100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please if any of you want, feel free to contribute productively to this thread. Obviously we all need clean drinking water and in a possible shtf scenario that may become harder to get. There are many types of water filtration devices and soon many may be in short supply as the panic buying continues and people start thinking about other things besides TP and hand sanitizers. We should study third world countries where potable water is very often hard to come by and proper sanitation keeps diseases like Dysentery, Typhoid and Cholera at bay. This is something every household, bug out bag or vehicle should be carrying for emergencies. If the power goes out at home and you have no more water stored, you can get clean water from the toilet tank in a pinch. Even if you're collecting rainwater from the roof or from a stream, you're still going to want to have a way to purify it. Besides the many commercial filters available on the market, There are other ways which we can use to make it safe to drink. I've seen where folks have place clear water bottles filled with water on their roofs and used the solar rays to kill any unpleasantries in the water. There's always boiling it, Steam distillation and making your own sand/charcoal water filters. I plan over the next coming days to make a few videos describing various means for which we can in a pinch clean our water so it is fit to drink. I have built my own steam distiller with two old stainless steel milking jugs and I have also made a sand charcoal filter too. For now, I'm going to list a few items we can currently buy or order while the system is still up and running.

Berkey Water filters

Propur

Similar to the two bucket system

Many replacement ceramic filters can be found on Amazon as well and you don't necessarily need to buy the more expensive Berkley filters.

FOR YOU BACKPACK//BUGOUT BAG

Lifestraws

MSR SWEETWATER OR HYPERFLOW MODELS AS WELL AS NEWER VERSIONS
REI carries a number of water filters for backpacking/hiking

Steripen which uses ultraviolet light to kill bacteria

Sawyer makes a number of water filters

Like for overlanding concepts, there are a number of portable showers that are currently available on the market and we can cover those in the next thread. I had just wanted to get this out to all of you so that given the circumstances, you can get something before the system starts to completely crumble.
Thank you @Hondasxs

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here are the two SS milking cans I'll be using for my steam distiller

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That was just my DIY Idea for distillation in a pinch.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!