Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New Dirtwheels magazine today runs the general vs pioneer 1000-5 deluxe. Pretty much summed up the pioneer won! They had a hard time finding places that the generals power was an advantage or safety wasn't a concern. Honda rides better at slow speeds, is $2000 cheaper, more versatile ect

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I ran a general and I really wasn't impressed it was built cheeeeeeeaaaap. Looked good and was comfortable though

Reactions: Plumber32
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New Dirtwheels magazine today runs the general vs pioneer 1000-5 deluxe. Pretty much summed up the pioneer won! They had a hard time finding places that the generals power was an advantage or safety wasn't a concern. Honda rides better at slow speeds, is $2000 cheaper, more versatile ect
I live in a small with one dealership that sells several brands. One of the sells men told me he would be embarrassed to sell a general because it is already starting to fall apart just from test drives! He also hopes he doesn't sell it to anyone he knows because he will never hear the end of it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The one I drove was crazy. You had to really crank on the door handle to open the door then it flew out at you and I mean hard. There was no shutting it you had to slam it shut and the door would separate at top every time because it's literally snapped together. The guy said he brought it back and that was the best they could do. And we complain if our door (that is adjustable) rattles a bit , big difference. The seat is adjustable but would flex either way an inch and a half... Everything was cheap. It felt like a cheap version of a big kids power wheels. Be thankful of what we have

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The one I drove was crazy. You had to really crank on the door handle to open the door then it flew out at you and I mean hard. There was no shutting it you had to slam it shut and the door would separate at top every time because it's literally snapped together. The guy said he brought it back and that was the best they could do. And we complain if our door (that is adjustable) rattles a bit , big difference. The seat is adjustable but would flex either way an inch and a half... Everything was cheap. It felt like a cheap version of a big kids power wheels. Be thankful of what we have

2 years ago, i bought a polaris ranger 570 fullsize crew. first of all, the name is a nightmare. 20 different rangers, all the same model name?

the reason i bought the polaris, is because the honda sxs in my opinion (im about to piss people off) were sub par. the 700 was completely lackluster, no low, etc.
my polaris had a factory flawed clutch, which meant if i slowed down the rig shut off. i couldnt start the rig without holding the brakes. if i used the brakes the rig died (see the problem?) warranty call, although the dealer first said i smoked my belt when i loaded it on the trailer ( ramps kicked out and my back tires were off the trailer. not a big deal, we pushed it ahead about 4 inches and the tires caught the lip and drove up. i wanted badly to tell that lady, that if thats all it took to smoke a belt on a brand new rig, then how the flip would i ever get anywhere in alaska?

so i sold that pig, and went into the market looking for anything other than the ranger. i heard about the general, and my mind was made up. i was getting one. 100 flippin HP in a super deuluxe lambo style utv interior, with a almost fullsize bed? WHAT? all the crappy parts of the rzr gone, and all the cool parts still there.

went to honda just to give them a fair shake(honda makes the best 4wheeler and thats a fact), and online i was once again kind of unimpressed, although the 1000 was a major upgrade on the last model. when i left honda, i was so sold on my 1000 i almost wondered why i wasnt driving the thing home. so i headed down to polaris anyways.

our polaris dealer is so rude, the people are such douchebags, that i literally almost drove 40 miles past to go look at a diff polaris dealer ( which turns out to be managed by the same b***h so whatevs)

they said they didnt have the general in stock and had no idea when to check back, then the manager comes out (she sold my rig to me) and i ask her if they had one i could just look at. she had two for warranty(flipping kidding me? after 300 miles? wat) and i went and sat in it.

SO. LACKLUSTER. everything online was total glamor shots. there was no breathtaking anything about it. the seats were the only good part about the whole rig. (and the doors. say what you want about hard closing, they still close and seal up 4000% better than hondas doors)

overall, the only other rig i would be interested in trading my honda for, would be a can am defender. its not as sporty, not as much horsepower, and not really better in any aspect, but the cab is pretty nice. so i feel pretty confident, that honda has finally made the best SxS on the market. im so sold on my rig. its days and days and days nicer and smoother and quieter of a ride than that ranger was. 2015 vs 2016 sure, but still.

if honda would fix their s*** and recall our cabs and give us real cabs with real sealed plastic behind the seat, with real dash gaskets, i would simply laugh at anyone that ever thought they could to tit for tat with the honda. my buddy wants a viking. we have one. its loud as all hell, and has no where near the power as my 1000. i think 55 HP compared to 77HP? he doesnt like how it looks. says the rollcage makes it look like a minivan. i explain to him my s*** is always dry and when i go hunting i dont have the option to just sit the day out when its raining. i took time off of work..... im going hunting in the rain or snow or sleet or whatever.

hewants the ranger 900 hi lifter. 18k with no cab.. i so sorry for him. i so sorry.

hondas lead the way!

Reactions: Plumber32
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I hear a lot of people
Complain about the doors sealing. Is that because they want it to keep out cold air or water?

I like how my doors will bail out the water and mud quickly.

Sent from my iPhone 10s

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I live in a small with one dealership that sells several brands. One of the sells men told me he would be embarrassed to sell a general because it is already starting to fall apart just from test drives! He also hopes he doesn't sell it to anyone he knows because he will never hear the end of it.
2 years ago, i bought a polaris ranger 570 fullsize crew. first of all, the name is a nightmare. 20 different rangers, all the same model name?

the reason i bought the polaris, is because the honda sxs in my opinion (im about to piss people off) were sub par. the 700 was completely lackluster, no low, etc.
my polaris had a factory flawed clutch, which meant if i slowed down the rig shut off. i couldnt start the rig without holding the brakes. if i used the brakes the rig died (see the problem?) warranty call, although the dealer first said i smoked my belt when i loaded it on the trailer ( ramps kicked out and my back tires were off the trailer. not a big deal, we pushed it ahead about 4 inches and the tires caught the lip and drove up. i wanted badly to tell that lady, that if thats all it took to smoke a belt on a brand new rig, then how the flip would i ever get anywhere in alaska?

so i sold that pig, and went into the market looking for anything other than the ranger. i heard about the general, and my mind was made up. i was getting one. 100 flippin HP in a super deuluxe lambo style utv interior, with a almost fullsize bed? WHAT? all the crappy parts of the rzr gone, and all the cool parts still there.

went to honda just to give them a fair shake(honda makes the best 4wheeler and thats a fact), and online i was once again kind of unimpressed, although the 1000 was a major upgrade on the last model. when i left honda, i was so sold on my 1000 i almost wondered why i wasnt driving the thing home. so i headed down to polaris anyways.

our polaris dealer is so rude, the people are such douchebags, that i literally almost drove 40 miles past to go look at a diff polaris dealer ( which turns out to be managed by the same b***h so whatevs)

they said they didnt have the general in stock and had no idea when to check back, then the manager comes out (she sold my rig to me) and i ask her if they had one i could just look at. she had two for warranty(flipping kidding me? after 300 miles? wat) and i went and sat in it.

SO. LACKLUSTER. everything online was total glamor shots. there was no breathtaking anything about it. the seats were the only good part about the whole rig. (and the doors. say what you want about hard closing, they still close and seal up 4000% better than hondas doors)

overall, the only other rig i would be interested in trading my honda for, would be a can am defender. its not as sporty, not as much horsepower, and not really better in any aspect, but the cab is pretty nice. so i feel pretty confident, that honda has finally made the best SxS on the market. im so sold on my rig. its days and days and days nicer and smoother and quieter of a ride than that ranger was. 2015 vs 2016 sure, but still.

if honda would fix their s*** and recall our cabs and give us real cabs with real sealed plastic behind the seat, with real dash gaskets, i would simply laugh at anyone that ever thought they could to tit for tat with the honda. my buddy wants a viking. we have one. its loud as all hell, and has no where near the power as my 1000. i think 55 HP compared to 77HP? he doesnt like how it looks. says the rollcage makes it look like a minivan. i explain to him my s*** is always dry and when i go hunting i dont have the option to just sit the day out when its raining. i took time off of work..... im going hunting in the rain or snow or sleet or whatever.

hewants the ranger 900 hi lifter. 18k with no cab.. i so sorry for him. i so sorry.

hondas lead the way!
Let him have it. Secretly get a tow strap and I thick Sharpie and write on it "Polaris recovery rope" and throw it under the seat for your friend For down the road a bit.

Reactions: joeymt33 and sharp
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Let him have it. Secretly get a tow strap and I thick Sharpie and write on it "Polaris recovery rope" and throw it under the seat for your friend For down the road a bit.
if he gets the ranger, im going to get a flag and whip made up just for him :D

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I hear a lot of people
Complain about the doors sealing. Is that because they want it to keep out cold air or water?

I like how my doors will bail out the water and mud quickly.

Sent from my iPhone 10s

i live in alaska. its going to get very cold. 10 degrees isnt that bad, but alot of times its 0. having the cold air licking your shoulders might not be as fun as it sounds.

i want to get some of that garage brush side gasket stuff and screw it to the door. that would deflect any wind and water droplets, while still allowing it to weep when i cross rivers!

also, tight cabs have less dust. pretty much my thoughts on that.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I definitely agree with the cold weather. We don't have very cold weather here in Alabama.

There's different needs for different areas I guess. If I lived where you do, I would prob have the same priorities.

Sent from my iPhone 10s

Reactions: dotman1
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
then you won't want to seal up the seat too much. I've been very cautious to do so on my rig I haven't done anything that's not easy to come out as it stays very very cozy in the winter. There's enough airflow yet heat to be excellent without heater. We were in the low teens this year without our coats using it with enclosed vinyl cab. So if you do fix some of those gaps I would suggest not to freak out and go permanent:)

Reactions: nbomar
Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
i live in alaska. its going to get very cold. 10 degrees isnt that bad, but alot of times its 0. having the cold air licking your shoulders might not be as fun as it sounds.

i want to get some of that garage brush side gasket stuff and screw it to the door. that would deflect any wind and water droplets, while still allowing it to weep when i cross rivers!

also, tight cabs have less dust. pretty much my thoughts on that.

I'm over on Kodiak, and don't get anywhere as cold as you do. I was in the same boat, totally sold on the general, then my wife wanted more seats, so P1K it was! I agree that Honda needs a recall for the seat heat and cab steam issue, it's kinda awful. Ran my rig hard over the weekend, and even though I could tell the trans was getting hot I made sure to always keep rpm up to fully engage the clutches. Ran it around today with close attention to shifting and it's flawless, zero slipping. I'm envious of the generals suspension, but nothing aftermarket fox or walker Evans won't fix! With that, our P1Ks will be the ultimate AK hunting and fishing rigs.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm over on Kodiak, and don't get anywhere as cold as you do. I was in the same boat, totally sold on the general, then my wife wanted more seats, so P1K it was! I agree that Honda needs a recall for the seat heat and cab steam issue, it's kinda awful. Ran my rig hard over the weekend, and even though I could tell the trans was getting hot I made sure to always keep rpm up to fully engage the clutches. Ran it around today with close attention to shifting and it's flawless, zero slipping. I'm envious of the generals suspension, but nothing aftermarket fox or walker Evans won't fix! With that, our P1Ks will be the ultimate AK hunting and fishing rigs.
Two questions for you. First when you say you could tell clutches were getting hot, could you elaborate? And obviously the front shocks are an issue for me but never a complaint on the rear is that your take as well?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I definitely agree with the cold weather. We don't have very cold weather here in Alabama.

There's different needs for different areas I guess. If I lived where you do, I would prob have the same priorities.

Sent from my iPhone 10s
Sucks because where we live we get both. 0*~100*. 4months snow 4months oven 4months just right.

Reactions: JMRubicon
Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Two questions for you. First when you say you could tell clutches were getting hot, could you elaborate? And obviously the front shocks are an issue for me but never a complaint on the rear is that your take as well?

Definitely the front shocks are the issue. I was loaded down with 3 ppl and gear, and never bottomed the rear.

As for hot clutches... I was in low less than 20 mph in 4wd for the better part of 6 hours. I sunk it hard and took 3 winches to get me out. While stuck, I got the low oil p light and the trans disengaged twice. Shutting it off for a min or so each time then restarting cleared the issue. After reading more, I attribute this to a possible low voltage situation. I've since inspected all the grounds and ensured the trans is working appropriately.

But after I was clear of the hole, I noted that it was kinda hunting for gears. I remedied by coming out of 4wd when able, and using manual to keep Rpms up and clutches engaged. The last 10 or 12 miles home was 2wd and a lot faster, and had no issues whatsoever. So my hot clutches, is merely me feeling the machine was a bit off. This could also have been me being hypersensitive after getting sunk bad and having it kick off on me.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Awesome explanation. I've had the oil light and shifting funny three times but two times were low voltage prior to battery separator and another like you with winch.
I'm going to be the first one to replace those damn front shocks. They are getting worse as miles go up. I guess they're breaking in as they are getting smoother on the super easy stuff but wow it's rough. I wish Honda had at least done same shock but adjustable. You can't ask for a better rear for all around. I've bottomed it but it took a lot!! Love those.
I thought your trans issue was worse by your previous statement but sounds good. Good to hear! Glad you wound up happy overall with this rig!

Reactions: dotman1
Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Yeah, I love it more and more! Bummed about the other P1K-5 that is still stranded out there. Hopefully he can get it back somehow. And we can learn what the issue was.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I knew you were on the fence and so happy that you are enjoying the rig. I'm enjoying mine so much that I feel really bad for the few that are having problems. Even fixed under warranty it's still a gut wrencher for someone that spent this kind of money plus the down time. I get it! I still totally trust I Honda and always will.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone got a link to the story? All the Polaris guys are gunna hates this.
Its in this month's dirtwheels magazine, just got it in the mail yesterday. Doubt it's online yet. At the end the riders said the biggest difference in performance was the general had more accurate steering.

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!