R2C Honda Talon filters have experienced recent failures

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well that’s fine. But what you first said to me that got this going was that you had no worries because you had a pre filter….so for posterity it needed to be cleared up….👍
Second sentence in the first post says "filter split allowing dirt to bypass". That is what I based my pre-filter comments on. Will a prefilter prevent dirt from entering the intake in case of a filter gasket split..... Yup.

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
If our forum member whose engine may be trashed, is taken care of by R2C, that will say a lot about them….
Was the forum member forced to run this filter? Why is R2C responsible for a clogged air filter failing? Did R2C tell them to not clean or check it until something bad happens?

The engine is either trashed or it isn't... If it runs, its not trashed and can be rebuilt. If it's locked up it's probably trashed... How does one not know what the condition of the engine is but thinks the filter company should "take care of it"? What exactly would they be taking care of???

How about some pictures of the failed filter and the inside of the airbox? Pictures are worth a thousand words....

Reactions: GPR1500SC
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
So the R2C broke into pieces and got sucked into the engine destroying it or did the filter split somewhere and let dirt past it ruining the engine? 🤔
I don’t know all the exact details but it appears that the urethane molded flange that clamps down for the seal either pulled away from or split where it joins the main filter body. This happened along the top edge of the filter. R2C has redesigned the mold and changed to a stronger resin compound is what they are telling me. I’m supposed to have one sent to me ahead of a stocking order. When I get it I’ll be able to compare to the old filter and take pics.

What R2C does for the customers that may have damaged engines will matter. But they did react quickly to change the design when failures began happening. I’ve been selling these filters for over 2 years and using them for 7 years and this is the first time I’ve heard of failures with their filters. This failure was due to the urethane and not the filter media itself.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I also bought a sheet of uni filter green foam and cut it to size and put it over the intake tube's and hold it in place with a wire tie and coat it with filter oil.
Yep, this is the best hope of protection from an R2C filter that’s breaking up….👍👍👍

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes of course a pre filter is good insurance, but I can’t see how it provides

Agree. Not sure how many hundreds of horsepower these can add, but perhaps people could Google r2c air filter failures. I know two sand car guys that thought these were in some way better than the ump & donaldson combo.

Reactions: CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
but perhaps people could Google r2c air filter failures.
I just did...... The only thing that comes up is on a RzR forum with someone complaining about it letting dust into the intake tube. That was back in 2014. Care to fill is in on where to find all these other failures online?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Agree. Not sure how many hundreds of horsepower these can add, but perhaps people could Google r2c air filter failures. I know two sand car guys that thought these were in some way better than the ump & donaldson combo.
The forum member that experienced the R2C failure said that he called R2C and explained what happened, offering to send a picture of the filter and was told they didn’t need it, they’d seen a few and had redesigned the filter because of it. Who knows how many filters have failed for sure…

• Wow
Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just did...... The only thing that comes up is on a RzR forum with someone complaining about it letting dust into the intake tube. That was back in 2014. Care to fill is in on where to find all these other failures online?

Reactions: CID
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hope these links help someone, they're all old and i'm sure any past problems have been resolved by now:)

Reactions: Montecresto and CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hope these links help someone, they're all old and i'm sure any past problems have been resolved by now:)

I read both of those threads...... There are more people in those threads giving props to the R2C filters than anything else. The OP in the first thread never answered the question asking if he was using the correct P/N (double seal dirt track filter) for his application. Sure sounds like he messed up and created his own problem by the lack of response. The Kart forum seems to be very similar, with 99% of the users being happy with theirs. Got anything else???

How about pictures from the forum member who has the problem. The lack of pictures is telling in my opinion.

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I read both of those threads...... There are more people in those threads giving props to the R2C filters than anything else. The OP in the first thread never answered the question asking if he was using the correct P/N (double seal dirt track filter) for his application. Sure sounds like he messed up and created his own problem by the lack of response. The Kart forum seems to be very similar, with 99% of the users being happy with theirs. Got anything else???

How about pictures from the forum member who has the problem. The lack of pictures is telling in my opinion.
I would like to see pictures as well. I bought a R2C filter for our P1, it fit perfect, I think it sealed better than the stock filter with a lot more filter surface area. You know, pic's or it didn't happen?

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I would like to see pictures as well. I bought a R2C filter for our P1, it fit perfect, I think it sealed better than the stock filter with a lot more filter surface area. You know, pic's or it didn't happen?
I think he’s waiting to see what the extent of the damage is and how R2C responds to it. May not see pics for a while…

Anyway, the point of this thread is not to s*** talk R2C, but to let forum members who are using their filter be informed of a potential problem that could lead to catastrophic failures. People are free to do as they wish with the information…😉

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I have installed a ''filter minder" on my air box lid, it will indicate when there is restriction and I clean the filter before it could get to that stage it that is possible.
I had one on my Donaldson filter box on my turbo yxz. The lower part of the plastic gauge housing cracked where it screwed in and quit working so they can fail and give false promise. Pretty sure the filter the OP posted on this thread was clean before the ride and s*** the bed during 1 longer ride, 200 miles or so. The stock talon air intake sucks. Really needs to be rerouted at minimum.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
What some people call an R2C air filter “failure” is sometimes a correct air box cover installation failure. I’ve seen those pics and they never prompted (edit) filter changes.

This instance is definitely not that. It is apparently a real bad air filter failure. So bad that R2C has redesigned the filter to strengthen the failure zone and changed to a stronger urethane.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This instance is definitely not that. It is apparently a real bad air filter failure. So bad that R2C has redesigned the filter to strengthen the failure zone and changed to a stronger urethane.
Yep……
And the reason I immediately pulled mine upon seeing those alarming pics….
I’ll likely stay with OEM until there’s an established service record with the “new and improved” filter…

Reactions: Lil_Steve
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
So bad that R2C has redesigned the filter to strengthen the failure zone and changed to a stronger urethane.
This is why I have no problem keeping my order for a new R2C filter. They saw a problem and went to work fixing it. That tells me they are a stand up company that cares about the quality of the product they put out. I highly doubt K&N would be doing this...

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
This is why I have no problem keeping my order for a new R2C filter. They saw a problem and went to work fixing it. That tells me they are a stand up company that cares about the quality of the product they put out. I highly doubt K&N would be doing this...
I agree with Slowpoke here. R2C is making the change for better products. Their filtration media is top notch. I've personally seen more ATV engines ruined by K&N than other filters. They might be a good filter with a long history, but if you don't keep those perfectly oiled you have nothing.

I want to see what R2C does to help out the customers who experienced the failures. I know they have already sent replacement filter to my customer.

For my experiences R2C has had excellent quality. This failure is not a common occurrence for the company.

Kawasaki had R2C design a replacement filter for their Mule machines. That should give some credit to the technology R2C has. If you look them up, they also make air filters for the military.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!