P1000 Upgraded low gear Replacement

L

LJSXS

Nov 27, 2019
Springdale Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would look over you list and double check as i would hate to open the Subtrans and start the rebuild and then have to order more parts.
Make sure you look at Part #3, #6 & #8 these are a must if you are having popping in an out of gear low and Reverse.

This is off of partZilla as i like to have the part lay out this way and able to zoom in a bit more. Prices are better on Ronayers.

View attachment 414158
Looks as though I haven’t ordered #3 the final low shifter guide.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure if someone makes an updated gate for the shifter for a P1 like we have with talons to fix that issue? If someone does, that would help. Or maybe you just need a cable adjustment?
@Remington Highpocket 10-80 offers a plate for the Pioneer. It is quite the install, but I really like mine.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Remington Highpocket 10-80 offers a plate for the Pioneer. It is quite the install, but I really like mine.
Well there you go!
Id get an updated gate.
Ill look into it for my P1 as well. Thanks man

Reactions: RoyLee89 and LJSXS
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well there you go!
Id get an updated gate.
Ill look into it for my P1 as well. Thanks man
The dash has to come out, or slid up the a-pillar to gain access to the plate. Not a quick or easy install. I will snap some pictures tonight if I remember. It has a nice cut-out for positive H/R stops. I just slide the shifter on the right hand side, then let go.
It is currently on sale right now.
I ordered the 22+ rubber flap that blocks airflow to install with it. but it was backordered, so I never got back to it.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The dash has to come out, or slid up the a-pillar to gain access to the plate. Not a quick or easy install. I will snap some pictures tonight if I remember. It has a nice cut-out for positive H/R stops. I just slide the shifter on the right hand side, then let go.
It is currently on sale right now.
I ordered the 22+ rubber flap that blocks airflow to install with it. but it was backordered, so I never got back to it.
View attachment 414229

Nice! Did it make the low gear shift lower to engage better?
If thats the case, like the Talon was its worth the headache fo sho

L

LJSXS

Nov 27, 2019
Springdale Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Done! Job went well. No more grinding in low gear and the upgraded parts allow the shifter to click right into each gear position flawlessly. The hardest part of the whole job was me underneath the buggy lifting the sub transmission up over my head into position. A person from up above helping lift up would have made it gravy. My kids are married and moved up so old dad had to suck it up.

IMG 6883 IMG 6919 IMG 6923 IMG 6925 IMG 6928 IMG 6933

someguy1313

someguy1313

Mar 5, 2021
SouthEast
Ownership

1. 1000-5
good thread! good info!

@LJSXS, about how long did the entire process take? and any protips now that you've done it?

ALSO: did you upgrade the gate? or the reverse so far?

L

LJSXS

Nov 27, 2019
Springdale Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
good thread! good info!

@LJSXS, about how long did the entire process take? and any protips now that you've done it?

ALSO: did you upgrade the gate? or the reverse so far?
I do have the upgraded gate. Bought it a couple years ago. Regarding the job, I did it by myself. 2 things I would do differently again is have an extra person to raise and lower the gearbox into place. This was taxing on my shoulders getting the box aligned with the long bolts. Someone above just holding the weight would have been extremely helpful. Once the box is in place or on the ground, it’s easy to move around. Once inside, my unit still had a speck of white paint on the shifter, so I immediately took a marker and made my mark on both gears for re alignment purposes. Second thing is I would take more pictures at different angles from both sides. I took everything out of the case and set everything in a row. Then sit down and drank a cold beer and absorbed what I was looking at. Then disassembled the gear sets and started replacing old with new.

This upgrade is night and day compared to how it was. It almost clicks into gear now, don’t matter what gear now, it just flows smoothly. Go from reverse to low and it’s smooth as butter. If someone was close by me that needed help, I would do it for free just to see the look on their face when it was done. At one time, I thought about getting rid of my pioneer 1000, now I’ll run it till it kills over dead. 😎

L

LJSXS

Nov 27, 2019
Springdale Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I do have the upgraded gate. Bought it a couple years ago. Regarding the job, I did it by myself. 2 things I would do differently again is have an extra person to raise and lower the gearbox into place. This was taxing on my shoulders getting the box aligned with the long bolts. Someone above just holding the weight would have been extremely helpful. Once the box is in place or on the ground, it’s easy to move around. Once inside, my unit still had a speck of white paint on the shifter, so I immediately took a marker and made my mark on both gears for re alignment purposes. Second thing is I would take more pictures at different angles from both sides. I took everything out of the case and set everything in a row. Then sit down and drank a cold beer and absorbed what I was looking at. Then disassembled the gear sets and started replacing old with new.

This upgrade is night and day compared to how it was. It almost clicks into gear now, don’t matter what gear now, it just flows smoothly. Go from reverse to low and it’s smooth as butter. If someone was close by me that needed help, I would do it for free just to see the look on their face when it was done. At one time, I thought about getting rid of my pioneer 1000, now I’ll run it till it kills over dead. 😎
The job took me an afternoon and evening. Probably 5 hours just taking my time. Was in no hurry. If I was to do it again, and skid plates were off, I could pull front axle bolts, pull axle and shaft off and have sub transmission off in probably 45 minutes.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I completely agree. I just did mine last month and the click into gear is great

Reactions: LJSXS

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!