P500 Rear brake issue

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
When I'm going slow and not applying much gas pedal I hear a squeaking from my rear brakes. I jacked up the rear end and spin the tires in neutral with motor off, and the brakes are slightly rubbing on the rotor. I doesn't seem to impede the rotation of the tires. Otherwise, the brakes perform normally.
Is there some sort of contact adjustment you can make or is this normal?

Thanks.

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
It is normal for them to touch. But how much is there left on the pads.
There is also a metal feeler, its job is to squeek when the pads get low.
You can see it in these pictures - P700 - Front Brake Pads - Pioneer $157 vs Big Red $76???
I think there is quite a bit of pad left. According to the manual, when the two reference points line up, it's time to change out the pads. There's about a finger's width between the two points.
Also, is it a pretty straightforward job to change the pads, or do you have to remove other parts to get at the calipers?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I think there is quite a bit of pad left. According to the manual, when the two reference points line up, it's time to change out the pads. There's about a finger's width between the two points.
Also, is it a pretty straightforward job to change the pads, or do you have to remove other parts to get at the calipers?
Its easy, 2 bolts and its off.
Turn the piston to get it to go back in.
Most likely trash in there then.

D

Deleted member 3748

When I'm going slow and not applying much gas pedal I hear a squeaking from my rear brakes. I jacked up the rear end and spin the tires in neutral with motor off, and the brakes are slightly rubbing on the rotor. I doesn't seem to impede the rotation of the tires. Otherwise, the brakes perform normally.
Is there some sort of contact adjustment you can make or is this normal?

Thanks.
Are they always squeaking? Mine squeak for the first few minutes of a ride but it goes away when everything is warm.

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Are they always squeaking? Mine squeak for the first few minutes of a ride but it goes away when everything is warm.
I only hear it when I'm going slow and not on the gas. After going over it and checking the reference marks on the calipers, I'm tending to think it may just be normal pad contact on the rotor.

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I only hear it when I'm going slow and not on the gas. After going over it and checking the reference marks on the calipers, I'm tending to think it may just be normal pad contact on the rotor.
I took the caliper off and blew it out with the air compressor -- pretty dusty -- no more noise! Then drove it and made a few hard stops to warm up the pads. Seemed to do the trick.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!