Preparing for hurricane season

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My old MEP003A military 10kw diesel generator had stop putting out 240V. Turns out, a rat had chewed some wires. Got it repaired and serviced with new oil and filters. I decided to go ahead and get 250 gal. of offroad diesel now, since I doubt it will ever be cheaper for the next 4 yrs. I hope I don't need it and will use diesel in skidsteer.
5dd992cf8658d07f7aa9e190e09f24c7D0648e8dafb89fe1a4f5bc84762676b3

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
A smart move.

I googled your town name. You're definitely in hurricane country but, @ around 243', you're on higher ground and probably avoid flooding.

I'm somewhat familiar with south Louisiana. I grew up in Port Arthur, Texas the alternate capitol of "cajun" country. It's been raining and flooding in Jefferson County, TX frequently in recent years.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A smart move.

I googled your town name. You're definitely in hurricane country but, @ around 243', you're on higher ground and probably avoid flooding.

I'm somewhat familiar with south Louisiana. I grew up in Port Arthur, Texas the alternate capitol of "cajun" country. It's been raining and flooding in Jefferson County, TX frequently in recent years.
Yeah, it is possible to get some small area of local flooding here, by a creek or river, but in general flooding is not the problem. After Katrina, we did not have normal power for 2 weeks. Most typical power loss is just a couple of days. Back in Feb during the big FREEZE, it was nearly 3 days without electricity.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
A smart, forward thinking late-friend of mine lived on a beautiful 35 acres in Titus County (Mt Pleasant) Texas several years back. He had a big Generac whole-house generator installed and also large propane tank to power it.

I thought it was an unnecessary big expense at the time but three years ago I moved to WV and bought a home with a similar Generac already installed. Southern WV where I live is covered by forest. All the trees, with power lines running through them cause frequent power outages. Now I'm very grateful for the 22kw Generator. When the power goes out we don't even know it unless we hear the Genset running.

The Generac senses power loss, starts the generator's motor, and shifts the load before our lights even flicker or any devices lose power. Now I see it as well worth the price.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A smart, forward thinking late-friend of mine lived on a beautiful 35 acres in Titus County (Mt Pleasant) Texas several years back. He had a big Generac whole-house generator installed and also large propane tank to power it.

I thought it was an unnecessary big expense at the time but three years ago I moved to WV and bought a home with a similar Generac already installed. Southern WV where I live is covered by forest. All the trees, with power lines running through them cause frequent power outages. Now I'm very grateful for the 22kw Generator. When the power goes out we don't even know it unless we hear the Genset running.

The Generac senses power loss, starts the generator's motor, and shifts the load before our lights even flicker or any devices lose power. Now I see it as well worth the price.
Sounds like you are lucky enough to have the 'luxury' model, that is great.

My 10KW is waaaaaaay under-rated. I runs my whole house, including a 4ton and 2.5ton A/C , 3 Refg, 2 Freezers and Water well ....... BUT, I do have to go outside and start it. I accept that as a minor inconvenience in order to have electricity.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I would also if I didn't have the Generac. I had an old farm house in rural Crosby County, TX for ten years before I moved to WV. We bought electric power from a rural electric coop. We had frequent power outages there and I had no back-up power source. There were several times when we were without power for days in cold weather.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
We're a Cummins dealer and a Generac distributor. Cummins is a better generator, IMO. I have dual MEP-803A generators mounted on a trailer with a built in transfer switch. One of them will run my whole house. I am eventually going to get a liquid cooled NG Cummins automatic unit, probably a 30KW.
Beast Plus

Last edited:
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We're a Cummins dealer and a Generac distributor. Cummins is a better generator, IMO. I have dual MEP-803A generators mounted on a trailer with a built in transfers switch. One of them will run my whole house. I am eventually going to get a liquid cooled NG Cummins automatic unit, probably a 30KW.
View attachment 274413
10kw, right? Those are the newer models that replace the old 003As. Those are nice and quieter, being enclosed. Are those Onan also?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
We're a Cummins dealer and a Generac distributor. Cummins is a better generator, IMO. I have dual MEP-803A generators mounted on a trailer with a built in transfer switch. One of them will run my whole house. I am eventually going to get a liquid cooled NG Cummins automatic unit, probably a 30KW.
View attachment 274413
I didn't' know Cummns offered a whole-house back-up generator as a competitor to Generac. I'm a big fan of Cummins engines having owned three Dodge-Cummins duallies.

Do you mean Onan generators which Cummins owns? I've owned RV's with Onan generators and like them also.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I didn't' know Cummns offered a whole-house back-up generator as a competitor to Generac. I'm a big fan of Cummins engines having owned three Dodge-Cummins duallies.

Do you mean Onan generators which Cummins owns? I've owned RV's with Onan generators and like them also.

Cummins makes standby, whole house generators. Up to 20kw air cooled, 150kw liquid cooled.

Cummins Generators

Reactions: Smitty335
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks. I was not aware Cummins also manufactures residential and commercial gensets. Probably pretty picey.

The Generac gensets are common and affordable although probably not as good.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!