BOX1

P500 Question and confession from a wiring dummy

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I have a SuperAtv power steering unit sitting in my garage waiting for installation in "Ute." (My P500) The instructions I have from SuperAtv and from this forum are fairly clear and I believe this is something I can do, especially when the stealership wants $495.00 just to install the unit. However, I confess to not being the most savvy person when it comes to wiring, although I can wire heated hand grips on an atv.
I purchased the Honda wiring harness. I think I can find where it plugs in. Someone mentioned the particular color wire that should be used for the power steering hook-up. I will try to look it up unless someone wants to save me some time and remind me. However here's the deal....
I use the accessory twelve volt 15 amp plug in the cab to plug in an oxygen concentrator I require when up above 5,500' in elevation. The concentrator is rated at 15amp, is battery operated, and when it is plugged into the 12 volt receptacle it constantly charges the battery providing an endless supply of O2.

So is the Honda wiring harness and all the accessories plugged into the harness, like power steering, sharing the load with the 12 volt under-dash 15 amp plug in? In other words, is the total amps allowed only 15amps? If so, what can I do about it? What are my options, and how do I implement my options? I am a wiring idiot. If you provide me with slow, simple, instructions similar as to what you would give a ten year old child, I might understand. Something where my eyes don't glaze over. I have done mechanical work on my atvs, but wiring confuses me.

When I had my single left lung transplant twenty years ago necessitated by a genetic enzyme deficiency, I vowed I would make the most of my remaining days and not live in a bubble. I purchased a travel trailer, a dually truck, a couple of atvs, and built up and use my gun collection. I learned to ride hard and fast, and I was pretty good at power-sliding around corners. I should have been killed on my atv long ago. I suffer from some old guy maladies now, and it is difficult to climb aboard my Grizzly 700, but I can ride in my Honda Pioneer all day long. (With a couple modifications.) I've worked hard. I can afford a talon, heck even a couple, but the Honda Pioneer 500 is just my speed and keeps me on 50" trails. Good Lord willing, It will be the last thing I give up.

I am telling you fellas about my infirmities for a couple reasons:
1. I am a proud sixty-eight man but feel compelled to come clean. To admit to having a physical disability is difficult to men I admire and respect. I have been wearing oxygen at higher altitudes for three years, and wear it while working on my lot up North. I greatly admire a member of this forum who devised hand controls for his P500. Apparently he hunts, does modifications on his machine, and does not let physical issues stop him. He is one of my heroes. His posts are interesting and I really like reading what new things he has done. Things like working on my atvs or Honda P500 can be difficult, so I imagine they are a challenge to him also.
2. This is the best forum I have ever been a part of. Every single one of you has been nothing but helpful. I've picked up many tips on what to buy and why. Your instructions on how to install accessories are awesome. You fellas made me laugh with your good humor. You are supportive and courteous of others. I believe the common bond of being owners of a superior brand of machine results in a superior forum. It also helps to have a good forum owner and moderators.

Wow, I sure blabbered on. Probably TMI - Sorry. If someone could answer my question about the wiring issue so I can install my power steering I would be grateful.

Thank you my friends, and God Bless

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Keep at it man! I don't know if the sub harness and outlet run together. But for us my plans are to wait till the warranty are up and then do some mods. I plan on adding a second battery and isolator. That way all the extras are not ran into the main harness. And if ever need be I could shut them all off in case of emergency problems. Also I like the thought of a clean accesory harness for the resale value later down the road.
Have good times and keep all 4 on the ground!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a SuperAtv power steering unit sitting in my garage waiting for installation in "Ute." (My P500) The instructions I have from SuperAtv and from this forum are fairly clear and I believe this is something I can do, especially when the stealership wants $495.00 just to install the unit. However, I confess to not being the most savvy person when it comes to wiring, although I can wire heated hand grips on an atv.
I purchased the Honda wiring harness. I think I can find where it plugs in. Someone mentioned the particular color wire that should be used for the power steering hook-up. I will try to look it up unless someone wants to save me some time and remind me. However here's the deal....
I use the accessory twelve volt 15 amp plug in the cab to plug in an oxygen concentrator I require when up above 5,500' in elevation. The concentrator is rated at 15amp, is battery operated, and when it is plugged into the 12 volt receptacle it constantly charges the battery providing an endless supply of O2.

So is the Honda wiring harness and all the accessories plugged into the harness, like power steering, sharing the load with the 12 volt under-dash 15 amp plug in? In other words, is the total amps allowed only 15amps? If so, what can I do about it? What are my options, and how do I implement my options? I am a wiring idiot. If you provide me with slow, simple, instructions similar as to what you would give a ten year old child, I might understand. Something where my eyes don't glaze over. I have done mechanical work on my atvs, but wiring confuses me.

When I had my single left lung transplant twenty years ago necessitated by a genetic enzyme deficiency, I vowed I would make the most of my remaining days and not live in a bubble. I purchased a travel trailer, a dually truck, a couple of atvs, and built up and use my gun collection. I learned to ride hard and fast, and I was pretty good at power-sliding around corners. I should have been killed on my atv long ago. I suffer from some old guy maladies now, and it is difficult to climb aboard my Grizzly 700, but I can ride in my Honda Pioneer all day long. (With a couple modifications.) I've worked hard. I can afford a talon, heck even a couple, but the Honda Pioneer 500 is just my speed and keeps me on 50" trails. Good Lord willing, It will be the last thing I give up.

I am telling you fellas about my infirmities for a couple reasons:
1. I am a proud sixty-eight man but feel compelled to come clean. To admit to having a physical disability is difficult to men I admire and respect. I have been wearing oxygen at higher altitudes for three years, and wear it while working on my lot up North. I greatly admire a member of this forum who devised hand controls for his P500. Apparently he hunts, does modifications on his machine, and does not let physical issues stop him. He is one of my heroes. His posts are interesting and I really like reading what new things he has done. Things like working on my atvs or Honda P500 can be difficult, so I imagine they are a challenge to him also.
2. This is the best forum I have ever been a part of. Every single one of you has been nothing but helpful. I've picked up many tips on what to buy and why. Your instructions on how to install accessories are awesome. You fellas made me laugh with your good humor. You are supportive and courteous of others. I believe the common bond of being owners of a superior brand of machine results in a superior forum. It also helps to have a good forum owner and moderators.

Wow, I sure blabbered on. Probably TMI - Sorry. If someone could answer my question about the wiring issue so I can install my power steering I would be grateful.

Thank you my friends, and God Bless
I dont know if that would overload the 15amp fuse or not. But you could add something simple like an extra port to run your oxygen machine. Just run it straight to your battery. $10 to $15 bucks and maybe 15 minutes to do it. The only negative, it would be hot all the time.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
The wiring harness, I believe, is only used as the trigger source. I highly doubt it carries any real load at all, and as such, is probably still OK to use. I'm pretty sure the PS unit itself is wired to the battery and the control box has a relay built into it to switch the load. You'll know to change it up if it pops a fuse. lol

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I think you'll be alright but you might want to look into the actual draw of that oxygen machine. Most of the time electronics only pull the maximum amperage at startup and it's not continuous.
The Honda harness plugs into the cig lighter clip, red one behind the dash and is rated for a total of 15 amps. Like Green Goat said, it's only used as a power on trigger for the EPS, you have to run the main wires to a battery source.
Too bad you didn't live closer, I'd just do it for you.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I have a SuperATV P.S, terminal posts and several accessories off the sub harness. Also forgive if TMI.

As said the four key-on power leads are on the 15 amp (180 watt) accessory plug but as @trigger mentioned, you still need to add a power steering motor source anyway, so…

If you already have a winch, its easy to jumper a 20 amp fused wire from the winch’s power lug to the power steering motor (~19 amps/220 watts max). Use any color harness lead for the power steering key-on trigger relay.

If you do not have a winch w/separate power, and with the importance of the O2 concentrator already pulling 15 amps, consider:
1) run a new wire off the battery. 6 gauge if a winch might be added later or 12 gauge (~35 amps) if no winch and just for the power steering motor, and if desired a new O2 concentrator power source.
2 if choosing the 6 gauge, recommend to use a high amp switched breaker near the battery
3) if just supplying the power steering motor, use a 20 amp inline fuse.
4) if desired, you could split power to create a dedicated plug for the O2 device. Fuse protection options are an 15 amp in-line fuse holder or push button breaker for the dash or separate fuse box.
5). Use any sub harness color + wire for the power steering key on relay trigger.

Examples of a high amp winch breaker (#2), a 15 amp breaker push button breaker, an under hood terminal post or fuse box (#4).

AC1156E7 96C2 4EAF A59A 4D31C72DD2D7AC733884 91D6 411B 9D10 22B734A51F7E
814C6E84 BFCF 4E02 A7B9 D59EF2E25053 E07A2761 DAF1 42A4 BF25 56E01D9B1792

Last edited:
Reactions: trigger and PJ1
PJ1

PJ1

FIREBALL P-500
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2020
Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 500
I have a dealer installed winch. I got a blue sea bus bar and lifted the winch power and moved it to the bus bar and ran shorter leads to the winch from the bus bar. This provided many options for powering other devices. Cheap and simple solution if you already have the winch. Good luck!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!