Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Guys (and gals),
I've been informed of an R2C Talon air filter failure from one of my customers and a forum member. Their filter basically split apart at the seam where the flange meets the body of the filter, allowing dirt to bypass the filter. We don't know the extent of engine damage yet. When reporting this to R2C, the customer relayed to me that R2C admitted this was the 5th such failure reported to them. Apparently the previous failures were not any of my customers because I'd not heard of this from anyone.

After learning about this failure, I have been debating in my mind how to respond, since I have not heard one peep from R2C about this issue at all and had no previous knowledge of any failures until my customers reported this. You folks should know that I would not intentionally sell a bad product. Some of you I've met but the many other members out there that I haven't personally met should get the vibe through this forum that I'm not about selling crappy or defective products. My business, as well as other retailers, relies on vendors and manufacturers providing quality products to me. I can't perform quality control for my vendors. I purchase products in good faith that the manufacturer has checked their own products for quality.

My response so far has been to change all of my Talon filter listings to "out of stock". I've heard from my customer that R2C has redesigned the filter and, I guessing, improved the materials of construction with this redesign. I don't know what the future response will be from R2C to correct the issue for the MANY Talon filters sold. I know that my little business can't possibly replace all previously sold filters for free. The number of filter affected by this defect is unknown by me.

I'd recommend that everyone at least check their filters now before any more reports surface. Bend the flange all around the filter body and check for any cracks or splits. If you don't get that warm fuzzy feeling after inspection, then replace it with a stock filter. That's all I know what to tell everyone. I have run this filter in my Talon for well over a year and 1100 miles and after inspection I don't see any sign of a failure. If you notice a defect then let me know as my customer but I'd recommend you call R2C directly to report this.

I'm very sorry that these failures happened to anyone, but especially one of my customers. This has weighed heavily on me all weekend. I would never wish this on anyone!

Depending on how R2C handles this issue will determine if I remain a dealer. I launched my business with R2C and they have treated me well and been helpful. The R2C filters are a best seller for me with the Talon filters being the highest volume sales by a huge margin. I'd hate to give up so much income for my very small business but if they don't handle this in a reasonable manner, I'm not opposed to separating my business from theirs.

-Brian

PS. I've not had any Talon filters in stock since early July. All recent shipments have been factory direct to customers. If you have a standing order with me and want a refund I will certainly grant that. If not cancelled you will be shipped the updated Talon filter once they are available which is supposed to be this week (8-10-21). I don't have any of the original designs left in stock.

Last edited:
Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any of this affecting the Pioneer filters made by R2C? I’ve put about 3 hrs on my machine since installing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ChadD
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Any of this affecting the Pioneer filters made by R2C? I’ve put about 3 hrs on my machine since installing

No evidence of any pioneer 1000 filters. Seems to only be talon. The one talon filter failure for my customer was purchased in February of 2021. The pioneer filters have only been out since late June of 2021.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
R2C is replacing my customers failed filter with the new design.

I did check another well known filter company today and their talon filter says 1 year limited warranty, but in the warranty info says excludes competition and off road use. That doesn’t make much since. If they did cover a failed filter they would make the same replacement.

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
Are they changing the part number or revision # to help identify filters that may or may not have a potential issue?

Reactions: CID
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Are they changing the part number or revision # to help identify filters that may or may not have a potential issue?
After seeing the failed one, I pulled mine and have a stock filter on the way. I wouldn’t take any chances, this could mean a destroyed engine. And I have no confidence that R2C is going to take care of the guy who’s engine may now be ruined……

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I purchased mine thru Highpocket March 11 2020 and have about 2K miles on the filter without issues. I'm making a guess the problem could be caused by tightening down the metal plate too much on the soft rubbery flange around the filter. I noticed right off that the squishy flange would bulge out when I tightened the screws down to where I felt the torque was sufficient. Maybe,,, just maybe that bulging would pull the rubbery flange away from the filter where it is molded. It really stretched that rubber flange out and at the time I thought that material was to soft and flexible. I opted to just tighten the screws down to where I see a very slight compression on the soft rubber and so far the screws have not came loose, I figure the tension on the screws from the rubber pushing upward keeps the screws from getting loose. Another option to keep the screws snug would be to put a small dab of silicone sealer on the screw and over lapping on the hold down plate, I do all my drain plugs that way for insurance that a plug does not work out,,, old dirt track racing trick. For good sealing I coat a skim of belray water proof grease around the entire sealing surface of the filter flange.
I also bought a sheet of uni filter green foam and cut it to size and put it over the intake tube's and hold it in place with a wire tie and coat it with filter oil. If anything gets past the r2c such as a defective filter the green foam will save the engine, so far I have not found any debris in the green foam obviously the r2c is doing as expected and better.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
This failure is not guaranteed to happen to every filter, as oldfart stated above. As of now only 5 out of thousands sold have been reported to have failed. It's a good idea to inspect your air filter, ANY air filter, regularly for signs of degradation or damage.

I bought a used 2008 RZR in 2014 that had a fresh reman engine. Two thousand miles later I was rebuilding it again. During disassembly and parts cleaning I noticed one of the intake boots had a long tear in it that was not evident while looking at the part. I'm certain this was the cause of both engine failures not caught during the previous engine replacement, which was done by a Polaris dealer! I replaced all the intake boots with newly revised Polaris parts during my engine overhaul.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I also bought a sheet of uni filter green foam and cut it to size and put it over the intake tube's and hold it in place with a wire tie and coat it with filter oil.
Yep, this is a good idea regardless. Your point about screw tension is valid, but I know the guy who had the catastrophic failure and doubt seriously that it failed from improper installation.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
What are you using for a pre filter

20210707 210412

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!