GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally found this thread again. I have notices a click in my front end lately played hell tryin to figure out what it was. Pulled the boot off the tierod and sure enough the little bushing is wore out causing slop. Thanks for the detailed write up Joey!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
One more pic from the manual for reference

View attachment 58913

Also, I use zip ties for the tie rod boots and have so since 2000 miles ago and they have never leaked. I had to cut the metal bands off the inner part of the boot. If you wish to use new bands, don’t forget to order.

One other important thought. If you must field change a tie rod, the hardest part is cutting that metal band off without cutting the boot. The zip ties are no problem. I choose zip ties but you should choose what ever you’re comfortable with.
Great write up and info @joeymt33 also there is alternative clamp that fits the tie rod boot thanks to @lee in his tie rod replacement thread. The clamp is airbox boot clamp from a 1984 ATC110, should you try to order online from parts fiche.

Also that the rod boot is on backorder everywhere indicated NOT SHIPPING been trying to get one, mine caught a piece of fence wire are tore it up.

Hot Tip: When replacing the band use Honda part # 95018-46250, BAND, AIR CLEANER CONNECTING TUBE (46). This band is easy to put on and take off for next time!

Multi - Field Stripping a Tie Rod

My 16 P1K5D front end is loose as well after being hammered 2400miles in rocks, thanks to your write up now know what to do!

R

rossjames155

Dec 16, 2016
North Jefferson state
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Joey, I am tackling this project right now and, for the life of me, CANNOT get that white bushing to come out. What’s the trick? I’m using picks like what you pictured but no go. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ChadD and BWAF
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi Joey, I am tackling this project right now and, for the life of me, CANNOT get that white bushing to come out. What’s the trick? I’m using picks like what you pictured but no go. Thanks!

You may have to remove both tie rods and turn the rack so it sticks out the driver side. This will give more access on the passenger side.

I don’t think there is a bushing in the driver side.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

What’s the story? Have any luck?

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought I’d share my quest to tighten up the front of Traveller. The 30” Roctanes have beat the front end over the past two years.

Here’s a vid of the slop before I started.

Would the RB3 steering rack eliminate this as a future problem?

Reactions: ChadD
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Would the RB3 steering rack eliminate this as a future problem?

I don’t think so. All gears will wear in overtime and need adjustment. I hope their rack is adjustable.

With my steering rack tightened and adjusted I hit the trail with a friend who has one of those RB3 steering racks and we only rode 100 miles on the exact same trails and both of us have 32 inch tires except his vehicle is lighter than mine and his rack was way looser than mine at the end of the long weekend ride. I came home and popped another bushing in mine and now it is like brand new and I’m not sure what he’s going to do with his because I don’t know if it is serviceable or not.

I think the RB3 rack is a good product and shouldn’t break. I have seen two OEM steering racks break on the trail and I would think the RB3 heavy duty rack is better that way. After seeing their rack in person I’m just not yet convinced that it is worth twice the price of the OEM version.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I don’t think so. All gears will wear in overtime and need adjustment. I hope their rack is adjustable.

With my steering rack tightened and adjusted I hit the trail with a friend who has one of those RB3 steering racks and we only rode 100 miles on the exact same trails and both of us have 32 inch tires except his vehicle is lighter than mine and his rack was way looser than mine at the end of the long weekend ride. I came home and popped another bushing in mine and now it is like brand new and I’m not sure what he’s going to do with his because I don’t know if it is serviceable or not.

I think the RB3 rack is a good product and shouldn’t break. I have seen two OEM steering racks break on the trail and I would think the RB3 heavy duty rack is better that way. After seeing their rack in person I’m just not yet convinced that it is worth twice the price of the OEM version.

Correction, 3 times the price

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Been going back and forth on steering rack. Noticed awhile ago the massive slop the factory has, probably a good inch at tires edge. Been driving it like that forever trying to make it till winter.
Going to order everything and see if she comes back solid. I appreciate the write up it does give me some hope. I wanted the RB3 setup so I’d be comfortable with upgraded ties but if she come in I’ll hold off

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Been going back and forth on steering rack. Noticed awhile ago the massive slop the factory has, probably a good inch at tires edge. Been driving it like that forever trying to make it till winter.
Going to order everything and see if she comes back solid. I appreciate the write up it does give me some hope. I wanted the RB3 setup so I’d be comfortable with upgraded ties but if she come in I’ll hold off

The bushing can be a pain in the butt to get out the first time you do it but after you know how to do it it’s actually quite easy. Just holler at me if you need a hand.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

JTW

What if we had a brass bushing for the stock rack? Would that solve a lot of the issue with slop?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What if we had a brass bushing for the stock rack? Would that solve a lot of the issue with slop?

I’m sure that would extend the service interval. I think those bushings are about 15 bucks and not too bad to change but I would try a softer metal just to see what happens. Looks like it would be a fairly intricate piece if it were made of metal which would make it expensive.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!