Plowing Snow Question

D

davespit1

Aug 23, 2013
Hi, I am going to get a new sxs and have narrowed my search down to a couple of models, one being the Honda pioneer. I will use for plowing snow and want to know if anyone has done a lot of plowing with the Big Red and your thoughts if you have? I am a little concerned with the lack of a low range. Thank you for any input, Dave

J

james

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2013
davespit1 said:
Hi, I am going to get a new sxs and have narrowed my search down to a couple of models, one being the Honda pioneer. I will use for plowing snow and want to know if anyone has done a lot of plowing with the Big Red and your thoughts if you have? I am a little concerned with the lack of a low range. Thank you for any input, Dave
The Pioneer has a 3 stage gear setup. It also has 2 different shift mappings to help for when you need power vs play. I have no doubt the Pioneer will handle you needs. Load the back up with some weight and you can push all day. Get the full enclosed cab and heater and you can push all week.
It will be more like play then work.
Plus, Honda makes a factory fit plow plate.

B

Bugnbrian

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2013
I have not plowed with my Big Red yet, but I pulled a rake with it in a small field. Within a few laps I learned how to hold it in first gear. I read a response in another forum and the person posting said that was the trick to plowing snow as well, holding the speed and revs to keep the transmission in first gear. Also, by my way of thinking (not much of an endorsement if you know me) even if the torque converter is doing some extra work and the gears are changing up and down more frequently than you'd like, it still has to be tougher than pushing snow with a cvt/belt system, and people do that all winter. Besides as the earlier post suggested, with the Pioneer's shift mapping system, I bet it will be far easier to hold low gear than I had raking with my Big Red.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!