P1000 Really, what are Bighorn 2.0 tires

TumaloKeith

TumaloKeith

Jul 28, 2020
Powell Butte
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like some govn't guy got involved with tire ratings. The factory Maxxis site says the Bighorn 2.0 is a 6 ply tire. But it says 4PR on the tire (27 x 11.00 NHS 4PR). But wait, there's more...this is the lingo:

For example; A 4-PR rating does not mean a tyre has 4 layers of body ply layers, rather the 4PR rating indicates that the tyre retains the same strength as having 6 of the older style body ply layer

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Bighorn 2.0 OEM tires on the Pioneer 1000 are 4 ply rated. If you buy a BH 2.0 from a retailer, they are 6 ply. All the Bighorns are decent tires. But, c'mon Honda, putting 4 ply tires on a 1000 SxS is uncool.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The Bighorn 2.0 OEM tires on the Pioneer 1000 are 4 ply rated. If you buy a BH 2.0 from a retailer, they are 6 ply. All the Bighorns are decent tires. But, c'mon Honda, putting 4 ply tires on a 1000 SxS is uncool.
I agree! I busted two stock fronts, and one stock size 8 ply on the front before I went 10 X 30 X 14 all the way around, no more flats, on my second set now, I hate flats!

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Tire "standards" are a major cluster.
Not just the load rating part of it.
They are diffrent between regions, the main ones being from the US, Europe and Japan (the places where cars are made).

But, specific to the load rating, the US system specified how many plys of cotton cloth where moulded in to the side wall.
This system dates way back to when cars first put pneumatic tires on.
I'm not old enough to know if it was before or just after the first world war.

Today the materials used are much stronger than the old cotton cloth.
So the standard (established and maintained by the tire and auto industries) specifies a strength equivalent to plys of cotton cloth.
Hence the disclaimer note the OP made above.

You don't see it much any more but back in the day ATCs and ATVs came with tires made by Japanese companies like Ohtsu .
The Japanese tire standard used stars instead of "plys".
people still conflated the stars as plys but at least they tried to make it more clear.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Cheap & lighter tires equal more perceived power and a is less expense meaning more profit.
Don't forget the front rims that come stock, that you can't run a decent front tire on?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!