P500 Put down my deposit on 2017 P-5

L

lowtidejoe

Apr 13, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Hi there,

My name is Joe and I just put down my deposit on a 2017 red honda P-500. It will be primarily used for work on super rough mountainous trails and forest roads. I am an archaeologist and we have destroyed too many rentals and personal vehicles so I am building the ultimate P-500 on my own budget. I will be "renting" my pioneer to the company so I will be seeing some compensation.

I am trying not to go over board on modifications. I just need this thing to be a tank for when I am in the field becuase I am sometimes a days drive in a truck from the nearest person. I am trying to set my priorities straight for upgrades. So far I have this list, if anything stands out to you please let me know. I am aware there are some extremely knowledgeable people on here who are willing to help. Here's what I have so far, do you think theres is anywhere to find a better deal? I don't have a workshop so I won't be building any parts.

Hard Roof - $316

Honda Hardcoat full split windshield - $445

Kolpin Rear Windshield - $139

Superwinch Terra SR 3500+emp mount - $370

SSS UMHW Full skid package - $825

Aluminum Cargo Tray and Trailer box- $179-250

Looking for a lightweight 6 ply tire for desert and rock use- 25 inch Bighorns or 25 Maxxis Vipr

Looking for a lightweight 12 inch 5+2 wheel for stability - Quadboss COERCION? Or stock wheel?

Last edited:
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Hi there,

My name is Joe and I just put down my deposit on a 2017 red honda P-500. It will be primarily used for work on super rough mountainous trails and forest roads. I am an archaeologist and we have destroyed too many rentals and personal vehicles so I am building the ultimate P-500 on my own budget. I will be "renting" my pioneer to the company so I will be seeing some compensation.

I am trying not to go over board on modifications. I just need this thing to be a tank for when I am in the field becuase I am sometimes a days drive in a truck from the nearest person. I am trying to set my priorities straight for upgrades. So far I have this list, if anything stands out to you please let me know. I am aware there are some extremely knowledgeable people on here who are willing to help. Here's what I have so far, do you think theres is anywhere to find a better deal? I don't have a workshop so I won't be building any parts.

Hard Roof - $316

Looking for a lightweight 6 ply tire for desert and rock use- Bighorns? STI Rocktanes?

Looking for a lightweight 12 inch 5+2 wheel for stability - I like the STI Beadlocks for their looks but the weight concerns me.

Fuel cans.....
your gonna get...just over
50 miles per tank..staying in
steep terrain..did colorado
.....both times never leaving 2nd
gear...
just saying..
welcome

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome fellow archaeologist. Shovel bum from western Carolina.
Apache Trail Roosevelt Reservoir last February.
C57944A6 46A7 4066 BCC6 80AAD9112BCA

Last edited:
Reactions: lowtidejoe
500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Hi there,

Welcome Joe,you picked a great machine! I have regular sti tires and wheels,no bead locks. The rocktanes are 8 ply hard tires=rough ride. I had a side wall slice after about 2,000 miles on one tire and only one plug after 5,000 miles. You might want to consider a tire plug kit. I going to bighorns next for a better ride.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi there,

Hard Roof - $316

Looking for a lightweight 6 ply tire for desert and rock use- 25 inch Bighorns or 25 Maxxis Vipr

Looking for a lightweight 12 inch 5+2 wheel for stability - Quadboss COERCION? Or stock wheel?
Welcome.

Looks like you changed tire options while I was typing, but Roctanes are 8 ply. I wouldn't normally recommend that on a 500 due to the ride BUT...they would almost be like a run flat on the P500. Didn't have good luck with them myself, but most people do. DID have good luck with Big Horns. Everything they were made out to be.

I'd consider running a steel wheel since it can be bent back into shape if you wallop a rock, whereas aluminum will crack. You are probably planning on a spare, though.

L

lowtidejoe

Apr 13, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the welcome guys! I’m thinking about going 25 inch bighorn 2.0s on stock wheels with a wheel spacer. Hopefully soften the ride a little bit and add a little more stability.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Welcome and congratulations!
@WillyBill picked up some used Yamaha Wolverine wheels/tires really reasonable and they have a pretty good rear offset with 2.0’s, might be worth looking into for options.
Get pics up if you can, we love um:)

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the welcome guys! I’m thinking about going 25 inch bighorn 2.0s on stock wheels with a wheel spacer. Hopefully soften the ride a little bit and add a little more stability.
IMO, the original Big Horn is the only one to buy. The 2.0 was meant to be a lighter version of the original, and one of the ways this was done is reduced tread depth. So you put 1000 miles on originals and you're down to 2.0 status.
The other way (perhaps just a rumour) is reduced sidewall thickness. I don't know if Maxxis ever confirmed or denied this, but it's something I would research. Also seems like you hear about more flats on 2.0's, but at this point there are far more of them out there, many of which are OEM versions that aren't always as tough as the off the shelf versions.

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did Bighorn originals on steel rims with no spacers.

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Welcome to the forum @lowtidejoe . I'm running the 2.0's in 26" and haven't had any problems but I don't ride much in rocky terrain. Why go with 25's when you could get a little more ground clearance and a softer ride with the 26? They don't rub or anything.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Might find competitive OEM prices at HondaPartsKing. A jump starter pack and CO2 tire plug kit/hand pump suggested.

Last edited:
L

lowtidejoe

Apr 13, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
With the 26’s I was worried about doing damage or losing power. Seems like everyone is saying 26 but I might still go 25s to take it easier on the high wear components.

Thinking about going 25 bighorn slimed on the stock wheels.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
With the 26’s I was worried about doing damage or losing power. Seems like everyone is saying 26 but I might still go 25s to take it easier on the high wear components.

That was the reason I went with the 2.0's, bigger tire but still light.

P

POLISHPIPER

Apr 6, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500

Go with 26"er's... I had 25" BigHorn 2.0's taken off another ATV I own... I always wished for a little bigger (clearance & ride). Therefore I went to 27". Stay with 12" wheels... don't go to 14" as they will just make your ride rougher.
Go WIDE... Don't be afraid to put 26x10's all the way around. You won't need spacers if you do the 2x5 offset wheels.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500

Welcome to the forum @lowtidejoe - I decided to go with Blackwater Evo's on STI HD Beadlock wheels - 26x9-12 on all four corners. As many have indicated they do tend to run a little small, so a 26 might be closer to a BH 25? but tire size also is a factor of how much air is in the tire.
As far as performance of the BW, I'll let you know after Takeover.

Like @Mudder suggested, a jump start pack - I went with the Aickar 800A peak, 19800mAh
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J5G8PF6/?tag=sxsweb24-20

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!