Pioneer wouldn't start in -20c

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
My Pioneer has to sit outside in my shed,because my shop is currently occupied with one of our vehicles that has problems. I felt like going for a ride and went out to start it but no way. It would turn over and fire now and then but no start.I went over to the Ranger 500 [mid size] tried it and it fired right up. I ended up using my tractor to pull the Pioneer into my shop last night seeing that the tractor goes in first then the Pioneer in front of it.Guess today I'll have to start the Pioneer and go for a ride. Its sure disappointing that it wouldn't start but the Ranger did. I still wouldn't trade my Pioneer for the Ranger ,The Ranger is going to be sold in another year or so ,and I'll keep the Pioneer.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
ohanacreek said:
Battery or wouldn't start?
Turns over fine just wouldn't start. You could hear it fire every now and then but just wouldn't catch and keep running. Being fuel injected I didn't touch the gas pedal at all. I tried a few times and finally gave up for fear of flooding the engine [or worse]
I've never had it sit outside all last winter so I never had a problem with it untill now.This winter seeing its going to have to spend sometime out in the shed I hope this isn't a common thing with them.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Wonder if the IACV valve is sticking from the cold. I remember a issue with the Rincon's about this.
I will look for it.

Actually. Honda says you should push the peddle some if you have trouble starting. I remember reading it in the owners manual.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
9666125404b1397b58d2d1c658ba7f42

Yup halfway down, ???all the way down to CLEAR flooding???

Manufacturer knows best.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Actually I did try it after about the 3rd time and then tried holding it to the floor on my last attempt. I figured enough trying in case something screws up. I just towed it into the shop,to let it warm up.This afternoon I went out and started it and had to hold the pedal down before it would start.After that went for a hr ride and now its parked in the unheated garage this time. Like I was saying I'd have it in the heated shop but I just don't have the room right at this time.I should be caught up with the vehicle repairs in a few days. Things have just been nuts the last week . 4 licensed vehicles in the yard and each has some issue that's requiring them to be taking up valuable shop space.Even my Diesel snow blowing tractor has to be sitting out in the cold shed. I actually hate when the tractor isn't inside,because at least with it inside I know its ready to go in a instant no matter what the temp is out.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya, I figured you might have tried the gas some. That sucks not getting it started.

I cant find the info on the IACV. But it was something like the grease on the rod would get thick slowing it down enough where it would not perform the proper choke needed to start in the cold weather.

Do them make a fuel additive for this issue?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!