P700 Pioneer 700 hard to steer.

B

Bean90

Jul 4, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a 2016 Pioneer 700. I noticed riding it today that it felt hard to steer, like it was it was in 4wd, but the 4wd light is off. I took it in and out of 4wd and can’t really tell a difference in steering. Is it possible my front drive is staying engaged. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: Isaiah
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Do you have the delux model? It came with power steering in 2016. It is possible that your power steering has gone out.

Look at everything and make sure you haven't bent something.

B

Bean90

Jul 4, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 700-2
It doesn’t have power steering. It isn’t the deluxe model. I believe the front end is staying engaged.

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
Jack the rear ended up or find a spot that’s slick to see if the rear tires spin without the front turning you may have a ball joint issue tie rod end issue or front cv joint issue

Reactions: Backwoods
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
check on the passengers side of the front diff. there is 2 levers. 1 for lock and 1 to engage the front end. jack the front end off the ground and see if 1 tire will spin with out spinning the other sounds like your not in 4wd but your front end is locked

dannyboy

dannyboy

The older I get the better I was
Supporting Member
Dec 11, 2017
NW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-2

3. Talon X
Just developed this little issue this week. We have a 2015 700-2 that's been no problem what so ever until this week when the steering decided to get hard to live with. Tried all the tests you folks have suggested above but I'm still stumped. I've got the feeling the problem lies somewhere in the steering gear box, but have no proof of that. Any thoughts?

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just developed this little issue this week. We have a 2015 700-2 that's been no problem what so ever until this week when the steering decided to get hard to live with. Tried all the tests you folks have suggested above but I'm still stumped. I've got the feeling the problem lies somewhere in the steering gear box, but have no proof of that. Any thoughts?
Jack the front end off the ground if its still ward to steer then its definitely the steering box. Also while you have it off try to spin 1 of the front tires and see if the other one spins the same way. With how you say its either gearbox or shift fork might of broke inside or came loose on outside. Im guessing 4wd light isnt on?
Also not sure when the deluxe started but is yours a deluxe?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

advertisement
dannyboy

dannyboy

Supporting Member
Dec 11, 2017
NW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-2

3. Talon X
Jack the front end off the ground if its still ward to steer then its definitely the steering box. Also while you have it off try to spin 1 of the front tires and see if the other one spins the same way. With how you say its either gearbox or shift fork might of broke inside or came loose on outside. Im guessing 4wd light isnt on?
Also not sure when the deluxe started but is yours a deluxe?

Thanks Alan, This is not a deluxe. Jacked the front end off the ground and steering was still a chore. Both 4wd and 4wd locked worked fine since the wheels spun as they should. 4wd light is not on. Oddly enough I took it for a spin in the woods near home and in the snow (yes we still have snow aplenty) the steering seemed to lighten up, and it was in 2wd all that time, not 4wd.

I'm stumped.

Reactions: Alan_Vander
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks Alan, This is not a deluxe. Jacked the front end off the ground and steering was still a chore. Both 4wd and 4wd locked worked fine since the wheels spun as they should. 4wd light is not on. Oddly enough I took it for a spin in the woods near home and in the snow (yes we still have snow aplenty) the steering seemed to lighten up, and it was in 2wd all that time, not 4wd.

I'm stumped.
Its gotta be your steering gearbox. There isnt any cuts in the steering rod arms is there? Could of been some trash get in it. Or it could of just went out. Im really surprised my 14 hasnt went out yet. Only other thing would be maybe steering wheel bearing maybe. Try disconnecting the steering from the box and see if the wheel free spins. But if no real slack left to right i cant really see the steering being bad. Maybe just needs pulled down and cleaned up and put back together.

Reactions: Mudwing
dannyboy

dannyboy

Supporting Member
Dec 11, 2017
NW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-2

3. Talon X
After checking the Honda SXS700M4 service manual it appears I should do a rack guide adjustment. The manual specifies a turning load of 3.1 lbf at the steering wheel with the front wheels off the ground. I'm getting a reading of 4-5 times that, about 12-15 lbf. A special 40M wrench is required and that's on order. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with an adjustment like this and what the results were. And, why should a steering gear box go out of adjustment in the first place?

Reactions: Mudwing
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
After checking the Honda SXS700M4 service manual it appears I should do a rack guide adjustment. The manual specifies a turning load of 3.1 lbf at the steering wheel with the front wheels off the ground. I'm getting a reading of 4-5 times that, about 12-15 lbf. A special 40M wrench is required and that's on order. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with an adjustment like this and what the results were. And, why should a steering gear box go out of adjustment in the first place?
Man i didnt even know the manual boxes had an adjustment other than the toe in and out on the tire

dannyboy

dannyboy

Supporting Member
Dec 11, 2017
NW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-2

3. Talon X
Problem solved, to a degree. The steering box was just fine and required no adjustment. The minute I disconnected the tie rods it was evident that the steering knuckles on both side were tight, basically frozen. Upon removing the upper A arm it became obvious that the ball joint on the lower A arm was functioning as it should but the upper was stuck. Replacing the upper arm ball joint fixed the heavy steering. The P700 no longer steers like the deuce and a half I recall from back in the 70s. Its an S2000 again.

Three questions remain. First, why did the ball joints go bad on a 2015 with 2100 miles? Why does Honda use these "sealed" parts we can't grease? And, has anyone else had this same problem?

This is the first semi major issue I've had with a Honda and we have 6 atvs, 2 sxs and a car. However, my polaris buddies will love it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!