P1000 Rear differential lock adjustment box leaking

M

Mrmpia

Jan 11, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked up a new (2019) 1000-5 last month after years of thinking about it. After I got it home I noticed it was slow to shift between turf/2WD. The next day I brought it back to the dealer to have it adjusted and they called 3 hours later and said the cables were loose and they had fixed it. I went riding 3 times after that in Florida sugar sand trails and through some creeks to break it in and it has performed well. I am doing my 100-mile service now because the dealer wanted $480 and I would just assume it be done right by someone that cares about the machine. When I opened the rear differential lock adjustment box it was full of wet sand and after removing it the metal appears to be oxidized. Since I have already run vent lines to the roof, I began looking for the source of the intrusion and found the cover to the box to be warped on one side. It looked to me like the dealer misaligned the cover when they tightened it back on last month. So I drove it up to the dealer today to drop it off and the dealer told me that he thinks it looks like it was heat damaged or possibly a defective lid from the factory. I'm not inclined to argue semantics with them as long as they fix it under warranty.

My concern is: I feel like a new lid alone is not going to be sufficient. I would like the box replaced due to the start of oxidation and the cables replaced now that they could have water between the metal and the plastic sheath. They said they would have the mechanic look at it and determine what needs to be done and then contact Honda to see if they will cover it under warranty.
What is everyone's opinion as to what the proper fix is for this? Should I be pushing for a new box and cables in addition to the lid?

Thanks!
20200125 142741
20200203 111344

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I picked up a new (2019) 1000-5 last month after years of thinking about it. After I got it home I noticed it was slow to shift between turf/2WD. The next day I brought it back to the dealer to have it adjusted and they called 3 hours later and said the cables were loose and they had fixed it. I went riding 3 times after that in Florida sugar sand trails and through some creeks to break it in and it has performed well. I am doing my 100-mile service now because the dealer wanted $480 and I would just assume it be done right by someone that cares about the machine. When I opened the rear differential lock adjustment box it was full of wet sand and after removing it the metal appears to be oxidized. Since I have already run vent lines to the roof, I began looking for the source of the intrusion and found the cover to the box to be warped on one side. It looked to me like the dealer misaligned the cover when they tightened it back on last month. So I drove it up to the dealer today to drop it off and the dealer told me that he thinks it looks like it was heat damaged or possibly a defective lid from the factory. I'm not inclined to argue semantics with them as long as they fix it under warranty.

My concern is: I feel like a new lid alone is not going to be sufficient. I would like the box replaced due to the start of oxidation and the cables replaced now that they could have water between the metal and the plastic sheath. They said they would have the mechanic look at it and determine what needs to be done and then contact Honda to see if they will cover it under warranty.
What is everyone's opinion as to what the proper fix is for this? Should I be pushing for a new box and cables in addition to the lid?

Thanks!View attachment 181927View attachment 181928
It comes through the vent hole. Just have to extend it.

Reactions: Mrmpia
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As for the lid that's a first I've heard being warped I dont believe anything to warm is close to it.

Reactions: Mrmpia
M

Mrmpia

Jan 11, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My vent lines are already run to the roof. The lid is definitely warped and letting water in. That much the dealer and I agree on.

M

Mrmpia

Jan 11, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As for the lid that's a first I've heard being warped I dont believe anything to warm is close to it.
That was my thought. It looks to me like the dealer reattached it improperly. I just wasn't going to argue that point with them as long as they fix it. I'm sure they would rather say it is a defective lid and have Honda cover it than say they messed it up and have to eat the cost.

M

Mrmpia

Jan 11, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the dealer just called and told me Honda denied the warranty claim and they denied they damaged the lid when working. They are telling me I must have taken it off, melted it somehow, and put it back on. If you are planning on doing business with West Orlando Powersports, do not.

M

Mrmpia

Jan 11, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dont sweat it. Its a cheap part.
And the parts in the pic look clean. No dealer would replace that.
Yeah. At least I learned not to let them work on my Pioneer for less than a 20 part.

H

HondaTech

If i'm ever in a unit that needs the Turf/Lock adjusted, i coat this entire assembly in some form of spray lubricant. May not help if the unit is submerged, but keeps small amounts of moisture from clinging to anything.

Reactions: Mudwing
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That small amount of oxidation doesn’t appear to have gotten to the cables. Get a new lid and lube it up.

Reactions: Wellzy and TripleB
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!