Prefilter box 1000-5

S

Shelly

Lifetime Member
May 10, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So when I checked the prefilter on the 1000-5LE I noticed that the way the top snaps down on the box is totally crappy. Does not seal well. Has anyone incorporated any type of modification for this?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sorry, I dont have a LE. I got rid of that in my P1 and installed a snorkel.
do u have a pic of this so we can give you some ideas?

Thats My snorkel
38A0911A 7A29 49D4 9A24 44AEFE6A16EE

S

Shelly

Lifetime Member
May 10, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thats My snorkel
View attachment 284446
I have seen some of the snorkels but what are you doing around the air box itself? It does not seal well snapped down. Did you do something with that when you added your snorkel. I would like to do something like you have here but if the connection of the box top isn’t sealed up it kind of defeats the purpose.

Reactions: J80 and TripleB
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have seen some of the snorkels but what are you doing around the air box itself? It does not seal well snapped down. Did you do something with that when you added your snorkel. I would like to do something like you have here but if the connection of the box top isn’t sealed up it kind of defeats the purpose.
Mine is a 16’ and a completely different design than the later models. But most of it is the same. I removed the box and installed a fernco around the intake tube to attach the aluminum pipe. I then put some long machine screws through the black snorkel boot crossways and sat the pre filter on them so the filter wouldn't be sucked in.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So when I checked the prefilter on the 1000-5LE I noticed that the way the top snaps down on the box is totally crappy. Does not seal well. Has anyone incorporated any type of modification for this?
As long as you're not in water up to top of the intake box, you will be fine. That prefilter only stops huge debris. My seal on my lid has been garbage since day 1. I'm 9600 miles in on my 2018 with no issues. I extended all my vent line but never snorkeled my intake. I just make sure I dont go deeper than my than slightly below my hood.

S

Shelly

Lifetime Member
May 10, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As long as you're not in water up to top of the intake box, you will be fine. That prefilter only stops huge debris. My seal on my lid has been garbage since day 1. I'm 9600 miles in on my 2018 with no issues. I extended all my vent line but never snorkeled my intake. I just make sure I dont go deeper than my than slightly below my hood.
My concern really is the crappy seal on the air box. When we were doing the AZPT the dust was unbelievable! I don’t want all of that dust in my machine. The lengths Honda went on the main filter with all the cap screws I can’t believe what a sub-standard job they did with the prefilter box. Mine is a 2017

Reactions: J80 and Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My concern really is the crappy seal on the air box. When we were doing the AZPT the dust was unbelievable! I don’t want all of that dust in my machine. The lengths Honda went on the main filter with all the cap screws I can’t believe what a sub-standard job they did with the prefilter box. Mine is a 2017
You can always ditch that sponge pre filter, keep the set up you have and get some frog skin and use a hose clamp to hold it in place on the tube. Frog skin will stop a chit ton more than the sponge and most likely help that close alot better

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
T
That prefilter isn't going to stop any dust. Unless you have something aftermarket.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've never cleaned my prefilter a single time. I changed my air filter at 4000 miles and again at 8000 miles. My 5 seater is mostly by itself or leading the pack so it's not eating alot of dust. I have a 3 seater that my kids drive and it's always in the dust. I changed that filter somewhere around 3000 miles and it was worse than the 5 seater at 4000 miles.
20200402 174620

5 seater at 4000 miles

20210326 104903

5 seater at 8000 miles

20210430 115428

3 seater at somewhere around 3000 miles but I'm thinking it was a little less than that.

Last edited:
S

Shelly

Lifetime Member
May 10, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can always ditch that sponge pre filter, keep the set up you have and get some frog skin and use a hose clamp to hold it in place on the tube. Frog skin will stop a chit ton more than the sponge and most likely help that close alot better
I have never heard of frog skin. I will look into that. Thanks

advertisement
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520

Thats My snorkel
View attachment 284446
I've seen a couple pics of your rig and keep going back to those Honda arm guards....are those OEM? I want some for the 520...

edit - sorry don't mean to de-rail the thread with my question.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I've seen a couple pics of your rig and keep going back to those Honda arm guards....are those OEM? I want some for the 520...

I dont think the OP minds lol.
no they are not. I have SATV arms. @knuckledeep made them for me. PM him and he’ll make whatever you want

Reactions: rustyneversleeps
S

Shelly

Lifetime Member
May 10, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I like the way your snorkel looks so you have a parts list ?

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I noticed at about 3000 miles that I was loosing power. Pulled the air filter and it looked twice as bad as your worst photo. The Honda pre filter will stop very large items and that’s about it. Even though I never have to go through any deep water here in Az. I’m thinking of installing a snorkel so I can run an easy to clean K&N or Uni filter as a pre filter.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!