P1000 Question for the Electrical GURU's

J

John_S

Lifetime Member
Dec 27, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
guys, first I am not a beginner to electrical, I have designed and installed electrical systems in aircraft, boats street rods and motorcycles. Even though I have the skill and equipment to do most anything electrical there is always something to learn and it is with that in mind I post this. I got my P1000 back from the dealer after they replaced the PCM on Warranty. The service manager stated that although they could not prove the addition of electrical accessories he said that honda most likely would not cover a second failure. They also disconnected the + lead from the isolator. I have a winch, two aux LED lights, voltmeter and USB ports installed with a dual battery and isolator. All accessories are powered from the aux battery and the only tie to the OEM wiring is through the ignition lead which powers the main relay to turn on the accessory power and a common ground. Every circuit is fused and run through relays. So my questions are; what is the likelihood of the accessories causing a PCM failure, does the isolator actually serve to totally isolate the aux side from the main side and is there any reason I cannot remove the common ground and isolate it to the aux side? lastly what about removing the ign feed and just wiring it to a separate fused source coming from the aux battery to create a completely separate aux system. I believe that the PCM failure was the result of a high water crossing during a trail ride, how water tight is the Honda electrical system. I plan on going through it and using dielectric compound on all connections but even that would not be 100% effective. Thoughts on this, all input is welcome.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!