P1000 Radiator Cap?

E

eyedocwood

Aug 21, 2020
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just bought a 2017 1000-5 and it runs great. After a week though, it got hot and there was very little coolant in the radiator. Anyone have this problem before? I'm thinking it may be the radiator cap, no obvious leak anywhere. No water in oil, or white smoke so I don't think and surely hope it isn't the head gasket.
Thanks!

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from Mississippi. This group has a wealth of knowledge. I have a 2016 P1K and it has never run hot. It seems like the 2017's had a PCM reprogram to address this issue but I'm not positive. You might do a search or someone might be along shortly to help you out.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
You gotta purge the air out of the cooling system. The air bleed bolt is on the thermostat housing on the front of the engine roughly under the seat belt buckle area. Top it off in the radiator, get it running and warm enough to let the thermostat open and start exchanging fluids from the engine to the radiator, keep adding fluids until the radiator stays full, turn it off and crack open the bleeder bolt on the thermostat housing with a 10mm socket and let the air bleed out until it starts leaking fluid out of the bolt. Tighten bolt and top off radiator and overflow reservoir. Install radiator cap. Best to have front end elevated the whole time youre doing this. I bought a cooling system vacuum and that works good also. You dont have to worry about the 10mm bleeder bolt if you have the vacuum. A new radiator cap is cheap. Ive replaced the wifes a few times already just for the hell of it when messing with the radiator or cooling fans, etc... good luck!

E

eyedocwood

Aug 21, 2020
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the reply’s. I guess I’m just wondering where all the coolant went?!

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
It might not have been filled properly from the get go. The P1000s are known for having air pockets in the cooling system. Maybe after a few up hill and down hill rides the liquid settled into where the air was, making the fluid level in the radiator drop. Just thinking out loud. Let us know what you find out.

Reactions: Mopower58

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!