Rear Bed

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
After looking at several different baskets and platforms for the rear deck on the Pioneer I started digging in my shop. I turned several scrape pieces of 3/4 inch birch plywood. The largest was 49"x48", I laid this on the deck and turned it several times, it was a lucky thing it was that size. Any bigger or smaller and I would have just gone with the standard 48" width and that would have been fine, but the 49" width puts the bed hair wider than the finders and just barely narrower than the roll bar uprights on the back of the cab.
IMG 1619 zps5xmiikzl

IMG 1628 zpsswg0kfns

I cut it 49" X 31" that let it hang over the rear a couple of inches. I laid the plywood on the deck and bored 4 holes that ran through the frame on the rear pipe deck to attach the bed, I used wing nuts on the bottom for easy removal, but now I don't see taking it off that much. I cut 4 pieces of the plywood that fit down in between the wholes in the rack and glued and screwed them to the big piece of plywood, so that there could be no movement.

IMG 1631 zpsafp0eqmy

I added a treat 2X2 across the front and put some eye bolts in it for tie points, I also put 3 pieces of aluminum angle and bored holes in them for bungee straps and used eye bolts to bolt them on for more tie points. I finished it up with several coats of truck bed liner.

IMG 1629 zpsnhmysmbc

IMG 1626 zpszq2rmfhj
IMG 1625 zpszane6s9t

So far its worked well, there is even room to back it up to my pond and put a lawn chair on the back and use it of a fish'n platform, keeps you above the snakes, ticks and chiggers.

Reactions: Mabe
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
sam3006 said:
there is even room to back it up to my pond and put a lawn chair on the back and use it of a fish'n platform, keeps you above the snakes, ticks and chiggers.
hahaha... Honda Pioneer Fishing Pier!!
Good job putting old scrap to good use. That is the exact reason why you cant ever throw that old sheet of left over wood away... lol.
You just saved $300+, You can use it to buy more stuff for your Pioneer. haha.

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
One other thing, I took this rig to south Arkansas deer hunting last fall and where we hunted was one big, flat mud hole. The rig did great, only high centered a few times bad enough to have to winch out. It was covered with gumbo mud. I used a water hose on it for 2 hours and then took it to a car wash and went through 15 wash cycles and I'm still finding mud in places I didn't know it had. The one thing that came out of this was we had the back deck piled high with tree stands, bow cases and our day packs and even though almost every inch of the Pioneer was covered with mud and water the stuff on the back stayed pretty clean and dry. It hangs over the sides and back just enough to catch most of the stuff splashed up or thrown by the wheels. We hit a few of the worst mud hole, we'd got high centered in going in, fairly hard on the way out and when we went back in the next day and we were really surprised at how dry the back stayed.

IMG 1585 zpswxw4za39

IMG 1584 zpsjbulc7dw

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!