Pioneer 700, no spark

K

kentuckypioneer

Jul 28, 2024
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've been reading posts for about 3 weeks now, and decided to join. The information i've gotten so far has been great, but my 2019 pioneer 700 still won't start. I have spent most of the past five years idling around about a mile or two a day walking my dogs. About 2 months ago, I was driving through the woods and it just quit. I waited about 30 minutes and it wouldn't start, so I left it in the woods and walked home. The next day, it started up and I came home. This happened for a couple of weeks, and then it just died and wouldn't start. I have very limited mechanic skills, but have done some tests based on this forum, and I also downloaded a service manual. I am not getting any spark and got confused with all the tests in the service manual, so am reaching out for assistance. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Got two new plugs.
techically I don't know the ohms coil resistance on stator without a manual

but

there should be 3 wires coming from stator - if ohms are even between 1/2, 2/3, 1/3 and from 1 to GND, 2 to GND, 3 to GND its an open circuit - then I would GUESS stator is good.

have you checked battery connections are tight and also I think these are known for bad ignition switches as well - let the chase begin

K

kentuckypioneer

Jul 28, 2024
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-2

but

there should be 3 wires coming from stator - if ohms are even between 1/2, 2/3, 1/3 and from 1 to GND, 2 to GND, 3 to GND its an open circuit - then I would GUESS stator is good.

have you checked battery connections are tight and also I think these are known for bad ignition switches as well - let the chase begin
Thank you for the information. I’ll try to follow up tomorrow evening after work. The dogs really need me to get this fixed. They don’t get much exercise when I’m walking 😄 Again, thanks for the help!

advertisement
Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

but

The 3 stator wires have nothing to do with spark, only charging.

The other 2 wires coming from the stator are the pulse generator or pickup coil. They tell the coil when to fire.

@kentuckypioneer
Have you checked the stator wiring to verify it hasn't been damaged by debris, also make sure the connections are tight.

K

kentuckypioneer

Jul 28, 2024
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-2
The 3 stator wires have nothing to do with spark, only charging.

The other 2 wires coming from the stator are the pulse generator or pickup coil. They tell the coil when to fire.

@kentuckypioneer
Have you checked the stator wiring to verify it hasn't been damaged by debris, also make sure the connections are tight.
I’ll check the wiring. Thanks for your help!

K

kentuckypioneer

Jul 28, 2024
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the advice. I’m
If everything checks out take the spark plug caps apart check for damage. Replacing the spark plug caps may be the next step.
going to check everything that has been mentioned. Anyone have any ideas about how this occurred….running for five minutes, then stopping. Starting the next day, and doing that for a couple of weeks, and then not starting at all?

K

kentuckypioneer

Jul 28, 2024
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-2

going to check everything that has been mentioned. Anyone have any ideas about how this occurred….running for five minutes, then stopping. Starting the next day, and doing that for a couple of weeks, and then not starting at all?
I originally bought a fuel pump, but it makes a sound when I turn the key. I also pinched the fuel line a little, it’s pretty thick, and thought I felt a surge when I turned the key. That’s when I checked the spark.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

hi - you are at step #129, it needs to be troubleshot and resolved before it can be determined what caused it.

I have a 2002 foreman 500 in my garage my buddy dropped off - have had pins pushed thru all the wires and have checked every wire, ground, voltage requlator, crank sensor, stator, neutral switch, connector, etc. and still has zippo spark - the honda tech on here has been gracious enough to help me along - so my point is after diddling with this for a few weeks every now and then - I have no clue and it still doesn't have spark - my buddy decided to pull the trigger on the parts cannon and ordered a new ECM last week - and they are not inexpensive - we were trying to find something other than the ECM :(.

advertisement