P1000 Plastic Body Panels on a Base Model

R

Ryjohn007

Feb 21, 2022
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I attempted to do a search and didn't find much (user error possibly).

Hopefully I'm posting this in the applicable channel, still a newbie figuring out this forum (which is awesome by the way).

Aside from mounting holes on my existing doors/body, can I install the plastic body panels on my base machine? I like the look of these panels and I'm interested in adding them.

If others have done this already, how are you installing them?

Thanks!

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I attempted to do a search and didn't find much (user error possibly).

Hopefully I'm posting this in the applicable channel, still a newbie figuring out this forum (which is awesome by the way).

Aside from mounting holes on my existing doors/body, can I install the plastic body panels on my base machine? I like the look of these panels and I'm interested in adding them.

If others have done this already, how are you installing them?

Thanks!
Yes, lots of people do. Simple, you buy the panels, drill a hole on the door where ever panel has a hole and insert included hardware. Easy peasy.........but first things first.......

Pics or it didn't happen!!! 😂

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is an advantage to using threaded inserts and 6mm screws, especially for the rear panels. That makes it easier to install the quick release "hood latch" type buttons (which happen to use the same size metric screw for the ball end fastener as the original screw) to fasten the panel in place so you can use the space inside the doors for storage.

20210707 175448

The ball end pin, above, has an O-ring on it . . . this is to seal dirt from the button mechanism.

20210707 180053

Reactions: ChadD and JenElio

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is an advantage to using threaded inserts and 6mm screws, especially for the rear panels. That makes it easier to install the quick release "hood latch" type buttons (which happen to use the same size metric screw for the ball end fastener as the original screw) to fasten the panel in place so you can use the space inside the doors for storage.

View attachment 323517

The ball end pin, above, has an O-ring on it . . . this is to seal dirt from the button mechanism.

View attachment 323518
The hardware kit provided with the panel kit doesn’t have the threaded inserts like in your pic. They’re a rubber expansion plug with a brass insert and requires a pretty decent sized hole in order to fit. Thus my reason for using push pins, hold the panel up drill the hole and stick the pin.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The hardware kit provided with the panel kit doesn’t have the threaded inserts like in your pic. They’re a rubber expansion plug with a brass insert and requires a pretty decent sized hole in order to fit. Thus my reason for using push pins, hold the panel up drill the hole and stick the pin.
Well nuts (threaded rubber plug nuts or whatever) will work fine, larger hole notwithstanding. The 6mm - 1.0 size will allow use of the large space inside the rear door for lighter things.
20210707 175851

The blue modeling clay is temporarily in place to measure the thickness of the weather strip needed to help keep dust out of the storage "bin".

advertisement
R

Ryjohn007

Feb 21, 2022
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m not hung up on the storage, I don’t have any plans of going that route. Just looking for the most durable option.

thanks guys!

Reactions: JenElio and ChadD
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
What color do u need? If its Army Green, forget about it. They dont make them. Pretty much never did, less than a 1/2 dozen of them in 16’ thats it.

R

Ryjohn007

Feb 21, 2022
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What color do u need? If its Army Green, forget about it. They dont make them. Pretty much never did, less than a 1/2 dozen of them in 16’ thats it.

yeah I was aware of that and green is what I have currently. I’m open on what I can get but probably more interested in red.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
This is a base model Pioneer that recently had the panels of a deluxe model installed by the dealer. I had no luck searching the web for the panels or calling online vendors. I finally sent an email to the excellent young woman service writer at my selling dealer and asked her to ask the parts manager if the yellow panels were available. She responded quickly that he could obtain them.

I haven't had much luck searching Honda's online parts catalog.

I would contact the parts department at Honda of Russellville. They'll know how to find what you want.

HondaPioneer 4 IMG 2016

R

Ryjohn007

Feb 21, 2022
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've come up with a set of plastics that look brand new. Now I've got an installation question if I can explain well enough.

When I hold the panel up on the door or bedside, the way the plastic is molded it sticks out the back far enough where the bolt hole is that it doesn't appear to fit exactly flush against the machine body panels. Will it cinch up tight once a bolt is used?

I can see a round indicator on the body panels where I'm guessing the OEM nuts are typically mounted. If those were cut out I know the panel would fit completely flush. I pretty sure it's not a compatibility issue. I can get a picture if this doesn't make sense.

Can anyone provide pics of what their installation looked like? I see the one above using the snap style stud but I think it's using OEM nuts and I don't plan to do the storage mod.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I've come up with a set of plastics that look brand new. Now I've got an installation question if I can explain well enough.

When I hold the panel up on the door or bedside, the way the plastic is molded it sticks out the back far enough where the bolt hole is that it doesn't appear to fit exactly flush against the machine body panels. Will it cinch up tight once a bolt is used?

I can see a round indicator on the body panels where I'm guessing the OEM nuts are typically mounted. If those were cut out I know the panel would fit completely flush. I pretty sure it's not a compatibility issue. I can get a picture if this doesn't make sense.

Can anyone provide pics of what their installation looked like? I see the one above using the snap style stud but I think it's using OEM nuts and I don't plan to do the storage mod.

Thanks in advance!
I bought panels for mine when first bought the unit. They all do not fit flush up against the door panels (if that is what you are asking). I've noticed some units that come with panels from factory and theirs do not mount 100% flush either. Just the way it is I guess 🤷‍♂️. Not a big deal to me I guess I don't notice as much after they're all scuffed up and dirty 😂😂

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
can see a round indicator on the body panels where I'm guessing the OEM nuts are typically mounted.
You are correct cuz you have a base model like I do and those round circles are indicators for the manufacturer to put their mounting screws in. But they use a square plate that is threaded when I bought my panels they came with a rubber bushing that had a brass threaded peace inside. You drilled a hole in the middle of those round circles the size of the rubber grommet bushing put that inside, then after you put the panel up you screw the screws through the hole in the panel into the grommet making a mushroom inside the panel door that holds the panel tight to the door. I don't have any pics of this because I did the rear storage mod on all of mine afterwards. I'll scrounge around at home when I get back this evening to see if I can find any grommets that I used.

And yes, u got pics of your new panels? What color

Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!