Receiver Hitch Beware

C

cornbread

Feb 23, 2016
East Tenn
I was thinking about getting it just so I can use all of my 2" hitches I already have.
I think Im gonna try the moose, need something to get my groundhog max on the P500. Ive used the groundhog on my atv and the key is to set it to cut shallow not deep. Its easy to get it too deep.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
T

TennesseeTurkey

Jan 19, 2016
Johnson City, Tennessee
HEADS UP: Pioneer hitch receiver: I purchased a Bad Boy Ground Hog Max plow to work on a few small food plots on my property. The ground Hog is designed to fit most ATV 2" receivers and the downward pressure of both the operator and the ATV itself digs into and plows the soil. My hitch reciever on the Pioneer couldn't take the pressure in the photo below. I'm sure the excellent Honda engineers didn't have this in mind when they designed the receiver. I'm having it cut out and rewelded with more support. Don't get me wrong, both products are reputable. I really LOVE my Pioneer. Just didn't want to see any other Pioneer owners who may use the Ground Hog to experience what I did!

View attachment 1397
BB, I had same problem with my 700-4 and the GroundHog. It worked great for the first pass but when I adjusted GroundHog to next notch downward to dig deeper my receiver broke. Inclosed is pics of my solution. 1/4" plate was bent and welded to each frame and on 3 sides of the receiver. Haven't tried yet but expect it to hold. Any suggestions? TennesseeTurkey

Image Image Image

Reactions: allgm1 and Hondasxs
G

Goulaigan

Mar 18, 2017
Goulais River Ontario
Ownership

1. 700-4
Had a similar failure with my reciever when the hitch hit a log on the edge of a drop off. I wanted to add a toy box reciever and like this mod that kills both birds.20170614 193038 307x173 20170614 193038 307x173 20170614 193008 307x173

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
G

Goulaigan

Mar 18, 2017
Goulais River Ontario
Ownership

1. 700-4
Mine failed in this same manner. Suppose it happened last time I got stuck and winched out.
I repaired mine just like you did.
Gator,
I'm really happy with this fix too. Not so happy with the pictures I posted because there not very clear. Haven't done it yet but the toy box hitch is also the obvious pick for other accessories like a rear winch or boat rack.
Goulaigan.

D

Deleted member 3748

Gator,
I'm really happy with this fix too. Not so happy with the pictures I posted because there not very clear. Haven't done it yet but the toy box hitch is also the obvious pick for other accessories like a rear winch or boat rack.
Goulaigan.
What is a toy box hitch?

Reactions: ohanacreek
D

Deleted member 3748

A second hitch just below the ROPs. Designed to support the lower hitch and a place to attach other accessories like a cargo carrier, winch, boat rack. Etc. I could post better pics if anyone is interested.
Ohhhh. I have the 2" moose receiver. Do you have one similar?

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
The factory hitch is still on but reinforced with a custom second hitch that comes out just below the ROPs. I could repost better pics if anyone is interested.
Yeah, Post some good pics. I'm always looking for good ideas.

Reactions: allgm1
G

Goulaigan

Mar 18, 2017
Goulais River Ontario
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yah, this is a 700 - Guess I posted in the wrong forum.... If the moderator moves this to the 700 forum, it would be appeciated.
The OEM hitch is very sucepitible to failure with very little up pressure. Before the repair the receiver was bent 45° up. Now the hitch is crazy strong in any direction.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!