R2C Honda Talon filters have experienced recent failures

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just got off a 7 day cross country 500 mile run and anxiously await opening the box to see what I find…

😉

Wkjeqaryj8833x7e8zqtakesskhjna7qrqc248a5ridgiphy

• Haha
Reactions: Remington and CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
With all those filters you are running I'd be a bit shocked if you found air in there. 🤣

Reactions: bumperm
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yep, figured that one out before I ever reassembled the box. Made adjustments and took it on a small 5 mile run, checked it again, then an all day 70 mile run and checked it again. Just got off a 7 day cross country 500 mile run and anxiously await opening the box to see what I find…
That should be the ultimate test for how effective the r2c is performing,, please let me know the result the curiosity is too much. :)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That should be the ultimate test for how effective the r2c is performing,, please let me know the result the curiosity is too much. :)
Oh no, I pulled the R2C the moment I received the word and pics from our buddy on the failed R2C. I’m on the OEM with a UNI pre filter and the UNI green sheet post OEM. But, as soon as I crack the box and inspect, I’ll post pics…

Reactions: Tramguage1
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Will report back when the dealer gives me a quote.

my pos produced another half quart of oil out the breather.

brought it and my firstborn to the dealer Thursday.

• Sad
Reactions: CID and Tramguage1
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R

Sounds like 12-1 pistons, a ported head with bigger valves and a DCR cam are in order for the rebuild.

Go big or go home...

😁

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Sounds like 12-1 pistons, a ported head with bigger valves and a DCR cam are in order for the rebuild.

Go big or go home...

😁
Truthfully I’m considering building a CCSB v6 auto 1st gen Tacoma long travel (+4.5” all around) going straight for the 3” king coilovers and hydro bumps.

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Truthfully I’m considering building a CCSB v6 auto 1st gen Tacoma long travel (+4.5” all around) going straight for the 3” king coilovers and hydro bumps.

If your in the market for a Taco long travel kit take a look at TT Motorsports. My buddy Tommy owns the joint and build some very nice stuff.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Finally received some of the new Talon filters yesterday. I've only been waiting since July 7 order placement!
The new filters don't look any different but it's very obvious that the urethane compound is different and MUCH stiffer. This weekend I'll try to take some pics and figure out a way to show the stiffness difference.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
What procedure needs to be taken to replace the allegedly defective filter design ? So far mine is good and functions as expected .
R2C asked my input of what I thought they should do for talon customers so I gave it to them. They haven’t said a word about it since. Kinda crappy if you ask me
If your filter urethane is I good shape then I’d run it. Not all are going to fail. From what I’ve seen when the filter gets really overloaded with dirt is when problems happen so just keep it cleaner.

I also recommended an alternate design idea to help seal the filter with the new, harder urethane but I doubt they take me seriously. Even though it would be a very easy change to their mold.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4

Honda shop found 65 psi front and 85 psi rear cylinder.
machine ran remarkably well given that fact.
cylinders and pistons toast.
quoted $7-8k roughly and 5 weeks.
parts are available.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4

Go big or go home...

😁
Going all new Oem parts.

will have a good core engine block when done to send for cylinder replating.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
What's your plan with the core block? I might be interested in taking it off your hands...
I should have it back from the dealer in 4 ish weeks.

swing you a deal on it.

Reactions: Mudwing
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well guess its time to put this out there.
I was the one that contacted @highpocket74 about the R2C filter failure.
I sent him the pictures within minutes of discovering the failure.
He replied back within a hour to my text that he had forwarded my pictures to R2c.

So i removed the filter and cleaned the box as best i could in the field. I installed an OEM filter and pushed the Talon into my box trailer.
I called R2C while heading back towards home and offered to go over 200 miles out of my way to drop off my machine and the filter to allow them.to inspect it. I was told that they had already seen a few failures and they were working on testing a newly redesigned filter. The urethane used was to soft, and would fail. They offered to send me one of the first of the new design. Never offered to woeknwith me on possable damage to my machine. 7 days later when i got back home i dropped it off at my Honda dealer.

I had them take photos of the inside of the cylinders ,drop the oil, remove the filters and keep them seperated in ziplock bags And photos of the parts involved.

Once i had everything in order i set it to R2C by email. I waited 3-4 days with no reply i sent a followup email asking if they recieved the info. I got a reply the next day that the info was forwarded to the owner. Since that time i have left 5 voice messages on 3 different voicemails by phone with not one reply or callback. I did get ahold of Ryan on one occasion and was told the owners would be in the office the next day. Well that didnt happen either!!
As a small business owner i feel i have bent over backwards and gone WAY overboard trying to be as professional as i could.
My next step will be to seek legal counsel about my options.

@highpocket74 has been in contact with me weeky if not a couple times a week. He actually started this thread after we had talked about my situation. He has tried to be the go between for me and i cant think him enough.

I will upload photos after i reduce the file sizes.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!