P500 Pioneer Cargo Tray Adhesive Pads

A

aDave

Oct 9, 2019
Southern CA
Ownership

1. 500
UPDATE: I received some information from my dealership, and that's noted in a post later on down the thread. I'm leaving my original post, as I think things will make more sense down the road.

Hi Folks,

Did a search without any luck, so I thought I'd jump in with an issue I'm probably over-analyzing.

I picked up a Honda cargo tray for my new P500. In going through the parts bag, it looks like I was shorted 12 various adhesive pads that are supposed to be installed on the underside of the tray. They are 1" hard rubber strips (not foam tape) that are 1/8" thick.

I've already put a call into the dealer, and it is going to see what can be dug up. In the meantime, I've looked at various places on the 'net to see what I can find, and no luck. Frankly, I was going to install it today, but I'm not going to do this with the six pads I currently have.

The big question - is there a suitable alternative that I might be able to find locally to work on the tray? I'm seeing some tape at Home Depot, but it is only 1/16" thick.

I know this will ultimately get taken care of by Honda, but I was hoping to take advantage of the weekend. I figured 1/8" thick was supplied for a reason, so that's why I'm asking. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

Last edited:
dls1966

dls1966

Mar 4, 2018
Kawkawlin Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
You can cut apart an inner tube and use that for now but my tray doesn't use rubber under the clamps
20191012 144811

A

aDave

Oct 9, 2019
Southern CA
Ownership

1. 500
You can cut apart an inner tube and use that for now but my tray doesn't use rubber under the clamps

Thanks, but mine doesn't have the pads under the clamps either - at least according to the instructions. The pads I'm looking for mount in various spots on the underside of the tray. I'm assuming it's so noise/vibration/abrasion doesn't occur by making contact with the rack.

dls1966

dls1966

Mar 4, 2018
Kawkawlin Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Mine was installed by the Honda dealer when I bought it and it doesn't have any pads on it and it does rattle when empty I'll have to look into it thanks

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
You could probably use it for temporary while waiting for the rest of the pads.
Might clean it good when you do pull it off add the rest of the pads, I’d probably use alcohol.
Certainly wouldn’t let the weekend go to waist, at least go inside and watch the F1 race (Japanese GP this weekend).

JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
You could use the fuzzy side of stick on Velcro. I think the pads are for noise and wear protection.

A

aDave

Oct 9, 2019
Southern CA
Ownership

1. 500
You could use the fuzzy side of stick on Velcro. I think the pads are for noise and wear protection.
I had actually considered that, but I was a bit concerned about its ability to end up trapping dirt and sand and becoming even more abrasive. Thanks nonetheless.

After speaking with my dealership, it is going to order a new parts kit for me. Hopefully, this one is packed completely and doesn't take too long to arrive. I'll still be on the hunt for an alternative not knowing how well this stuff will stay on over time. If it gets here this week that's not too bad, as I'll be out of town on a hunting venture the first half of the week.

I

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I used one inch black peel and stick weather stripping under the cargo box and still there after 3 yrs.

Reactions: aDave
A

aDave

Oct 9, 2019
Southern CA
Ownership

1. 500
I used one inch black peel and stick weather stripping under the cargo box and still there after 3 yrs.
Nice. Do you have a link for the product you found or a bit more of a description? Is it foam tape, and is it in a roll, or is it something else? Did you pick it up at Home Depot? Sounds like something I might like to get my hands on if the Honda product doesn't stay on. Thanks.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Get a width at least as wide as the flat cargo frame pieces.

Reactions: aDave
A

aDave

Oct 9, 2019
Southern CA
Ownership

1. 500
Update:

I originally posted my concern about missing parts while using the instructions posted here on this site in this thread:

Cargo Tray - 08L79-HL5-A00 - Instructions

According to these instructions, revised in 2014, it appeared that I was short 12 adhesive pads that would be installed on the bottom of the cargo tray.

Based upon the instructions, it appeared that I was 12 pieces short of the adhesive pads, so I made an inquiry with my dealership. Today, I had contact with the parts "guru" at the dealership, and after he did some research, it appears that the instructions for the cargo tray were updated in 2016. The instructions posted here in the forum are from 2014.

The newest instructions only call for for the amount of pads that I received, so I was not shorted at the end of the day. So, it looks as if I'm good. Knowing what I know, the tray was installed, and it should be a done deal.

I'm just putting this out there for those who are looking for the newest instructions. This is the most recent pdf that was sent to me. @Hondasxs, perhaps you might consider updating your instructions thread that I noted above. Best regards.

Attachments

• 08L70-HL5-A40.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 265

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!