RB3 Steering Rack Install 1000-X4 Fox Live Valve

IngoTheBarbarian

IngoTheBarbarian

Sep 25, 2021
US
No one has done a comprehensive write up on doing this job on any of the forums, that I'm aware of. I'm just buttoning up the job and I have about 20-30 minutes of work left tomorrow. I started working on it Sunday but had a ton of interruptions. I've got about 6 hours of work into it so far. It could be done much faster, no doubt. If I did it again I could have the front of the car apart in an hour or so and have the new rack and the car back together in another couple hours. Not having any guide or anything I was being cautious, going slow, and thinking everything through.

I'll add to this post once I'm done.

99384be44da0ff9ad475f0a42c86895bBe0baac9b5a598800b770715fe952e1562b8a9b4459b88a093eae106bc4d11ef

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I find it much quicker to leave the axles in the hubs and just pull them out of the diff. With the tie rod, lower shock mount and ball joint unbolted there is enough slack in the suspension to pull the axle out.

IngoTheBarbarian

IngoTheBarbarian

Sep 25, 2021
US
I find it much quicker to leave the axles in the hubs and just pull them out of the diff. With the tie rod, lower shock mount and ball joint unbolted there is enough slack in the suspension to pull the axle out.

Good tip. Would've saved a bit of time. Do you pry the axle away from the diff in that scenario?

Reactions: Smitty335
H

HondaTech

They'll also come out if you remove the hub nut, lower arm mounts, and shock mount. Leave everything attached to the knuckle and lift up, slide the axle out of the knuckle and yank out of the diff.

Udaman

Udaman

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2020
Holt, Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon R
No one has done a comprehensive write up on doing this job on any of the forums, that I'm aware of. I'm just buttoning up the job and I have about 20-30 minutes of work left tomorrow. I started working on it Sunday but had a ton of interruptions. I've got about 6 hours of work into it so far. It could be done much faster, no doubt. If I did it again I could have the front of the car apart in an hour or so and have the new rack and the car back together in another couple hours. Not having any guide or anything I was being cautious, going slow, and thinking everything through.

I'll add to this post once I'm done.

View attachment 324439View attachment 324440View attachment 324441

I'm getting ready to remove my diff to install a torq locker kit and decided to replace the rack while the diff is out. I ordered the 1.5 to 1 rack from RB3 last week and still no word on how long of a wait it will be. How long did it take to receive yours?

IngoTheBarbarian

IngoTheBarbarian

Sep 25, 2021
US
I'm getting ready to remove my diff to install a torq locker kit and decided to replace the rack while the diff is out. I ordered the 1.5 to 1 rack from RB3 last week and still no word on how long of a wait it will be. How long did it take to receive yours?
I went and picked mine up because I live in the Phoenix area. I ordered mid-week and it was ready the following Monday or Tuesday. I think they're making very small batches or making them to order.

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Their shop offices just got remodeled this week so their life has been turmoil. Just call Joann and she’ll get you fixed up.
WB
I made them take a day off and go riding yesterday. They needed a break🤪

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!