P1000_DLux

Its Only an Opinion Relax
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 17, 2020
Belfair, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A capacitor behaves like an electricity storage device, sort of like a battery, but almost instant to charge (given available energy) and similarly quick to discharge. However, most capacitors don't hold very much energy, at least not compared to a battery, and will not be suitable to your purpose.

First, I'm not sure what you mean by "power flux" in this application, as the term is normally used when speaking of radiation strength, not the more simple, voltage, current, resistance, and battery capacity we are dealing with. If your winch is slowing way down under load, I suggest the following:

Use a voltmeter (digital volt meters are inexpensive, even the junko sub $10 variety from Harbor Fright are quite accurate, though everyone should have a Fluke :) ). Hook the meter leads up directly to the terminals of your winch and see what you are getting for voltage when the winch is under load. Compare that to voltage measurement at the battery terminals when the winch is under similar load. This will tell you if the problem is with the battery, the wiring, or the connections. I.e. if the battery and winch voltages are significantly different, you'll want to consider upgrading the wiring. If the battery voltage drops way low (<10 volts would be my guess), the a newer, bigger, or LiFePO4 battery should work wonders.

Adding a capacitor for your winch application would only help if you are somehow experiencing very rapid fluctuations in battery output (and I've not seen that) . . . as the super cap will absorb energy when the power "spikes" and deliver it during the "dips" to smooth out the flow to the device being powered - this is why it's used in audio systems. But big DC powered devices on our sxs don't normally work that way, nor do batteries.
After doing further reading on this pretty much all of what you have down here is right on. After doing some looking under the hood, I have come to the conclusion that the battery is the problem although the battery I have is a AGM battery and will be switching to a LifePO4 battery.

"power flux" - meaning it pulses high power to what seems to be draining fast but doesn't die then goes back to higher power for a burst.

Sorry not the right technical term (I do work in the Nuc field)

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have come to the conclusion that the battery is the problem although the battery I have is a AGM battery and will be switching to a LifePO4 battery.

Did you measure voltage at the battery terminals while under load? Was that voltage above or below 9.5 - 10 volts or so? If at or above that, the problem is probably not the battery.

If you replace the aux battery with a LiFePO4, be sure to get the correct version of True isolator, or other charging/battery isolator device, if you are using the machine's electrical system to charge the battery.

Sarbuck

Sarbuck

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks @Hondasxs. I will say YOUR customer service has been top notch and I appreciate all the help you've provided. I am using the Moto Alliance harness and switch. Moto Alliance will send me a replacement wireless receiver so good there. They said the ground is why the switch won't backlight. So I went out to my shop, pulled the switch panel, removed the winch switch, passed it all through to the battery area, and connected ground in multiple places and tried the switch. It runs the winch fine, but doesn't backlight and only lights up when winching in...not out. I've checked the harness plug wires and they all feel firmly connected. Not sure what to try next. Any suggestions or ideas? At this point I'm wondering about having you send me another harness with premium switch and just start over, as long as it will work with the new V2 winch.
Hey all,

I just wanted to follow up on my issues with the new V2 winch. The Honda SXS Club store @Hondasxs sent me a replacement premium switch and harness, and Moto Alliance sent me a replacement wireless receiver for the remote. I installed everything last night and all is working as it should. Kudos to the club store and to Moto Alliance for excellent customer service! That's not easily found in today's world...great job Richard and Jarrod!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!