BOX1

P1000 Front end loose? Sloppy steering?

J

JTW

I’m sure that would extend the service interval. I think those bushings are about 15 bucks and not too bad to change but I would try a softer metal just to see what happens. Looks like it would be a fairly intricate piece if it were made of metal which would make it expensive.
I see... I haven’t changed mine yet. But it’s needed

Reactions: joeymt33
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure you punch the new washer so it locks the steering pieces together. The driver side doesn’t have this bushing.

I'm confused about punching this lock washer. Everything else I'm reading says to line it up with the slots and put it together. The reference to punching it in the service manual has the whole steering box out on a bench.

If I'm just swapping out a tie rod, what am I punching, and how?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm confused about punching this lock washer. Everything else I'm reading says to line it up with the slots and put it together. The reference to punching it in the service manual has the whole steering box out on a bench.

Honestly I don’t punch them in mine but I’ve got to say the proper way so someone doesn’t have one come loose and then completely loose.

But here’s what the manual states:

4e88191ba4d4ad3a969433dd0cd3369b

Reactions: Adam490
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV

If you look at the lock washer that you pulled off (if it was factory installed) you'll see they actually have 4 indents to prevent it from loosening up. A lot of people don't punch them when replacing on the side of a the trail because it's a pain in the ass to get to.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Also, just because you line up the two pieces in the slots doesn’t prevent the tire rod from spinning. Line up the lock washer with the two slots will prevent the washer from spinning and then punch the washer onto the tie rod and that will keep the tie rod from spinning

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

refer to the pictures in this post

whole thread is about replacing the tie rod.

Reactions: lee and Smitty335
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys...how's a tie rod going to spin when it has a locking nut on the tie rod end?

Edit: wait, that's wrong. The ball joint can spin and unthread at the steering box side.

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
...and I'm assuming that when you take one apart, you're pushing the punch indentations back out by spinning it, or possibly tearing off those tabs?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyway, I did the steering "bearing" (plastic bushing) last night, I'll go back in today and punch that locker.

One note on the bushing, Joey's write-up says the two tabs on the bushing go into two holes in the steering box - it's actually just a groove going all the way around the inside of the hole that they clip into.

I also found that most of my slop came from the nappy old ball joint on the steering box end of my tie rod, so be prepared to replace the tie rod altogether if you're looking at sloppy steering.

I haven't gotten to trying step 3 yet...

Reactions: ToddACimer
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks guys...how's a tie rod going to spin when it has a locking nut on the tie rod end?

Edit: wait, that's wrong. The ball joint can spin and unthread at the steering box side.

Though improbable, who wants to find out at 60 mph? 😬

Reactions: Smitty335
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Though improbable, who wants to find out at 60 mph? 😬

Not improbable, if it’s SLIGHTLY loose all the vibration and steering movements WILL loosen it up. A little orange thread locker and punching the tabs is good insurance.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Not improbable, if it’s SLIGHTLY loose all the vibration and steering movements WILL loosen it up. A little orange thread locker and punching the tabs is good insurance.
Also, any small bit of slack in the steering components puts a lot of stress on the rack. My rack was tight like new at 1000 miles, but as soon as my SATV bushings went to s*** in the arms after the driver side upper loosened up a couple times it wore the rack bushing significantly.

J

JTW

Also, any small bit of slack in the steering components puts a lot of stress on the rack. My rack was tight like new at 1000 miles, but as soon as my SATV bushings went to s*** in the arms after the driver side upper loosened up a couple times it wore the rack bushing significantly.
(Clears throat)..... have you considered??

• Haha
Reactions: Mudwing
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went back in yesterday to punch that locking washer. It's really hard to see where to punch when you're working ON the vehicle and not on a bench. And you cant get to more than one or two of them with a punch. I did the best I could, anyway.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I went back in yesterday to punch that locking washer. It's really hard to see where to punch when you're working ON the vehicle and not on a bench. And you cant get to more than one or two of them with a punch. I did the best I could, anyway.
Yep, that's about all you can do.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I replaced the plastic bearing 5000 miles ago, never did @joeymt33 's second step. Now, recently I'm showing wobble on the RF tire pretty bad. I thought it was the inner tie rod end, replaced it with a new one and here's how it looks after completion:

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I'm looking for direction here. I can re-do the plastic bearing, and I will try to tighten the adjusting screw, but I wonder if I'm beyond that? Is this steering box in need of rebuild or replace instead?

LF side is tight as a drum, no problems there.

Running 30s on 1.5" spacers, Texas Tough Customs 3" lifted forward arms.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went ahead and ordered a new steering box, figuring I can probably go thru this worn one when it's off the machine, perhaps rebuild it and keep it as a backup.

Reactions: ChadD
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!