P1000 Popping noise and sloppy steering

Tyler6

Tyler6

Mar 12, 2021
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Installed satv front a arms and Viking 814 shocks and now have a popping noise when suspension is in kind of travel movement went over everything again and everything seems tight. Also steering is really all over the place when slowing down fast. Any ideas any input would be appreciated and ill look it over again

Reactions: JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Installed satv front a arms and Viking 814 shocks and now have a popping noise when suspension is in kind of travel movement went over everything again and everything seems tight. Also steering is really all over the place when slowing down fast. Any ideas any input would be appreciated and ill look it over again
Have you checked the ball joints/tie-rod ends?

Reactions: Remington
Tyler6

Tyler6

Mar 12, 2021
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, I installed new balljoints with a arms and tie rods were tight then only put couple hundred miles on since installing them

Reactions: JenElio
Tyler6

Tyler6

Mar 12, 2021
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hoping it’s just brass bushings in the shock mount

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yes, I installed new balljoints with a arms and tie rods were tight then only put couple hundred miles on since installing them
I've had the top bolt on my SATV arms loosen up a little causing the arm to make a popping sound but the steering being all over the place sounds like you might have a bad/loose ball joint somewhere. Or maybe your steering rack has a ton of slop in it......how many miles on machine? Wheel bearings......not sure if they would cause that much play....

Tyler6

Tyler6

Mar 12, 2021
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
3300 miles and I’ll check balls joints and tie rods again this evening and for the bolts to be tight but just now going to change brakes front and rear so I’ll give wheels bearings a good check as well

Tyler6

Tyler6

Mar 12, 2021
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well got home and jacked it up and both front wheel bearings seem to be my problem along with the right rear as well. Was hoping to get as good of service for the 1000 as my old 700 didn’t have to change a wheel bearing until 10000 mile so guess breaks and wheel bearings will be on order for the weekend

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well got home and jacked it up and both front wheel bearings seem to be my problem along with the right rear as well. Was hoping to get as good of service for the 1000 as my old 700 didn’t have to change a wheel bearing until 10000 mile so guess breaks and wheel bearings will be on order for the weekend
Once you add arms and bigger tires, wheel bearings will be way more often than before. Be ready for a-arm bushings anywhere from 500 to 1500 miles also.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How bad were your bearings? Did they cause your wheels to wobble when it was on jack stands? That would seem unusual at 3k.

With 30" tires my bearings have over 11k on them, but I do add grease on brake changes.

The squirrely behavior when you're slowing down is more likely alignment. How did you set it, and what did it measure?

Also, did you start with new shock bushings? Were they tight when you put it together? Popping noises are often due to binding somewhere. When assembling new suspension components, best to get it together with bolts hand-tightened, set it back down on the floor, roll it, bounce it around with your weight, then tighten it up.

Tyler6

Tyler6

Mar 12, 2021
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bearings are not horrible just a little more than normal movements ,yes all new bushings when put the shocks on

Reactions: Smitty335
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Something too tight?

Reactions: Smitty335
Tyler6

Tyler6

Mar 12, 2021
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Think I’ve got it lined out Gonna recheck front end alignment and install the new brakes today
Something too tight?
not that I'm aware of checked all the bolts last night and tightened lower a arm bolts a little more as JenElio suggested but going back apart this evening to do brakes all around and going to double check all front end bolts and shock mounts and front alignment

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know i am late to the party here and hopefully you have this solved by now, but just to be sure check the jam nuts on the heim joints on those SATV arms (if you havent already). I forgot them on one side of mine after installing and they made noise, more of a knock than a pop, and wiggled more than you would think.

Tyler6

Tyler6

Mar 12, 2021
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did manage to get it figured out as the bolts on the a arms and jam nuts had both worked loose so added little drop of lock tight.
I know i am late to the party here and hopefully you have this solved by now, but just to be sure check the jam nuts on the heim joints on those SATV arms (if you havent already). I forgot them on one side of mine after installing and they made noise, more of a knock than a pop, and wiggled more than you would think.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!