P1000 Radiator fan replacement

G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Has anyone replaced the existing pioneer 1000 fan with a higher output fan and motor?
Thanks for looking.

Reactions: Smitty335 and TxDoc
G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thank you for your help. I was trying to look under radiator fan and wasnt doing so well finding answers.
The reason I am looking for a better fan is I was working in the heat going very slow spraying weeds and the engine overheated.
Have any of you installed the spal fan with a remote switch so it could be turned on remotely?
Thanks again for your help and best wishes.

Reactions: Smitty335
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
hi, need you to post pics of machine as you may be asking for a friend.....

are you sure your radiator is really really really clean? we have been down this road a few times and the pioneer radiator is on the edge of engineering efficiency - any blockage compromises cooling

also - have you had the cooling system apart at all and you sure it is totally burped, nothing blocking the fan in front\back, etc...?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The reason I am looking for a better fan is I was working in the heat going very slow spraying weeds and the engine overheated.
You need this!

Problem solved

Bcavin351

Bcavin351

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2022
Baton Rouge, LA
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don’t want to speak for @Adam490 but after driving his pioneer with the override switch and upgraded fan I have never seen it get over too bars and you can feel it pushing air.

G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thank you guys for your replys. DRZRon, the machine has less than 250 miles and has not overheated before. Everything else seems ok as well as fluid levels go. I have not run the machine with mostly just idling along with pluss 100 degree temps which is why I think a fan upgrade would be good.
Remington thanks for the help with the override switch. I have ordered the fan and switch.
Just looking at getting it all apart, doesnt look like an easy project, any hints on installation.
You guys all rock, thanks again.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, you'll definitely want to look into bleeding your system @golfer1

We've seen a number of them come with bubbles in the system brand new. There are bleeder valves at the front and back of the machine, make sure you get it all right. You could just take it back to the dealer, but depending on their service department......

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thank you guys for your replys. DRZRon, the machine has less than 250 miles and has not overheated before. Everything else seems ok as well as fluid levels go. I have not run the machine with mostly just idling along with pluss 100 degree temps which is why I think a fan upgrade would be good.
Remington thanks for the help with the override switch. I have ordered the fan and switch.
Just looking at getting it all apart, doesnt look like an easy project, any hints on installation.
Pro tip: make sure when your answering someone be sure to do it this way @golfer1 or we wont get a notice that u responded so we wont even know ;)

BTW hooking up the switch is easy peasy

Reactions: Smitty335
C

Cobber4082

Lifetime Member
Mar 26, 2019
Solon Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2018 that had over 1400 miles of use and never overheated "until" we went on a colorado trip... needless to say the forum burp treatment fixed the problem - so do this regardless its free. Then do the override fan switch and lastly look into the ECU update (if applicable to your year) that honda tech mentions (I took a copy of the bulletin into my local dealer as they tried to tell me there was no such update) Good luck

G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What year model Pioneer? There is a Fan Program Update for certain years to fix an issues where the fan does not operate
It is a 2019 1000 model.
have a 2018 that had over 1400 miles of use and never overheated "until" we went on a colorado trip... needless to say the forum burp treatment fixed the problem - so do this regardless its free. Then do the override fan switch and lastly look into the ECU update (if applicable to your year) that honda tech mentions (I took a copy of the bulletin into my local dealer as they tried to tell me there was no such update) Good luck
Thank you, I will check into it.
Have fan and switch on the way.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
hi, need you to post pics of machine as you may be asking for a friend.....

are you sure your radiator is really really really clean? we have been down this road a few times and the pioneer radiator is on the edge of engineering efficiency - any blockage compromises cooling

also - have you had the cooling system apart at all and you sure it is totally burped, nothing blocking the fan in front\back, etc...?
does your fan run?

nothing wrong with over ride, but should not overheat idling along....

G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yeah, you'll definitely want to look into bleeding your system @golfer1

We've seen a number of them come with bubbles in the system brand new. There are bleeder valves at the front and back of the machine, make sure you get it all right. You could just take it back to the dealer, but depending on their service department......
Thanks, I will check on bleeding the system

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!