sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
I received my R2C air filters this afternoon. I could not find any revision/part number on them and the closest I can get to the build date is the ship date of 8/11/2021. I ordered the 2 filter kit ( one kit which includes the top plate and a second that has just the second filter. Since I haven't seen one in person perhaps someone knowledgeable can glean any differences from the attached images. One thing i will do is date stamp the filters and kits before installing. Tomorrow I'll look closer, in the sunlight.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
That’s the new filter with the included gasket. No gasket with previous filters. Another customer got his replacement also with the gasket. And that’s what R2C told me, the new filters will have gaskets.
When I get the one they are sending me as a dealer I’ll be able to do side by side comparison and report on it.

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
Does the gasket go under the filter or under the metal.

Is the filter flange harder material vs the soft squishy type.?
Under the filter. I cannot compare hardness to earlier versions. I will post some pics and comments a bit later.

Reactions: Tramguage1 and CID
sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
I'm going to call this R2C V2 installation observations.

Provided Instructions

Current stock filter @130 miles

Existing intake (lower) box

Remove existing O-ring from lower intake box

Insert new gasket into o-ring channel, adhesive side down. * this took a while. I used a small tweaker to assist laying the gasket into the channel. I gently pushed the gasket in an inch at a time, going back and readjusting spots afterwards. The lower left corner was difficult to lay as it sits behind the lower intake tube. **I had 3 1/2'-4" extra gasket material at the end. I trimmed to fit.

Lay in filter

affix retaining plate. * I tightened per instructions to snugness, let it sit for a few then returned for the extra 1/2 turn.

Finished, without cover

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just a suggestion to everyone running this filter, think i would pull the R2C filters and install a OEM one ASAP!!!!!!

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
R2C asked me for a phone conversation this after noon.
I'll do that but I mentioned to them that new and old customers want specific information on how the filter design was improved to not allow the failures they have seen. I'll see what I can find out for everyone.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'll do that but I mentioned to them that new and old customers want specific information on how the filter design was improved to not allow the failures they have seen. I'll se what I can find out for everyone.
Ask them what they plan on doing about fatally damaged engines like @Sheetmetalfab 's. :confused:

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'll do that but I mentioned to them that new and old customers want specific information on how the filter design was improved to not allow the failures they have seen. I'll see what I can find out for everyone.
Good plan Brian…
Also, are the newly designed filters going to be sent out to all of us that purchased the early design filters, at R2C’s expense automatically, or are we going to have to contact them individually and request them…?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
OK here is the fresh scoop on the new OR10551 filters from R2C on the phone today:

The failure:
Was isolated to the urethane compound used.
They also say that to date they have only received 5-6 failures out of thousands sold.

The fix:
R2C has begun using one of the strongest urethane compounds now available that is harder and tear resistant. They claim you have to cut this stuff, it won't just tear. They're also including a new EPDM gasket to replace the OEM o-ring gasket that goes between the filter and air box during install. This is intended to supplement the sealing, due to the harder urethane (from what I understand) which makes sense.

Upgrading the the new design:

As a gesture faith in their products, they are working out a plan to offer existing customers a discount when upgrading to the new filter. I don't have the details of this yet.

Engine damage:
Engines that have been damaged by a filter failure will be evaluated on an individual basis. This is all new to R2C. They have been making filters for a long time and have never had a failure incident like this. My advice to anyone with a failed filter and possible or evident engine damage is call and notify R2C immediately and to take your machine to your dealer and have them inspect and document everything they find, estimating the cost to repair. I have a feeling if you expect to get any help from R2C this will be required and makes good sense anyway. R2C seems to be willing to work with owners in some way to make up for engine repairs caused by a filter failure, they just don't have this all figured out yet.

Pioneer 1000 filters:
The Pioneer 1000 filters have been made since the beginning using the harder urethane compound. R2C says customers should not worry about the durability of these filters.

Look guys, I have dealt for these guys for 2 years now. Of all the conversations I've had with them, today's was clearly different by the tone of voice. They seem genuinely apologetic for this incident. They were not the smooth, fast talking corporate salesmen you'd expect to chat with. It was a different conversation. They seem to be at a loss of how to handle much of this since it is new territory for them. When I asked about an upgrade discount for current customers, they didn't give me any BS about how they won't do that. But they do have to work out some kind of deal. They said no customers should doubt the durability of the new Talon air filter.

That's all I have for you guys today. I'll keep everyone posted on upgrade discount offers and any other news R2C shares with me.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
OK here is the fresh scoop on the new OR10551 filters from R2C on the phone today:

The failure:
Was isolated to the urethane compound used.
They also say that to date they have only received 5-6 failures out of thousands sold.

The fix:
R2C has begun using one of the strongest urethane compounds now available that is harder and tear resistant. They claim you have to cut this stuff, it won't just tear. They're also including a new EPDM gasket to replace the OEM o-ring gasket that goes between the filter and air box during install. This is intended to supplement the sealing, due to the harder urethane (from what I understand) which makes sense.

Upgrading the the new design:
As a gesture faith in their products, they are working out a plan to offer existing customers a discount when upgrading to the new filter. I don't have the details of this yet.

Engine damage:
Engines that have been damaged by a filter failure will be evaluated on an individual basis. This is all new to R2C. They have been making filters for a long time and have never had a failure incident like this. My advice to anyone with a failed filter and possible or evident engine damage is call and notify R2C immediately and to take your machine to your dealer and have them inspect and document everything they find, estimating the cost to repair. I have a feeling if you expect to get any help from R2C this will be required and makes good sense anyway. R2C seems to be willing to work with owners in some way to make up for engine repairs caused by a filter failure, they just don't have this all figured out yet.

Pioneer 1000 filters:
The Pioneer 1000 filters have been made since the beginning using the harder urethane compound. R2C says customers should not worry about the durability of these filters.

Look guys, I have dealt for these guys for 2 years now. Of all the conversations I've had with them, today's was clearly different by the tone of voice. They seem genuinely apologetic for this incident. They were not the smooth, fast talking corporate salesmen you'd expect to chat with. It was a different conversation. They seem to be at a loss of how to handle much of this since it is new territory for them. When I asked about an upgrade discount for current customers, they didn't give me any BS about how they won't do that. But they do have to work out some kind of deal. They said no customers should doubt the durability of the new Talon air filter.

That's all I have for you guys today. I'll keep everyone posted on upgrade discount offers and any other news R2C shares with me.
Thank you for the update, One has to wonder why the Pioneer was made with better urethane from the beginning and when the Talon came along they switched to an inferior urethane?

A discount isn’t what I actually had in mind, but I’ll wait to hear more from them….

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Thank you for the update, One has to wonder why the Pioneer was made with better urethane from the beginning and when the Talon came along they switched to an inferior urethane?

A discount isn’t what I actually had in mind, but I’ll wait to hear more from them….
The talon was first. Then came the Pioneer 1000 filter and the availability of a stronger urethane. What they are telling me is that the Talon filter was made with the best raw products at the time.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I had a conversation with the other forum member with a failure this morning and we both are hoping to remain as positive as possible and allow R2C the opportunity to step up to the plate.

I’m 100% behind his desire to not make a huge negative deal about the failures.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That seems like an excessive amount of filtering and probably hurts your horsepower and torque numbers some.
The green UNI foam isn’t all that dense. But I like the peace of mind of a fail safe system here. Took it for a spin yesterday, 10 miles pulling a 1,000 lb. trailer. Did just fine…👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Dankathy
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
The green UNI foam isn’t all that dense. But I like the peace of mind of a fail safe system here. Took it for a spin yesterday, 10 miles pulling a 1,000 lb. trailer. Did just fine…👍
I have been running the green foam over the tubes ever since I installed my r2c and I find no HP loss that I can feel in the seat of my pants. I originally used the green foam as a test to see if any dirt got past the r2c media and then got caught in the oiled foam. After intentionally riding miles behind my son n laws UTV eating all the dust I can endure I found the green to be free of any noticeable fine dirt even after washing the foam in a clear container and letting anything settle to the bottom.

Word of caution Montecresto,,, Make sure your wire ties are zipped up good since the fit around the air horn is like it is. I found one had come off and was laying in the air box at the bottom and the foam was just resting on the intake tube. I now secure the wire tie by running a tie under the one around the tube and running that one thru the clamp screw on the side of air horn. That way if the tie comes off it will just dangle and not risk going down the tube and blocking open the throttle plate.

BTW smear water proof (Belray) grease around the sealing edge or your air box and you will have a fail safe dirt proof seal. Kinda messy but not a big deal at all... When you service the air box it will stick on there and you will half to tug to get it off. Clean off the old grease using mineral spirits with a pair of your wife/GFs old panties and re apply new grease and yer good to go. I do not remove my lid too often because I have a "Filter Minder" installed and it tells me when I have restriction and cleaning is needed.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Word of caution Montecresto,,, Make sure your wire ties are zipped up good since the fit around the air horn is like it is. I found one had come off and was laying in the air box at the bottom and the foam was just resting on the intake tube. I now secure the wire tie by running a tie under the one around the tube and running that one thru the clamp screw on the side of air horn. That way if the tie comes off it will just dangle and not risk going down the tube and blocking open the throttle plate.
Yep, figured that one out before I ever reassembled the box. Made adjustments and took it on a small 5 mile run, checked it again, then an all day 70 mile run and checked it again. Just got off a 7 day cross country 500 mile run and anxiously await opening the box to see what I find…

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!