P1000 Now I've Got Trouble - It Fell In The Air Intake

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sooo, there I was cleaning up after finishing a project when my elbow decided to putt a roll of electrical tape into the open air intake.
If earlier today you heard someone yell a Darth Vader "Nooooo!," better than Vader, followed by Samuel L. Jackson's best, . . yeah, that was me.

I did the responsible thing and sat and pondered the solution for at least an hour, then with Bushmills, neat in the glass, then from the bottle.
Patience and forethought will keep you from making a bad situation worse. Situations appear better after whiskey.

A lot of my work involves oil and gas exploration, and in the industry this is called a fish (def. - junk in the hole).
I've seen some of the wild tools used to retrieve fish two miles deep. So I fashioned one with flexible tubing and several versions of coat hanger wire on the end; think twisted pitchfork. Nada, didn't work. This may still be the solution, but the tubing kept spinning and bunching up.
The problem is there are two 45 degreeish angles to navigate.

Relevant facts: my rig is a 2021 P1K5 LE - yes, LE, meaning there are skidplates that I'd have to remove to get to the intake from below. I've checked under the seat, and there's no access point from the top.
I removed the rubber elbow (in photo) that makes the first turn under the intake box, but I'm not sure if the access is any better, top or from the side.

Steeped with Irish resolve, Imma thinking four things:
1 - Open the rear air box, surprise it, and blow it from behind with a compressed air bead seater to see what happens. As they say o'r there - brace yerself, Maggie.
2 - From the rear air box, again, shove at it with a flexible pool noodle, or something. Try to push it out the front, or maybe the reverse. For as fun as these two sound, neither are the silver bullet because of the roller coaster ride the thing has to take through the air duct to get back out on top on either side.
3 - Keep fishing. Find a different way to get the twisted pitchfork to hook it.
4 - Craigslist, "As is."

Please talk amongst yourselves, and respond. I'll be offline for a moment - going fishing with a toilet snake.

McStewB

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Sooo, there I was cleaning up after finishing a project when my elbow decided to putt a roll of electrical tape into the open air intake.
If earlier today you heard someone yell a Darth Vader "Nooooo!," better than Vader, followed by Samuel L. Jackson's best, . . yeah, that was me.

View attachment 385712

I did the responsible thing and sat and pondered the solution for at least an hour, then with Bushmills, neat in the glass, then from the bottle.
Patience and forethought will keep you from making a bad situation worse. Situations appear better after whiskey.

A lot of my work involves oil and gas exploration, and in the industry this is called a fish (def. - junk in the hole).
I've seen some of the wild tools used to retrieve fish two miles deep. So I fashioned one with flexible tubing and several versions of coat hanger wire on the end; think twisted pitchfork. Nada, didn't work. This may still be the solution, but the tubing kept spinning and bunching up.
The problem is there are two 45 degreeish angles to navigate.

Relevant facts: my rig is a 2021 P1K5 LE - yes, LE, meaning there are skidplates that I'd have to remove to get to the intake from below. I've checked under the seat, and there's no access point from the top.
I removed the rubber elbow (in photo) that makes the first turn under the intake box, but I'm not sure if the access is any better, top or from the side.

Steeped with Irish resolve, Imma thinking four things:
1 - Open the rear air box, surprise it, and blow it from behind with a compressed air bead seater to see what happens. As they say o'r there - brace yerself, Maggie.
2 - From the rear air box, again, shove at it with a flexible pool noodle, or something. Try to push it out the front, or maybe the reverse. For as fun as these two sound, neither are the silver bullet because of the roller coaster ride the thing has to take through the air duct to get back out on top on either side.
3 - Keep fishing. Find a different way to get the twisted pitchfork to hook it.
4 - Craigslist, "As is."

Please talk amongst yourselves, and respond. I'll be offline for a moment - going fishing with a toilet snake.

McStewB
🤔.... I'd say if you don't want to take it apart, run it for a few (rev it up).... help the roll work it's way close(er) to the air cleaner box. Open her up and try fishing it out 👍🤷‍♂️

Good luck!

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have a good shop-vac, you could try running the flex hose into the intake with the vac running. That way, hopefully, it'll suck in the tape roll when/if it encounters it. Easy and worth a try. If you have a inspection camera with flex line, that could be useful too.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@StewB Ive had exactly whats happened to you with the tape. The only way I got it out was to go about my normal business of driving and eventually it will get sucked up and get cought in your air box laying against the air filter. Isnt going to hurt anything.

I did everything but removing my skids and taking the intake tube aprt. Wasn't going through all that $hit.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've taped a shop vac hose to my backpack blower and blew from the air filter side on my buddys machine. It was full of water. It might blow a small roll of tape out too. We ended up having to remove that piece of pipe under the floorboard due to it being cracked from a branch. Had to remove floorboards and loosen the dash to get the pipe out to repair it. At least that how I remember it lol.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dropped a bolt down there. I was able to open up the intake tube at its joint below the passenger seat and shake it out.

Aside story: I once put the cap to an electrical tape container over that hole while I was in there working on wiring to KEEP stuff from falling in there.

Then I started my machine to test stuff and it took me 10 tries of starting and dying out to figure out I had capped off the intake and forgot about it. :rolleyes:

cntryby

cntryby

May 27, 2019
southeast
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I dropped a bolt down there. I was able to open up the intake tube at its joint below the passenger seat and shake it out.

Aside story: I once put the cap to an electrical tape container over that hole while I was in there working on wiring to KEEP stuff from falling in there.

Then I started my machine to test stuff and it took me 10 tries of starting and dying out to figure out I had capped off the intake and forgot about it. :rolleyes:
I did the same sorta thing while installing my batt isolater and switches... etc. Put a metal lid that just fit the hole over the intake. Start die, start die... ohhh yeeaaaaahhhhhhh. Goofy a$$ me.

Grip fingers may work, I have several lengths. For bolts I use a magnet unless they're ss.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I did the same sorta thing while installing my batt isolater and switches... etc. Put a metal lid that just fit the hole over the intake. Start die, start die... ohhh yeeaaaaahhhhhhh. Goofy a$$ me.

At least you didn't spend any time worrying that you just hosed up your machine by (doing something wrong when) replacing all the suspension and tires & wheels because it wouldn't turn and made all kinds of racket when you tried backing up, but then you remembered you had it in 4WD lock ... not that I've ever done that.

cntryby

cntryby

May 27, 2019
southeast
Ownership

1. 1000-3
At least you didn't spend any time worrying that you just hosed up your machine by (doing something wrong when) replacing all the suspension and tires & wheels because it wouldn't turn and made all kinds of racket when you tried backing up, but then you remembered you had it in 4WD lock ... not that I've ever done that.
If I ever did, which I haven't, I damn sure wouldn't tell anyone! 🤣
🤣🤣🤣🤣

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Under the seat is a flexible piece with 2 clamps, you can get the top one off and it may be laying there as I doubt it made the uphill run.

Trust me, I've been down this road before, twice.
Seems pretty simple, buy a new roll of tape :p
Big thanks to all.
I'm giving forehead Gold Stars to @Remington and @golf Cart for their responses: just drive it and buy a new roll of tape.
And there's always Craigslist.
Frankly, the photos in @TripleB's response scared the bejesus out of me.

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Big thanks to all.
I'm giving forehead Gold Stars to @Remington and @golf Cart for their responses: just drive it and buy a new roll of tape.
And there's always Craigslist.
Frankly, the photos in @TripleB's response scared the bejesus out of me.
👍
I'll drink to that! Burbon out of the bottle for just such situations.

brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Little Rock, AR & Crawford, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I dropped a low grade stainless nut (from my aux battery terminal) down mine, never again, ALWAYS cover the hole.
I used a camera like Scoop recommended above to locate it. Reason I mentioned "low grade stainless" is that means sometimes it will be mildly magnetic. I got lucky, ran magnet down there, had to be very careful to keep it stuck on the magnet...

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!