is the one that is loose . I'am almost wondering due to the low mileage if it's maybe just coming loose on the threaded end of the shaft. Pull the bellows off by cutting off the clamps and slide the bellows towards the outer tie rod and then you should beable to check out the inner one if it's indeed worn or coming undone.. Again not trying to offend.

advertisement
Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm not trying to be smart or anything but just in case your not realizing this .After reading this thread I'am not sure if you realize that there is a inner and outer tie rod on the shaft. The inner one is inside the bellows that you will see when you remove the bellows. From your description is the one that is loose . I'am almost wondering due to the low mileage if it's maybe just coming loose on the threaded end of the shaft. Pull the bellows off by cutting off the clamps and slide the bellows towards the outer tie rod and then you should beable to check out the inner one if it's indeed worn or coming undone.. Again not trying to offend.
That is my first target to investigate. Thank you sir. Fingers crossed that is it lol

Alaska350

Alaska350

Feb 17, 2021
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So after opening the boot up I can see for sure the steering rack has a little bit of play right where the bushing sits. How is this possible on a machine with 300 miles?

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!