P1000 New intake air control valve plug

H

HondaTech

As part of this I replaced the plug with one from link below. Which should rule that out unless I didn't get installed right but it seems good. I haven't ran through the checks in manual and check engine light went away.

Thing is I think I have it lined up but still has the idle surge so then I can only assume I don't. I just can't believe after removing and reinstalling 6-7 times now I would have got lucky once. It runs exactly the same if plugged in or not if that helps trouble shooting.

View attachment 370892

Link - IACV connector for Honda SxS/UTV Honda Pioneer!

View attachment 370895

It runs
Honda Tech - What are you thoughts on this comment from guy on Facebook that says he is Honda Tech also.

Link - Honda Pioneer 1000 Riders | Facebook

”The most common thing I see happen is that the iacv gets bent/tweaked during removal or installation, just barely. I had an issue where someone took on out to put in a different unit for troubleshooting purposes. I put it back in to have idle surging and idle hang issues, tried a different iacv but that didn't do anything, replaced iacv with new iacv body and good as new. Made it a rule of thumb ever since"

That's happened before as well.
The problems we use to see with them on the Rincon were sticking issues. They'd get stuck open and cause a high idle, white caused shifting issues.

I've had a couple atvs with ones that just don't work, they don't move with the key on and cause the surging idle, with no codes.

M

MadcoHokie

Sep 25, 2020
VA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It runs

That's happened before as well.
The problems we use to see with them on the Rincon were sticking issues. They'd get stuck open and cause a high idle, white caused shifting issues.

I've had a couple atvs with ones that just don't work, they don't move with the key on and cause the surging idle, with no codes.
It runs even if I unplug it, just runs crappy either way.

What mechanically or electrically that makes it idle high and surge? It isn't seating down? Seems like with the spring on the end it has ability to find home.

Just to make sure, I don't have air box on. The IAT is just measuring air temp not mass flow or something right?

H

HondaTech

It runs even if I unplug it, just runs crappy either way.

What mechanically or electrically that makes it idle high and surge? It isn't seating down? Seems like with the spring on the end it has ability to find home.

Just to make sure, I don't have air box on. The IAT is just measuring air temp not mass flow or something right?

The IAT can be left off and itll run just fine, it will throw a code if unplugged but won't affect idle.

The IACV uses the drum to set how much air is let past the throttle blades to achieve the correct idle speed the pcm has specified.

If it doesn't get in the groove then the drum can't go down far enough to idle properly and is trying to move down and cant. That's what causes the loping issue. The spring just helps push the drum down.

Any throttle sensor input makes the IACV stop where it is and the pcm ignores its signal until the throttle position returns to 0.

Reactions: CID
M

MadcoHokie

Sep 25, 2020
VA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The IAT can be left off and itll run just fine, it will throw a code if unplugged but won't affect idle.

The IACV uses the drum to set how much air is let past the throttle blades to achieve the correct idle speed the pcm has specified.

If it doesn't get in the groove then the drum can't go down far enough to idle properly and is trying to move down and cant. That's what causes the loping issue. The spring just helps push the drum down.

Any throttle sensor input makes the IACV stop where it is and the pcm ignores its signal until the throttle position returns to 0.
Ok, so it still seems like am not in the groove from what your are saying. I just can't believe I haven't hit the grove so that it would idle normal.

Could there be a burr on pin or something that keeps it from shutting?

What is typical idle RPM?

M

MadcoHokie

Sep 25, 2020
VA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The slot is to face towards the right. Isn’t that right.
The pin inside the bore is basically straight towards the back of pioneer. Maybe a couple of degrees towards drivers side.
2023 1 22 9 42 212

Reactions: tnoutdoors and CID
M

MadcoHokie

Sep 25, 2020
VA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Honda Tech - Is there a certain position the actuator needs to be in before you install it? I have been screwing it all the way in but maybe I need to put it in the middle? Could it not have enough adjustment?

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
M

MadcoHokie

Sep 25, 2020
VA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Honda Tech - Is there a certain position the actuator needs to be in before you install it? I have been screwing it all the way in but maybe I need to put it in the middle? Could it but have enough adjustment?
Ok, I was too impatient to wait for answer so went and screwed the barrel 2-3 revolutions and installed.

Started right up and was at just below 2000 RPM let it idle until warm and was just above 2000 RPM. Didn't lope once.

Question now is do I need to unscrew it more or is that the range they idle in? I can't remember what it idled at before I began having issues.

PXL 20230123 015813214
PXL 20230123 020353074

H

HondaTech

Ok, I was too impatient to wait for answer so went and screwed the barrel 2-3 revolutions and installed.

Started right up and was at just below 2000 RPM let it idle until warm and was just above 2000 RPM. Didn't lope once.

Question now is do I need to unscrew it more or is that the range they idle in? I can't remember what it idled at before I began having issues.

View attachment 371030View attachment 371031

They dont care where you put them before installing, they will find the location with the key on.

When warm, a Pioneer 100 should idle around 1,400 I believe.

M

MadcoHokie

Sep 25, 2020
VA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
They dont care where you put them before installing, they will find the location with the key on.

When warm, a Pioneer 100 should idle around 1,400 I believe.
Hmm, that's what I would have thought too but why did screwing it down lower the idle and make it stop loping? I thought ~2200 seemed still high so took out out again and unscrewed it one revolution and dropped ~400 RPM to 1800 RPM.

Does that mean it isn't adjusting itself? How does it know when it is all the way down vs up? Is it bottoming out and sensing torque load?

H

HondaTech

Hmm, that's what I would have thought too but why did screwing it down lower the idle and make it stop loping? I thought ~2200 seemed still high so took out out again and unscrewed it one revolution and dropped ~400 RPM to 1800 RPM.

Does that mean it isn't adjusting itself? How does it know when it is all the way down vs up? Is it bottoming out and sensing torque load?

I've never had to set it in any position to achieve a certain idle speed.

Id assume it's either not lined up with the groove again or it's not working at all/ or bent and is just stuck in that position, which is now at a lower speed.

With it out, you should be able to hold the barrel, turn the key on and it should move vertically on the spindle.

M

MadcoHokie

Sep 25, 2020
VA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Id assume it's either not lined up with the groove again or it's not working at all/ or bent and is just stuck in that position, which is now at a lower speed.

With it out, you should be able to hold the barrel, turn the key on and it should move vertically on the spindle.
So odd, I will take out and check function again.

So hold the barrel and servo should unscrew so plug moves away and exposed shaft is longer? If my memory serves me thought it rotated both clockwise and counter clockwise.

Is the ECU reading RPM and then trying to open or close to get to the 1400?

M

MadcoHokie

Sep 25, 2020
VA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

The story continues, so as Honda Tech suggested I held on to the barrel of the old IACV actuator that I replaced and it cycled up and down. So pulled the new one and it did the same. So I said screw it let me try the old one again. Put it in and started it up and now idling right around 1200 RPM.

It seems like it finds it's 'home' and that is where I left it when I installed it.

PXL 20230124 021102316MP

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!