P1000 Pioneer 1000 water pump seals

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Ok so my wifes P1000 has had overheating issues since about day 1. Ive bought new radiators, caps, cooling fans, double cooling fans, new thermostats, ran it without thermostats, bought fancy $50 a gallon antifreeze, did compression checks, cooling system leak down tests...etc, etc. I hate this machine. I dont like looking at it anymore. @DG Rider mentioned maybe its the water pump seals. I bought a water pump impellar kit for it before thinking maybe it had an impellar like a boat that was rubber or hard plastic and needed to be replaced every so often. When the new impellar arrived to the house I seen that it was metal, and guessed that the impellar wasnt the problem. I took the impellar cover off of the engine and seen the metal impellar was fine, poked around in there for a bit and determined everything was good. I put the new rubber seal on the cover and buttoned it back up. That was months ago. I have a cooling system vacuum that I use everytime I have to mess with the cooling system. I vacuum it down, wait awhile to see if I lose vacuum, I never lose vacuum, and I suck in new fluids. Well DG Rider mentioned recently about the water pump seals and I looked for the original kit I bought but couldnt find it. Ordered a new seal kit just assuming I could pop the cover off again, pull the impellar off this time, and replace the seal around the shaft that the impellar bolts too. Got to digging around on the internet and ran across a few things that lead me to believe I need to take the big alternator cover off, and that it is possibly a one time use alternator cover, and also the oil needs to be changed again when you do this. Can anybody verify this? I just changed the oil when I changed out the clutch packs about a month ago. I would hope that the alternator cover is not a one time use cover, thats just stooooopid if it is. There is 3 seals in this little kit I bought and I was wondering if the seals have to be changed out from the inside of the cover, then the new cover should come with seals in it if they really are one time use? I tried typing it up in the search bar on here a couple different ways but came up with nothing. If I can change the seals out from the outside of the alternator cover, then thats something I will probably do this weekend. If its something like I have to buy another alternator cover and change the oil and filters again, I think Im going to bring this thing out in the woods far from my house at 3 in the morning and burn it to the ground! Lol Any info? Thanks yall!!

20210430 134242

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Also, some extra info is it constantly has air in it, constantly. I cut an easy access panel in the drivers seat by the seat belt buckles because I constantly have to get to the bleeder bolt on the thermostat housing to bleed air out and add more radiator fluid. All. The. Time. Always. Sometimes the dash says its overheating and the engine will be boiling hot and the radiator cold. Air in the system. All the time. I can count on one hand how many times this machine has NOT overheated on a ride.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Did you try running Crunk Juice in the radiator 😜

Seriously though, hope you get the over heating issue figured out. I have read in some threads that you need to "burp" the system with the radiator cap off and the front end elevated a bit.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ok so my wifes P1000 has had overheating issues since about day 1. Ive bought new radiators, caps, cooling fans, double cooling fans, new thermostats, ran it without thermostats, bought fancy $50 a gallon antifreeze, did compression checks, cooling system leak down tests...etc, etc. I hate this machine. I dont like looking at it anymore. @DG Rider mentioned maybe its the water pump seals. I bought a water pump impellar kit for it before thinking maybe it had an impellar like a boat that was rubber or hard plastic and needed to be replaced every so often. When the new impellar arrived to the house I seen that it was metal, and guessed that the impellar wasnt the problem. I took the impellar cover off of the engine and seen the metal impellar was fine, poked around in there for a bit and determined everything was good. I put the new rubber seal on the cover and buttoned it back up. That was months ago. I have a cooling system vacuum that I use everytime I have to mess with the cooling system. I vacuum it down, wait awhile to see if I lose vacuum, I never lose vacuum, and I suck in new fluids. Well DG Rider mentioned recently about the water pump seals and I looked for the original kit I bought but couldnt find it. Ordered a new seal kit just assuming I could pop the cover off again, pull the impellar off this time, and replace the seal around the shaft that the impellar bolts too. Got to digging around on the internet and ran across a few things that lead me to believe I need to take the big alternator cover off, and that it is possibly a one time use alternator cover, and also the oil needs to be changed again when you do this. Can anybody verify this? I just changed the oil when I changed out the clutch packs about a month ago. I would hope that the alternator cover is not a one time use cover, thats just stooooopid if it is. There is 3 seals in this little kit I bought and I was wondering if the seals have to be changed out from the inside of the cover, then the new cover should come with seals in it if they really are one time use? I tried typing it up in the search bar on here a couple different ways but came up with nothing. If I can change the seals out from the outside of the alternator cover, then thats something I will probably do this weekend. If its something like I have to buy another alternator cover and change the oil and filters again, I think Im going to bring this thing out in the woods far from my house at 3 in the morning and burn it to the ground! Lol Any info? Thanks yall!!

View attachment 269292
Dang bro I hope you get the s*** figured out. Mine overheated once up in ONF and when I got back home, burp'd it and been good ever since 🤞

Good luck!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Also, some extra info is it constantly has air in it, constantly. I cut an easy access panel in the drivers seat by the seat belt buckles because I constantly have to get to the bleeder bolt on the thermostat housing to bleed air out and add more radiator fluid. All. The. Time. Always. Sometimes the dash says its overheating and the engine will be boiling hot and the radiator cold. Air in the system. All the time. I can count on one hand how many times this machine has NOT overheated on a ride.
So.. I have an idea. it might sound stupid and I'm not sure how it would work.
With the radiator being cold... the pump is not pumping. Mostly because it is spinning in an air pocket.
What if you found/made a tube to replace the air bleed screw one that leads to a larger tube that would collect/hold the air.
Then, the air would have somewhere to go.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
With the radiator being cold... the pump is not pumping. Mostly because it is spinning in an air pocket.
What if you found/made a tube to replace the air bleed screw one that leads to a larger tube that would collect/hold the air.
Na...
Disregard this... The air pocket would just make the pressure be less.
Higher pressure = higher boil point.
The system needs to be AIR Free...
Any air will lower the boil point.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Did you try running Crunk Juice in the radiator 😜

Seriously though, hope you get the over heating issue figured out. I have read in some threads that you need to "burp" the system with the radiator cap off and the front end elevated a bit.
Ive burped it plenty. Even winched the front end like 6' off the ground once to a tree limb.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
That doesnt sound stupid at all. Ive actually mentioned on this website before when I was complaing about the air in the system and constantly having to bleed it at the bolt on the thermostat housing, that I was pondering taking the air bleed bolt out of the thermostat housing and trying to find like a stainless steel brake line or something that can thread into the hole, then run the line over to an easy to get to spot behind the drivers seat or something. Like lift the bed up and it will be hid right there in the gap between the bed and the back of the drivers seat. Open the radiator cap and crack a little valve on the end of the line and all the air bleeds out, then top off the radiator. Lol However, I shouldnt have to think of weird solutions like this. I just wanna have one that I dont have to do all this to every time we ride. I think you are right though, if I could move the air pocket further up a hose, the impellar would be spinning in water, not air, and possibly transfer water from the radiator and back like its supposed to. Thanks for the idea.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Na...
Disregard this... The air pocket would just make the pressure be less.
Higher pressure = higher boil point.
The system needs to be AIR Free...
Any air will lower the boil point.
Gotcha. Like when I was in the Navy I learned they put the Evaps under a vacuum because water in a vacuum boils at a lower temp, therefore getting freshwater made for the ship faster.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So does anybody know about if the alternator cover has to be taken off to change the water pump seals, and if it does, is it a one time use cover, and does the oil and filters need to be changed again? It seems rediculous if its a one time use cover. Thank yall for the info.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Sorry I just seen that you showed me this thread. Yes Im following all the guidelines in the thread. The fan works and comes on like it should. I have heard you can take your sxs in and have them give you computer an update for when the fan is supposed to come on and off. Ive never did that though. I called about it once and talked to the service department about having it done and they had no clue what I was talking about. Then I looked it up and screenshoted the Honda bulletin or whatever they call it about the fan reprogram computer flash, with the intentions of going into the dealer and showing it to them to make them aware of it, but I never followed through, because to me, the problem was more than a fan/computer flash.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Sorry I just seen that you showed me this thread. Yes Im following all the guidelines in the thread. The fan works and comes on like it should. I have heard you can take your sxs in and have them give you computer an update for when the fan is supposed to come on and off. Ive never did that though. I called about it once and talked to the service department about having it done and they had no clue what I was talking about. Then I looked it up and screenshoted the Honda bulletin or whatever they call it about the fan reprogram computer flash, with the intentions of going into the dealer and showing it to them to make them aware of it, but I never followed through, because to me, the problem was more than a fan/computer flash.
No worries Bro. Hope you get the issue(s) figure out.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
It's an aluminum cover and pretty sure it has to come off to get full access to the pump. Your going to loose some oil when you pull it but shouldn't be a lot. There is a drain hose coming out of the pump to let you know if the seals are bad. The end of my hose has always been a little wet but no dripping. Have you checked all the clamps for all the hoses?

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
It's an aluminum cover and pretty sure it has to come off to get full access to the pump. Your going to loose some oil when you pull it but shouldn't be a lot. There is a drain hose coming out of the pump to let you know if the seals are bad. The end of my hose has always been a little wet but no dripping. Have you checked all the clamps for all the hoses?
Yes Sir all hose clamps have been checked. Just checked it and its dry. No sign of it leaking on the concrete in the shop either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady01
1950Willys

1950Willys

Apr 4, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
The boiling hot water yet cold radiator makes me think either thermostat not opening to allow water to go toward radiator or air in system Do you happen to have a heater installed? Some heater installs place a shut off valve in line to keep heater out of the loop in summer. I've heard of people shutting off one valve but not opening the bypass valve causing overheating.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The boiling hot water yet cold radiator makes me think either thermostat not opening to allow water to go toward radiator or air in system Do you happen to have a heater installed? Some heater installs place a shut off valve in line to keep heater out of the loop in summer. I've heard of people shutting off one valve but not opening the bypass valve causing overheating.
No heater, I live in Florida. Ive replaced the thermostat a few times and even ran it without a thermostat. It definitely gets air in the system no matter what.

Reactions: Lady01
1950Willys

1950Willys

Apr 4, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Since its a closed system and you have burped it but air keeps getting in maybe overflow bottle , overflow tube or radiator cap failure? No other place for air to enter

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!