P1000 Pioneer to talon power swap

G

GMac32

Jun 17, 2024
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just thought I would let everyone interested know this works. Long story short, my pioneer grenaded with 1700 miles on it. I finally found a decent deal on a talon engine so I bought it. I used the talon engine and sub trans for my swap. So after calling the dealership and confirming things, the only difference between the talon motor and pioneer motor was the the throttle bodies (44mm vs. 46mm) and I assumed probably bigger injectors. So I thought the pioneer is 72hp and the pioneer is 104hp, the rest is programming in the ecu. I bought a talon ecu and tried it. It works awesome and you can tell a huge difference in power. The only code I have is a can bus code which I will have to find where to terminate those 2 wires in the ecu. It doesn't effect drivability at all. Just thought I would let people know there is a relatively cheap way to gain 32 extra horsepower.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
A P1K with Talon power and gearing would be a hoot, but if you didn't upgrade the underside, it wouldn't stand of chance of self mutilation. I would think the head has probably been enhanced somewhat as well?

G

GMac32

Jun 17, 2024
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
According to my local Honda service department the engines are the same. I think everything will hold up ok at least for me. In 2wd, the tires don't hook. It will just roast them. I can definitely tell a different shift strategy compared to the pioneer too. I like the talon strategy better

Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
According to my local Honda service department the engines are the same. I think everything will hold up ok at least for me. In 2wd, the tires don't hook. It will just roast them. I can definitely tell a different shift strategy compared to the pioneer too. I like the talon strategy better

There not the Talon has piston oil squirters that the Pioneer doesn't

Talon rods are bolts, instead of studs

Clutch and drive gear is different

Trans ratios are different

Head/valves/cam is different

Oil pan is deeper

Among a multitude of others things I'm forgetting

G

GMac32

Jun 17, 2024
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is interesting to know. Thank you. I don't trust everything the dealer has to say. They told me it wouldn't work. I only had to change the main shaft from the pioneer to the talon sub trans because the front output shaft from the talon was too long

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I have both and the Talon definitely revs quicker and the engine seems to breath much better. The air tract is better on the Talon and can be enhanced with 10-80's intake filter/intake tube. Putting a good tune on a Talon will also enhance power and shifts.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
my pioneer grenaded with 1700 miles on it.
Welcome from Michigan G-Dog! Go Blue!

My deputies here have ben giving you passes lol. Cool what youve done. But one…well a few things are missing here. You tell us all these things and dont even have the year, model of anything you've done this to even the motor! You see its A rule here and it the golden one #4 called Pics Or It Didnt Happen!
Violation of forum Penal code 6969 lol
So pics of this rig before or after the swap and info about the rig asap please. POIDH

Here is another thread with some links about what youve done. You can find this stuff in the search up top cuz we Know a thing or two cuz we've seen a thing or two! 😉

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The talon engine is a 19 that I put in it
With the DCT or are u using the o e from the pioneer?

PS, dont forget to either tag the person @GMac32 or hit the “reply” then type your answer so they get a notice like you did or they my never know. 😉

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I am using everything from the talon
What yr was the Talon and how many miles was on it?
Also, assuming the P1 didnt have i4wd im assuming that dosnt make any difference in the swap?
Sorry for the questions. Its a big undertaking and alot of questions for whom might be thinking of doing the same

G

GMac32

Jun 17, 2024
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am obviously not near as in tune with these machines as you all are. I know diesels. I have had my own diesel business for 22 years. I got this engine and subtrans for a good deal and I thought, why not? I guess I am glad I used all the right stuff.

advertisement