Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I mounted up my kfi plow. and I see with the angle of the winch a rope isn't going to last long. what have you guys done to remedy this. a pulley that mounts to the bumper?

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Bumping this up... I have my winch mounted high on a JEI bumper, basically right in front of the HONDA emblem. Finally got a plow setup coming, and I want to get a pulley so I don't trash the rope on my brand new Warn AXON. I have read some bad reviews on some pulley setups - apparently some are weak and will bend. I would like to get one that will bolt where the fairlead goes so that the rope will not rub at all. If anyone has done this successfully, please show me a pic or two and let me know what pulley to buy!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Bump. Help me get this plow set up with a pulley!

If you have a high mounted winch, and use a pulley, please post up!

H

HondaTech

Bump. Help me get this plow set up with a pulley!

If you have a high mounted winch, and use a pulley, please post up!

What type of fair lead do you have?
Most plow setups require a roller with larger diameter on the bottom to aid in saving the winch cable/rope.

Reactions: ehart814
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
1314C877 7A18 4461 8DDB ACE08CCDEB3C

Here is how mine is setup. I purchased it, but looking back I could have made it my self.

a proper rated winch pulley with a snap hook on the other end could be used.

a short winch strap is connected to my bumper.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
What type of fair lead do you have?
Most plow setups require a roller with larger diameter on the bottom to aid in saving the winch cable/rope.

My winch has synthetic rope - so a hawse fairlead. I'm concerned that the sharp downward angle of the rope will cause excessive wear to the fairlead and the rope. So I'd like to replace the fairlead with a pulley, and then possibly put another pulley down on the plow and hook the end of the rope back up to the bumper. But if I could just have a pulley right out of the winch I think that would be good enough.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
It is $55 in the HondaSxS Store.

Reactions: Mudwing and Vikes79
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
It is $55 in the HondaSxS Store.

this^^^

the kit in my photo is the one from the site store. I haven’t mounted the hause pulley nor the short 5’ synthetic lead that comes with it as need to use the utv without the plow too.

if you get the kit from the site store make sure to get the wide kit.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a enough room on my spool to leave the synthetic rope but on the end of it I attach a piece of tow strap. I bought a tow strap from harbor freight that was 12' so I just cut it in two so I could have a spare. In 3 years of plowing I haven't broken it yet. It can handle the sharp angle and the thing I really like about it, is that if you let the winch out too much, it doesn't rats nest in the drum. If I need my regular synthetic line I just take the flat strap off.

advertisement
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I had a enough room on my spool to leave the synthetic rope but on the end of it I attach a piece of tow strap. I bought a tow strap from harbor freight that was 12' so I just cut it in two so I could have a spare. In 3 years of plowing I haven't broken it yet. It can handle the sharp angle and the thing I really like about it, is that if you let the winch out too much, it doesn't rats nest in the drum. If I need my regular synthetic line I just take the flat strap off.

hmmmm... this may work well for me. My winch is still brand new so the rope is still wound on there perfectly so I'd think i should have enough room for a flat strap. So did you just remove the hook and tie a knot in the strap around the loop in the rope?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just took the hook off and my line had a metal thimble so I removed it also. I just passed the end of the strap through the eye and actually just electrical taped them together. Once it has a few wraps around the drum, it's not going anywhere unless you want to easily remove it. I can't take credit for the idea, someone a few years ago had it on the 700 forum but it has really worked out well for me. I didn't like the idea of removing my whole line incase I needed it not plowing. And I really hated breaking the line. Here's what I used and actually haven't ever needed the other half so my 9 year old took it to put in his emergency atv bag.
2160 lb. Capacity 1-3/4 in. x 15 ft. Heavy Duty Tow Strap

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I just took the hook off and my line had a metal thimble so I removed it also. I just passed the end of the strap through the eye and actually just electrical taped them together. Once it has a few wraps around the drum, it's not going anywhere unless you want to easily remove it. I can't take credit for the idea, someone a few years ago had it on the 700 forum but it has really worked out well for me. I didn't like the idea of removing my whole line incase I needed it not plowing. And I really hated breaking the line. Here's what I used and actually haven't ever needed the other half so my 9 year old took it to put in his emergency atv bag.
2160 lb. Capacity 1-3/4 in. x 15 ft. Heavy Duty Tow Strap

I just got a similar strap to that from Rural King when they had their black friday sale. So I think I'll give it a go and see how it works! Thanks!

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let me know how it works. I've been really pleased with the results.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!