P500 Pioneer 500 w/Camso X4S Tracks

scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
My Camso X4S tracks arrived a couple days ago and I had my dealer do the initial install. We probably won’t have enough snow to test them this season (although Lake Erie is wide open for Lake Effect snow) but I wanted to make sure they work before taking them off for the summer. I have the Torqlocker front diff lock and hope they‘l do great in the snow. Normally I run the 26” Bighorn 1.0, which do pretty great in mud and snow. In WNY we’ve been getting more frequent 3’-7’ snow dumps, often before snowmobile season can begin, and I’d like to be able to get around when the roads are closed, help my neighbors, do some recreational riding, and help during maple season in a sugarbush that is often waist deep with snow.

I’m helping my uncle in his maple syrup operation so I use the buggy to get through the woods, tap trees, check lines, etc, so I figured I‘d test the tracks for the remainder of the season. I’ll share my initial thoughts.

Steering Effort- I have to say with little/no snow it is pretty tough to steer when in 4WD: the Torqlocker makes it harder for sure. I’ll probably add power steering over the summer. Once you are moving it’s not too bad and it’s better in 2WD, but in any sort of slick condition I think 4WD is a must. Turning radius takes a hit.

Gear Reduction- The setup has a gear reduction of almost half. Top speed (limiter) is 21-22 mph via GPS, and about 40 mph with wheels.

Traction- Traction of course seems phenomenal. On the tractor rutted logging trails they tend to stay on top of the deep mud- the bighorns would crawl through no problem but the tracks were pretty effortless. I did find some old drifted areas and the tracks stayed right on top. I’m definitely hoping for some fresh snow to test out on before summer hits but who knows what Mother Nature has in mind.

Ride- the ride is definitely harsher but not terrible. The sugarbush is fairly rough terrain so even with tires I take it pretty easy and the tracks don’t slow things down much. Crossing perpendicular to deep tractor ruts is better than the tires as the tracks bridge the holes. Slow and easy is the way.

I’ll try to post a video and update the thread as I test them out. If anyone has questions I’ll try to answer them.

BF5FD71F 4312 40D2 A1D3 DB24B476BDA9
958F0427 C235 4818 9258 696F116AC830
DF869409 9EB9 48D7 A008 89BDE609FCDB

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
20221224 150454
IMG 20230205 WA0003

They'll do great in the snow, in really fluffy snow....say 2-3 feet deep it will get bogged down a bit. Once the snow sets up a bit it's unstoppable. I added an enclosure and a diesel heater to stay warm.

20221127 143231

scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
View attachment 374911
View attachment 374913

They'll do great in the snow, in really fluffy snow....say 2-3 feet deep it will get bogged down a bit. Once the snow sets up a bit it's unstoppable. I added an enclosure and a diesel heater to stay warm.

View attachment 374914
Nice- I’ve got soft doors I’ll probably wait until next winter to put on. I think I’ll worry about power steering before heat- maybe just one of those 12v defrosters to help keep the windshield clear and give a little heat. Do you have power steering? TorqLocker?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Nice- I’ve got soft doors I’ll probably wait until next winter to put on. I think I’ll worry about power steering before heat- maybe just one of those 12v defrosters to help keep the windshield clear and give a little heat. Do you have power steering? TorqLocker?
Yes on both.
The little 12v heaters are useless, I've tried a couple, don't waste your money

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Camso T4S Tracks on P500 are great.
Almost Requires
Torq- locker ( both front tracks pulling when needed )
EPS ( Puts the pleasure back in the ride )
Enclosed Cab ( without<>setting in waist deep snow all the time )

Other options: better pull <> Mid-range RPM.
Air intake snorkle with ( K&N APOLO set up )
Open up Exhaust Outlet
DynoJet-Power Vision

Diesel heater or water work best ( for confort ) I've only used the water set up.

Have found the P500/520 <> With Tracks <> performs best in All Conditions in 4wd ( need the front tracks pulling <> not just rear tracks pushing ) try it let us know if you find the same.

Last edited:
scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Here's a quick review I made for the Camso X4S on my Pioneer 500 as tested in the sugarbush.

So far they really work great in the mud and rutted trails but I definitely want to get power steering. I'm hoping we'll get enough snow to test at some point but that will probably have to wait until next year.

I've found that 2WD works better on dirt and paved roads but I switch to 4WD mode when it's slippery at all.

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My neighbour had tracks on his 500. Power steering is almost a must, stops the bump steer and definitely makes it steer like it does with tires. We took his machine out on some crown land to test it out. we could go through snow that was up to the top of the hood. Unbelievable traction. I had a 700 that i put tracks on. I was forever hitting the rev limiter so I put on larger drive sprockets ( 2or3 more teeth).
IMG 6781

I sold the 700-4 and bought a 1000-5. I tried the ProArmour WhiteOut tires (14x14x30)
IMG 8149

no comparison to tracks, so I installed tracks. If you are in snow, nothing compares to tracks?
IMG 8627

scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
My neighbour had tracks on his 500. Power steering is almost a must, stops the bump steer and definitely makes it steer like it does with tires. We took his machine out on some crown land to test it out. we could go through snow that was up to the top of the hood. Unbelievable traction. I had a 700 that i put tracks on. I was forever hitting the rev limiter so I put on larger drive sprockets ( 2or3 more teeth). View attachment 375385

I sold the 700-4 and bought a 1000-5. I tried the ProArmour WhiteOut tires (14x14x30) View attachment 375401
no comparison to tracks, so I installed tracks. If you are in snow, nothing compares to tracks?View attachment 375404
I can't wait to get a chance to try them out in the snow! Last year we were waist deep in snow in the sugarbush- this year is bizarre with the WNY area having a 6-7 foot snow in November (north of most of snow country) and a 4 foot blizzard around Christmas (mostly north of snow country) but otherwise has been unusually warm and mild with mostly bare lawns.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
@scottn57, thanks for the review. I’m wondering if a person was in say knee deep or waist deep snow what flotation would tracks provide? I know lots depends on if it’s powder or consolidated snow etc, etc. I’m just thinking if flotation was reasonable they’d be nicer (compared to a sled) for slower moving and not need momentum (like a sled) for roaming about out in the weeds and timber, not necessarily on a trail. Kinda like sugar bush works only in deep snow.
Thanks for insights in advance.
j

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@scottn57, thanks for the review. I’m wondering if a person was in say knee deep or waist deep snow what flotation would tracks provide? I know lots depends on if it’s powder or consolidated snow etc, etc. I’m just thinking if flotation was reasonable they’d be nicer (compared to a sled) for slower moving and not need momentum (like a sled) for roaming about out in the weeds and timber, not necessarily on a trail. Kinda like sugar bush works only in deep snow.
j
Check post #8, powder up to the hood and we didn't get stuck. Knee deep would be a walk in the park. Over Christmas we had 70cm of snow in 24hrs. My sled didn't get 6' before it struggled and was buried. Two of my neighbours (one of them has my old P700 pictured above) were out and about without any issues

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Check post #8, powder up to the hood and we didn't get stuck. Knee deep would be a walk in the park. Over Christmas we had 70cm of snow in 24hrs. My sled didn't get 6' before it struggled and was buried. Two of my neighbours (one of them has my old P700 pictured above) were out and about without any issues
Or post #2, I've driven through drifts over the hood and it doesn't slow it down. If really fluffy deep snow it sets about 10-12" into the snow, on stuff that's set up maybe a couple inches. A snowmobile doesn't compare except for the speed. I've climbed up & over snow banks cut straight by the road plows 4 foot tall and it makes it look easy

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
@NorthernJoe, @906UP,

Thanks for the clarification fellas, will be keeping an eye open for some used tracks. Don’t really need, but always wanted some (pending how they floated etc). Not a sled dude as I used to do it for work (forestry engineering year round… miles and miles of fighting with sleds and snowshoeing… knee deep every step.. heh) they are instruments of torture, sleds & snowshoes. Now retired, thinkin’ on the Dozer with tracks might be ok….
thanks again.
j

scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
j
If you divide total weight by the surface area of the tracks, the Pioneer 500 compares well against other machines with the larger 4S1 tracks. I can’t wait to try it out and deep snow myself.

FDA9EBE5 DFCF 4474 9021 C2139DDB8923

scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
We got some more snow so I’ve done more testing of the Honda Pioneer 500 with Camso X4S tracks, and so far I have to say the winter traction is impressive. We don’t have deep snow, but haven’t found anything that stops the little buggy. I have the SuperATV ePower Steering ordered- hopefully it arrives while I still have the tracks on. We have some more snow forecast so MAYBE we’ll see some drifts that give a challenge before winter is done.

Here’s another video I made:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!