P1000 RECALL - ALL Honda Pioneer 1000's due to Fire and Burn Hazards, Nov 8th 2018

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
We discussed it on here long before I received the recall, not sure if it was the same for everyone else. So when we are discussing the issue of legal responsibility on behalf of the owner I would have to say if an owner was made aware of the potential hazard and chose to ignore it then you would be correct! But if no notice was given or a vehicle was purchased after a recall was issued, one could assume that the issue would have been resolved or the vehicle should not have been sold placing responsibility on the dealership. I know that although I did not bring mine in I immediately checked mine to ensure there was no danger.
Agreed. I was mainly speaking for myself and wondering aloud how many others did similar, shrugged it off somewhat thinking the next time we take it in we’ll have Honda address that issue as well. Again I can’t remember with certainty but it seems like my notice instructed me to stop using the machine immediately and take it to the dealer as soon as possible. And I say that with the full understanding that that may not at all be what transpired with JJ.

Seems like the dealer should have already performed that service bulletin on the unit he bought as recent as that was.

It’s just going to make me think twice if I ever receive another such bulletin from Honda.

Reactions: Eltobgi
J

JJoiner38

Dec 13, 2018
Tampa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We have quite a few Floridians here, who is the dealer your dealing with? I see your in Tampa theres a few users on the forum FloridaCracker, KnuckleDeep, ShadowAero, Dribblez we go out riding with the service Manager at Love Motorsports in Crystal River I wonder if another dealer can help you if you bought it and it burnt down the same weekend?

Love is where I bought my 2016 1000-5
I bought it from Tampa bay Powersports. As I mentioned before I bought this 2 weeks ago. I had no idea of any recall until this happened and I started googling it. The dealer has their palms turned up. It’s really a s***ty situation and I’m pretty sure I’m going to have have a long fight in court to be made whole. Between Honda and the dealer neither is willing to step up. If anybody else has had this issue I would like to get in touch with you

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Agreed. I was mainly speaking for myself and wondering aloud how many others did similar, shrugged it off somewhat thinking the next time we take it in we’ll have Honda address that issue as well. Again I can’t remember with certainty but it seems like my notice instructed me to stop using the machine immediately and take it to the dealer as soon as possible. And I say that with the full understanding that that may not at all be what transpired with JJ.

Seems like the dealer should have already performed that service bulletin on the unit he bought as recent as that was.

It’s just going to make me think twice if I ever receive another such bulletin from Honda.
I checked mine my self, if you can replace the air filter, checking the clamps is a breeze. Ive pulled carbs off dirt bikes many time and re installed with the same system, difference they weren't buried and you could see it at a glance. It's pretty crazy that Honda let this slip through.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I bought it from Tampa bay Powersports. As I mentioned before I bought this 2 weeks ago. I had no idea of any recall until this happened and I started googling it. The dealer has their palms turned up. It’s really a s***ty situation and I’m pretty sure I’m going to have have a long fight in court to be made whole. Between Honda and the dealer neither is willing to step up. If anybody else has had this issue I would like to get in touch with you
Hey just wanted to send my condolences out to you. Loosing a machine so unexpectedly really sucks. Loosing it to fire and not being able to do anything would be heartbreaking. Obviously there’s variables on fault but no one wants to lay claim to that, tough situation. Again very sorry

Reactions: Eltobgi
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I checked mine my self, if you can replace the air filter, checking the clamps is a breeze. Ive pulled carbs off dirt bikes many time and re installed with the same system, difference they weren't buried and you could see it at a glance. It's pretty crazy that Honda let this slip through.
Oh I know dude, if you can turn the key you can check your own. The point I was making is that if we receive a recall that says stop using the machine until it’s fixed, probably a good idea based upon JJ’s ordeal and others really. Anyway I’m on my way to my New Mexico property this weekend and you can bet your ass I’ll be checking the TB on my P1K-5 when I get there to be sure that it’s proper. :D

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you get insurance on these things? Fire, theft, damage, etc? Never tried... Homeowners cover it? Hmmm...

FredD
It may depend on your state and insurance carrier/agent.
My machine has street plates on it and full insurance. $100 deductibles, full comp, fire, theft, collision etc.
Hell, If I break down and can get it to a road, it will even be towed. I think it added right around $25 a month to my insurance. Totally worth it should anything happen.

T

Tommyp

Dec 2, 2017
Covington La
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If this recall is just a loose clamp from tube to throttle body, how can this cause a fire? Aren’t these fuel injected engines? Should be no fuel there. Or is it a fuel line clamp?

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If this recall is just a loose clamp from tube to throttle body, how can this cause a fire? Aren’t these fuel injected engines? Should be no fuel there. Or is it a fuel line clamp?
I think they are saying it has a possibility of backfire and that’s what can cause it.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
T

Tommyp

Dec 2, 2017
Covington La
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like when it fouls the spark plugs and melts the muffler shield for no reason?

H

HondaTech

The clamps in question are below the where fuel is injected, if the throttle bodies are loose and happen to come all the way out, I guess fuel could be sprayed on the exterior of the engine and end up on the exhaust causing a fire.

Reactions: 0860silverado
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The clamps in question are below the where fuel is injected, if the throttle bodies are loose and happen to come all the way out, I guess fuel could be sprayed on the exterior of the engine and end up on the exhaust causing a fire.

You'd think if they were that loose it would run like crap if it ran at all.

H

HondaTech

You'd think if they were that loose it would run like crap if it ran at all.

If the clamps were just loose it wouldn't.

Even with the clamps removed, it takes a good bit of force to shove a throttle body or carburetor into a intake boot. The more carbs or throttle bodies your trying to seat at once makes it harder.

For instance, I tore apart a friends dirtbike recently for a refreshing to find it was missing the intake boot to carb clamp, and I know we've never had it apart. So he's rode it for almost 3 years like that and it never missed a beat. This is a little different story on the P1k, since its on the engine side of the throttle body and not the intake side.

The recall is not only checking the tightness of the clamps, but to make sure the throttle bodies are seated all the way in. I'm guessing if they are sticking up far enough, a running issue could show up. I think this could be where the fires are stemming from, the throttle bodies actually coming out and leaking fuel onto a hot exhaust. But, i'm by no means an expert.

You would think any running issue would have been caught before being shipped, but I've seen some units come in with some obvious red flags. Things that should've been caught in the testing procedure before being taken off the line, but they somehow made it to me or in some cases to the customer.

Reactions: Boblee and BWAF
SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Reactions: BWAF
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IS there any videos on how to check these yourselves. I am so tired of taking mine in for recalls. Thanks John
Not that I’m aware of. Would be nice if someone that’s checking would video it because it’s pretty simple.

THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN

Lifetime Member
Apr 4, 2018
Washington, North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It may depend on your state and insurance carrier/agent.
My machine has street plates on it and full insurance. $100 deductibles, full comp, fire, theft, collision etc.
Hell, If I break down and can get it to a road, it will even be towed. I think it added right around $25 a month to my insurance. Totally worth it should anything happen.
Got it on mine as well

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!