BOX1

R2C Honda Talon filters have experienced recent failures

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
Not all filters are affected. Check yours and see.
they have revised the urethane material to one with a tougher tensile strength.
I had mine off for cleaning and it shows nothing with close examination. I have had it off and on about 4 times,, just don't tighten the screws that hold down the outer plate down too much. If you do the soft rubber flange will squish outward and I would assume split open and the result in failure to seal. I just tighten my screws down to just where the rubber is slightly snugged under the metal flange. I also put a film of hard grease where the soft rubber makes contact to ensure a good seal. So far so good for about 2500 miles.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Cost me 10k for a new motor.

great company, offered me a replacement filter and never even followed up on that pathetic offer.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Damnit. Unfortunately, they are correct in the belief that a lot of other people willingly believe that this will never happen to them and disregard your experience

AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
Hi all, newby here. I bought my '21 Talon used and it has the R2C filter in it. I've had no problems with it but am wondering what happened with the damaged engines (were they covered, forgotten about?) and if there is a way to tell if the filter is the newer version. The gasket appears to be the original so I'm assuming the filter is too.

Reactions: Smitty335
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
They came out with a flange that was harder and not so easily to split the seam. I have no issue with mine since they came out, I have been careful to not over tighten the hold down screws spliting the rubber outer soft side. When I clean it and that is seldom since I have a pre filter I check carefully for any breakage. You look on a search feature you can find their ph number.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hi all, newby here. I bought my '21 Talon used and it has the R2C filter in it. I've had no problems with it but am wondering what happened with the damaged engines (were they covered, forgotten about?) and if there is a way to tell if the filter is the newer version. The gasket appears to be the original so I'm assuming the filter is too.
They(R2C) just ghosted me!!!!! Like @Sheetmetalfab said. They sent me a new filter also, no fing way I will use any of there products.
I WOULD REMOVE AND INSTALL AN OEM FILTER !!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
They(R2C) just ghosted me!!!!! Like @Sheetmetalfab said. They sent me a new filter also, no fing way I will use any of there products.
I WOULD REMOVE AND INSTALL AN OEM FILTER !!
Yep, me too; R2C threw away their reputation. :mad: Use a stock filter with a snorkel and pre filter and never look back. Either 10-80 Sports or HondaBob's snorkel idea (linked in my sig). I have over 10k miles on my original, stock filter and it's just starting to show a little discoloring from dirt.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I stopped selling R2C products after a few engine failures. They called me and asked me what I thought they should do. I guess I sold enough of these for them to think I knew something. They didn't like what I told them. Tram was my customer and I didn't like the way they treated him or anyone else. They make great filter media but became unreliable on delivery and drop shipments. If they didn't want to answer a question they would just ignore it. My products started taking off at this time so I decided I wasn't babysitting them anymore.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I stopped selling R2C products after a few engine failures. They called me and asked me what I thought they should do. I guess I sold enough of these for them to think I knew something. They didn't like what I told them. Tram was my customer and I didn't like the way they treated him or anyone else. They make great filter media but became unreliable on delivery and drop shipments. If they didn't want to answer a question they would just ignore it. My products started taking off at this time so I decided I wasn't babysitting them anymore.
What did they say or what was there answer when you told Them all this?

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
They asked me how to deal with the customers. So I said for THEM, not dealers, to contact all the talon customers and offer a buy back to have them switch to the revised filter. They chose not to do that.

They said they only had 6 reports of the filters failing. To me that’s 6 to many! The filter media was not the cause. The urethane flanges split and allowed dirty air around the filter. The revised filter uses a much stiffer urethane and I haven’t heard of any failures of that filter.

They should not have ignored the people with problems. That’s a definite no no! I liked their products but as a company they really weren’t great. If I had the funds I’d probably try to buy them out and make the company reputable.

Another thing they did that burned me and I’m sure other dealers is they had a factory fire and didn’t tell me so I know they didn’t tell other dealers either. For several months they continued taking my orders but weren’t shipping out any! That earned me a couple of negative reviews and not even my fault! This is when they wouldn’t answer emails or anything. That was stupid! I imagine a LOT or dealers ditched them after this. I do not have time to keep track of what they are supposed to be doing!!

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
They asked me how to deal with the customers. So I said for THEM, not dealers, to contact all the talon customers and offer a buy back to have them switch to the revised filter. They chose not to do that.

They said they only had 6 reports of the filters failing. To me that’s 6 to many! The filter media was not the cause. The urethane flanges split and allowed dirty air around the filter. The revised filter uses a much stiffer urethane and I haven’t heard of any failures of that filter.

They should not have ignored the people with problems. That’s a definite no no! I liked their products but as a company they really weren’t great. If I had the funds I’d probably try to buy them out and make the company reputable.

Another thing they did that burned me and I’m sure other dealers is they had a factory fire and didn’t tell me so I know they didn’t tell other dealers either. For several months they continued taking my orders but weren’t shipping out any! That earned me a couple of negative reviews and not even my fault! This is when they wouldn’t answer emails or anything. That was stupid! I imagine a LOT or dealers ditched them after this. I do not have time to keep track of what they are supposed to be doing!!
I agree, bad company and customer service. As a companey owner, we take care of problems right away regardless of how many there are cuz if you dont, word of mouth will get around and you will suffer because of it.
They will learn eventually and if they dont make some policy changes it will catch up with them and catastrophic.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@highpocket74 took great care of me!!!! I texted him with pictures on a weekend, he replied within minutes of my text. He then let me know he forwarded my photos to R2C right then. 10-80 is my go to company from that day forward.
When I let Michigan headed home, I contacted R2C by phone and offered to drive 3-400 miles out of my way to show them.the failure. I was told they already knew about it and had to redesign the urethane flange.
As a company owner myself, this company SUCKS!!!
WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND!!!!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!