P500 Play in steering wheel

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I've noticed that on my 520 that there is play in the steering wheel. Not the shaft but the actual plastic steering wheel assembly. It slides in/out about 1 inch. The shaft it's attached to doesn't move. Is that normal, or is there an issue with the steering wheel assembly?

RRogers

RRogers

Feb 17, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I've noticed that on my 520 that there is play in the steering wheel. Not the shaft but the actual plastic steering wheel assembly. It slides in/out about 1 inch. The shaft it's attached to doesn't move. Is that normal, or is there an issue with the steering wheel assembly?
Not sure on the 520 but my 500 is rock solid
Look under the hood and make sure all the linkage is in proper order I’m thinking you should not have any play in the steering rack
You might also pull the steering wheel cap and make sure that nut is tight as well

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Not sure on the 520 but my 500 is rock solid
Look under the hood and make sure all the linkage is in proper order I’m thinking you should not have any play in the steering rack
You might also pull the steering wheel cap and make sure that nut is tight as well
This. The clamping bolt rides in a slot on the splined shaft. One of them probably isn't tight enough.

Reactions: wvupsc
wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks. I will give that a look. Seems like Honda QA/QC has some issues with the 520s from what I've read on here.

Reactions: Fischer
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Yep...that was it. I popped off that plastic center cap and tightened down the nut. Fixed a problem that should not have been for a unit with less than 10 miles on it.
If it was the steering wheel nut, that's a dealer-installed item, I believe.

Reactions: wvupsc and trigger
Robertb52

Robertb52

Feb 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
I had the exact same thing when I brought my home. The nut securing the steering wheel on the shaft was only hand tight; nylon thread lock not even engaged.

I don’t know if its dealer installed. I made that point and one of the forum members (can’t remember name off top of my head) works for honda said it was; but I can’t help but now think otherwise. That is, unless you bought yours from Honda of Salt Lake City. :oops:

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It was the same with the Honda lawn tractors in the 80's and 90's.

Put the steering wheel on straight, tighten and pop the cap on,

Not rocket science.

Maybe Honda will start selling UTV's in Home Depot like they did with the Power Equipment.

Reactions: Fischer
wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I had the exact same thing when I brought my home. The nut securing the steering wheel on the shaft was only hand tight; nylon thread lock not even engaged.

I don’t know if its dealer installed. I made that point and one of the forum members (can’t remember name off top of my head) works for honda said it was; but I can’t help but now think otherwise. That is, unless you bought yours from Honda of Salt Lake City. :oops:
Mine was purchased in WV.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I would share that with Dealer and Honda Corp. Dealer error could have ended bad on the trails. Seems like so many issues lately.

advertisement