P1000 Air filter fail

A

AZBoatHauler

Jan 28, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Decided it was time to check my air filter - I’m only at 800 miles and about 100 hours but we are in the dust and sand quite a bit. Quite surprised when I opened up the air box to find both gaskets missing from the factory. To top it off, the replacement filter from Amazon fit like crap and I ended up putting the original back. Took me about 10 minutes to get the smaller of the two replacement gaskets to sit in place - are they always that difficult?

Mine is a MY 2021 that was delivered in January 2022 in case you’re wondering if your machine is also missing gaskets.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Missing two gaskets as delivered!

So how did the surfaces downstream from the filter look . . . squeaky clean or dusty/dirty? If air was bypassing the filter you might also expect to see dirt & discoloration at the edges where the air was bypassing the filter media.

I'm no expert, but if this be the case then I expect there has been some damage done to the motor. Might be good to take pictures and submit a claim.

Honda's USA assembly facility has done some shoddy work. I found missing fasteners, lots of overtightened panel screws, a broken rattail file that someone had apparently been using to align bolt under the seat, a broken piece of a cordless tool battery case under the seat etc. All signs of their assembly workers not all being up to par.

A

AZBoatHauler

Jan 28, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm betting the gaskets are there. It looks like there isn't one but it's there. I've never changed my gaskets out and I've done 4 air filter changes on 2 different machines.

Your gaskets aren't missing or you would've never made it 800 miles in dust.

They are there, they just get packed into the valley.
They definitely aren’t there. A big empty recess.

• Wow
Reactions: Jerryg and TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Decided it was time to check my air filter - I’m only at 800 miles and about 100 hours but we are in the dust and sand quite a bit. Quite surprised when I opened up the air box to find both gaskets missing from the factory. To top it off, the replacement filter from Amazon fit like crap and I ended up putting the original back. Took me about 10 minutes to get the smaller of the two replacement gaskets to sit in place - are they always that difficult?

Mine is a MY 2021 that was delivered in January 2022 in case you’re wondering if your machine is also missing gaskets.

I'm betting the gaskets are there. It looks like there isn't one but it's there. I've never changed my gaskets out and I've done 4 air filter changes on 2 different machines.

Your gaskets aren't missing or you would've never made it 800 miles in dust.

They are there, they just get packed into the valley.
This may have been why you had trouble getting the new gaskets in place, the old ones were still there. It's a simple check, poke in the groove with a screwdriver, no gasket, hard surface; invisible gasket, soft surface.

A

AZBoatHauler

Jan 28, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This may have been why you had trouble getting the new gaskets in place, the old ones were still there. It's a simple check, poke in the groove with a screwdriver, no gasket, hard surface; invisible gasket, soft surface.
I would love for this to be my mistake, but it’s a hard black plastic recessed channel and nothing else. The gaskets seemed a tiny bit oversized and wanted to jump out of the grove in a corner or around the bend - not double stacked.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I would love for this to be my mistake, but it’s a hard black plastic recessed channel and nothing else.
Now. The gasket will strech and seem too long. You need to make sure your not stretching it when packing.

Hopefully this was your issue and not all the way around not fitting.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I’m only at 800 miles and about 100 hours but we are in the dust and sand quite a bit.
You need to do what most of us have done, thats snorkel the rig with a pre filter intake to help with that dust issue so you dont have to replace that pricy OEM filter very often or not at all.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not a snorkel per se, but insurance nonetheless. Shown before adding filter oil. The course material Honda had in the stock "pre-filter" (if you want to call it that) would have maybe kept the thing from sucking in small critters. This helps keep the main filter clean and any increased intake restriction doesn't seem to have negatively affected performance.

20211009 212022

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not a snorkel per se, but insurance nonetheless. Shown before adding filter oil. The course material Honda had in the stock "pre-filter" (if you want to call it that) would have maybe kept the thing from sucking in small critters. This helps keep the main filter clean and any increased intake restriction doesn't seem to have negatively affected performance.

View attachment 403503
Where did you get your prefilter? Do you have a link?

Reactions: TxDoc

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!