P700 Pulling, reading, and clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's)

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
There doesn't seem to be too many sources talking about how to pull the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's ) from the 700's PGM-FI system, so I thought I would post up this info. For those of you who like to spin wrenches, the DTC's can provide a place to start when the dreaded "Check Engine" light appears.

Caution on the codes: Just because you get a code for a given sensor, do not automatically assume the sensor is bad. Many otherwise good techs have gotten egg on their face from making such assumptions.

FSM - Factory Service Manual
MIL - Malfunction Indicator Lamp (AKA-Check engine light)
PCM - Power-train Control Module (AKA-"The computer")
DLC - Diagnostic Link Connector. I have posted a pic at the bottom showing the location of this.
MCS - I don't know what this stands for, but it is some sort of proprietary scan tool your local dealer has. I left in some FSM quotes discussing it just for reference.

SCS Service connector- Don't worry if you don't have this "special tool"...because you do. A piece of wire with the ends stripped...a paper clip...a cotter pin...ANYTHING that can be used to jump 2 terminals in the DLC will work.

NOTE: Everything you see here applies to the 2014 model year ONLY. The 2015-up are probably very similar in most respects, but it is up to you to confirm if this will work on your newer model. If I come across a newer FSM, I will update this post with the information.

Everything in quotes below was taken from the Factory Service Manual...

"SELF-DIAGNOSIS SYSTEM
The PGM-FI system is equipped with the self-diagnostic system. When any abnormality occurs in the system, the PCM turns on the MIL and stores a DTC in its erasable memory.

FAIL-SAFE FUNCTION
The PGM-Fl system is provided with a fail-safe function to secure a minimum running capability even when there is trouble in the system. When any abnormality is detected by the self-diagnosis function, running capability is maintained by pre-programed value in the simulated program map. When any abnormality is detected in the fuel injector, the fail-safe function stops the engine to protect it from damage.

DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code)
The DTC is composed of a main code and a sub code and it is displayed as a hyphenated number when retrieved from the PCM with the MCS.
The digits In front of the hyphen are the main code, they indicate the component of function failure.
The digits behind the hyphen are the sub code, they detail the specific symptom of the component or function failure.

For example. in the case of the TP sensor:
- DTC 08 - 1 = (TP sensor voltage) - (lower than the specified value)
- DTC 08 - 2 = (TP sensor voltage) - (higher than the specified value).

The MAP, ECT , TP and IAT sensor diagnosis will be made according to the voltage output of the affected sensor.
If a failure occurs, the PCM determines the Function Failure, compares the sensor voltage output to the standard value, and then outputs the corresponding DTC to the MCS.

MIL Blink Pattern
If the MCS is not available, DTC can be read from the PCM memory by the MIL blink pattern.The number of MIL blinks is the equivalent of the main code of the DTC (the sub code cannot be displayed by the MIL).
The MIL will blink the current DTC in case the PCM detects the problem at present, when the ignition switch ON or idling. The MIL will stay ON when driving (engine speed is over 2,000 rpm).

The MIL has two types of blinks: a long blink and short blink. The long blinking lasts for 1.3 seconds, the short blinking lasts for 0.5 seconds.

One long blink is the equivalent of ten short blinks. For example, when two long blinks are followed by nine short blinks, the MIL is 29 (two long blinks = 20 blinks, plus nine short blinks).

When the PCM stores more than one OTC, the MIL will indicate them by blinking in the order from the lowest number to highest number.

MIL Check
When the ignition switch is turned to ON (I), the MIL will stay on for a few seconds, then go off. If the MIL does not come on, troubleshoot the MIL circuit (page 4-25).

CURRENT DTC/STOREO DTC
The DTC is indicated in two ways according to the failure status.
In case the PCM detects the problem at present, the MIL will come on and the MIL will start to blink as its DTC. It is possible to readout the MIL blink pattern as the current DTC.

In case the PCM does not detect any problem at present but has a problem stored in its memory, the MIL will not light and blink. If it is necessary to retrieve the past problem DTC, readout the stored DTC by following the DTC readout procedure.

Reading DTC with the MIL
Start the engine and lei it idle. Read the MIL blinking that is indicated as the current DTC and refer to the troubleshooting index:
- PGM FI system: page 4-9
- AT system: page 16-13

When retrieving the stored DTC, refer to the following procedure:
Remove the DLC from the dummy connector (page 4-7).
Short the DLC [1] using the special tool.

TOOL: SCS service connector [2] 070PZ-ZY30100

CONNECTION: Brown/red - Green

Turn the ignition switch to ON (I), read and note the MIL blinks, and refer to the troubleshooting index:
- PGM FI system: page 4-9
- AT system: page 16-13

NOTE :
• If the PCM has any DTC's in its memory, the MIL will start blinking.

ERASING DTC
Erase the OTC with the MCS while the engine is stopped.

How to erase the DTC without MCS
1. Remove the DLC from the dummy connector (page 4-7).
2. Short the DLC (1) using the special tool.

TOOL: SCS service connector [2J 070PZ·ZY30100]

CONNECTION: Brown/red - Green

3. Turn the ignition switch to ON (I).
4. Remove the special tool from the DLC.
5. The Mil will light for approximately 5 seconds. While the MIL lights, short the OLC again with the special tool. The DTC is erased if the MIL goes off and starts blinking.

NOTE : The DLC must be shorted while the MIL lights. If not, the MIL will not start blinking.

Note that the DTC cannot be erased if the ignition switch is turned to OFF (O) before the MIL starts blinking."

This is the DLC...

IMAG0252

It is located on the passenger side of the machine behind the fuse block, and has a cap on it. Mine was also taped to the harness with electrical tape, so you may have to dig for it. You'll be jumping the Brown-with-red-tracer wire to the green wire to pull and erase codes.
NOTE: At some point Honda changed the location of the diagnostic connector to the LEFT side of the engine bay in the same approximate location. My 2020 has it in that location, but I don't know when this changed.

Here are the code lists...

DTC

Tranny related codes...

DTC2

Good Luck!

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Had this sitting in the private forum for some time, but finally got to round up the pics to finish it (thanks PhotoF*cket!).

Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Do you know where I could obtain a Pioneer 500 2017 service manual PDF form if anyone can upload me one or I don't mind paying I just don't trust some of these websites if you can send me a link of a website you've actually purchased from that safe I'll get one I'd like to have one on hand please

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Do you know where I could obtain a Pioneer 500 2017 service manual PDF form if anyone can upload me one or I don't mind paying I just don't trust some of these websites if you can send me a link of a website you've actually purchased from that safe I'll get one I'd like to have one on hand please
bought my service manual from helm incorporated they do them for about everything sxs, trucks,etc p 700-2/4 $65.00 a few years ago. have bought several from them with no problems.

Reactions: Mudwing
B

bschulz903

Aug 4, 2020
Fayetteville, AR
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the info on the service codes. I am getting a 16 and also a 31. I changed out the battery but I am still getting the same codes. I am going to change out the shift solenoid too, but thought that the low voltage code would disappear.
Question: Should the low voltage code, 31 dissapear after I fixed the issue, or do I have to clear out the stored codes in the DCS?

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the info on the service codes. I am getting a 16 and also a 31. I changed out the battery but I am still getting the same codes. I am going to change out the shift solenoid too, but thought that the low voltage code would disappear.
Question: Should the low voltage code, 31 dissapear after I fixed the issue, or do I have to clear out the stored codes in the DCS?
You may have to clear it.

T

Tristin95

Jul 14, 2021
New york
Ownership

1. 700-4
How long does the light blink after clearing the codes? Do I just leave the key on till it stops blinking

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!