Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Ready to get a P500. If looking at a used one, what type of problems should I ask about or look for. Haven't decided on waiting for a 2017. Have owned atvs and bikes for 15 hrs and do my own work on them. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 500oneer
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum! We will be glad to have you hang around once you make your purchase.

I personally don't own a P500 so I'll let the experts chime in. Good luck.

Signature:

QUOTE by Eltobgi, Honda...Strong enough for the Farm!...Dependable enough for everything else!

J

JTW

Ready to get a P500. If looking at a used one, what type of problems should I ask about or look for. Haven't decided on waiting for a 2017. Have owned atvs and bikes for 15 hrs and do my own work on them. Thanks in advance.
I waited and bought the 17.. my buddy has a 16.. I highly recommend the 17!

Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

Right now it's rare to find a used P500 for sale, but I'd be willing to bet that's gonna change in the near future...
The 17's improvements will cause a few of us (not me) to make the jump to AT transmissions and taller 1st (& reverse) gearing... those changes aren't easily retrofitted to the 15/16's. (Tho, it shall not deter us from trying...)

If I were buying a used one, I'd pay attention to CV boot tears on the passenger front (if no A arm guards are installed)... So far the only design Achilles heel I've scratched my head over. (Personal experience - found a hole in mine before the first 500 miles. Ordered A arm guards shortly after)

I'd also pay attention to the amount of accessories installed. A P500 comes pretty bare bones. Things like windshields, roofs, rear racks are all costly. So take advantage if those are still bolted on when you arrive...

The bikes utilize a ton of Honda ATV history... So they're solid, like a Honda should be. You'll discover some Foreman part numbers are interchangeable with Pioneer part numbers.

15 years of working on you own stuff... there's really nothing I can say you wouldn't already know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Right now it's rare to find a used P500 for sale, but I'd be willing to bet that's gonna change in the near future...
The 17's improvements will cause a few of us (not me) to make the jump to AT transmissions and taller 1st (& reverse) gearing... those changes aren't easily retrofitted to the 15/16's. (Tho, it shall not deter us from trying...)

If I were buying a used one, I'd pay attention to CV boot tears on the passenger front (if no A arm guards are installed)... So far the only design Achilles heel I've scratched my head over. (Personal experience - found a hole in mine before the first 500 miles. Ordered A arm guards shortly after)

I'd also pay attention to the amount of accessories installed. A P500 comes pretty bare bones. Things like windshields, roofs, rear racks are all costly. So take advantage if those are still bolted on when you arrive...

The bikes utilize a ton of Honda ATV history... So they're solid, like a Honda should be. You'll discover some Foreman part numbers are interchangeable with Pioneer part numbers.

15 years of working on you own stuff... there's really nothing I can say you wouldn't already know.
Well said!!

Reactions: Jshell3