P1000 Fan Control Lock Detection

Trail Rider

Trail Rider

Supporting Member
Jan 28, 2022
La Follette TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Going through trouble shooting for cooling fan issue. The lock detection did not pass, no continuity from fan control module 4p connector black and orange wire to ground. Fan is working at this time but need help understanding what the lock detection is for . Fan has failed twice since 2018 but seems to work when engine restarted. Thanks in advance for your input.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Going through trouble shooting for cooling fan issue. The lock detection did not pass, no continuity from fan control module 4p connector black and orange wire to ground. Fan is working at this time but need help understanding what the lock detection is for . Fan has failed twice since 2018 but seems to work when engine restarted. Thanks in advance for your input.
There is a computer reflash to fix your problem. Or you can do one of two things to keep it from happening again.
1- turn key straight to start with no pause.
2- turn key on and let the dash do all it little things that it does to completion, and then turn to start.
I've been doing number 1 since late 2018 and I've not had it happen since. That was around 13k miles ago also. Same for one of my buddies too. Others say number 2 works but I have no experience with doing it that way.

Last edited:
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
There is a computer flash to fix your problem. Or you can do two things to keep it from happening again.
2- turn key on and let the dash do all it little things that it does to completion, and then turn to start.
I've been doing number 1 since late 2018 and I've not had it happen since. That was around 13k miles ago also. Same for one of my buddies too. Others say number 2 works but I have no experience with doing it that way.
Hell I've been doing #1s & #2s since I was born.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
There is a computer flash to fix your problem. Or you can do two things to keep it from happening again.
fwiw - using choice 2 - this is when the electronics take a barometric pressure reading (or whatever it's called) to set the fuel injection; if you're changing altitudes during your ride, this is the only chance it gets to recalibrate - for whatever reason, Honda chose to omit this procedure once the engine is running, per @HondaTech in an earlier post. Open to correction if I remember this incorrectly.

H

HondaTech

Lock detection is probably the ecm's way of knowing the fan is stuck due to an object in the blades. Probably to save the motor from burning up.

Have you had the refresh done?

Trail Rider

Trail Rider

Supporting Member
Jan 28, 2022
La Follette TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There is a computer reflash to fix your problem. Or you can do one of two things to keep it from happening again.
I always turn key on and let the ecm reset before I start engine. That is probably why when I have fan issues and restart they seem to go away. Thanks for feedback

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!