BOX1

P500 Receiver hitch help...

Kracker

Kracker

Nov 13, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Maybe next time drag him instead of loading the weight on the rear of your ride.
It been a 6 mile drag to the truck... next time it be a clean in woods... I forgot my knife otherwise I’d done that... learned a lil bit...

Kracker

Kracker

Nov 13, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I don’t think I would loose any sleep over the bend. I don’t use one of those hitch baskets on my p5 but if I did I think I would run a couple ratchet straps from the back corners of the basket to the back rack to help support the weight.
Gona go with the moose hitch and put a piece of angle iron across top two bolts... and not ever load anything over 250ish on it again...

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
That's awesome. I'm thinking there are several factors at play:
1. The weight - that's a lot of weight, when you combine the animal and the basket
2. The leverage and the way the weight is applied: the closer to the receiver, the less leverage and rotational force applied to the receiver. In this case, the basket puts the weight out a long ways away from the receiver, creating lots of leverage = much more than just 350 lbs at the receiver - in rotational force
3. Driving forces: you're driving and hitting bumps along the way, and bounces, which dramatically increase the downforce/weight on the receiver.
All of this combined bent the frame.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
That's awesome. I'm thinking there are several factors at play:
1. The weight - that's a lot of weight, when you combine the animal and the basket
2. The leverage and the way the weight is applied: the closer to the receiver, the less leverage and rotational force applied to the receiver. In this case, the basket puts the weight out a long ways away from the receiver, creating lots of leverage = much more than just 350 lbs at the receiver - in rotational force
3. Driving forces: you're driving and hitting bumps along the way, and bounces, which dramatically increase the downforce/weight on the receiver.
All of this combined bent the frame.
Yep, all good points. The P5 really is such a solid and dependable sxs that it’s easy to ask too much of it.

Reactions: SouthwestORV
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Still don’t know about latent potential stress on diff from bend, maybe would unbolt the mounts to see if theres any movement from hole alignment when free. Thinking of long term fatique on aluminum case if so. A hard slam on a rock could be an additional transmitted force. (I’m ex Nuclear Power and we over think everything - rightly so).
So THAT'S what wrong...I'm mean...so THAT'S why you're so smart. :) Just giving you grief. I agree with your thoughts on stress on the diff.

Reactions: Mudder
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Still don’t know about latent potential stress on diff from bend, maybe would unbolt the mounts to see if theres any movement from hole alignment when free. Thinking of long term fatique on aluminum case if so. A hard slam on a rock could be an additional transmitted force. (I’m ex Nuclear Power and we over think everything - rightly so).

Lossen the mounting bolts then retorque.
No residual stress.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Wonder how something like a rear mounted Hook a Lift would work on a P500, with a $50 HF 2500 wireless remote winch since the rear rack is rated at 450lbs.

41EE20CB DC39 46D1 97A7 A5CCC541B1E2

Last edited:
Kracker

Kracker

Nov 13, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
So finally got around to puttin a tac on those cracked welds and installing the moose 2” reciever... which by the way was f-ing bush league they send u two nuts your suppose to use two of your existing ones... nope wouldn’t thread on supplied bolts and holes didn’t even line up...so after trip to hardware store and drilling holes out it finally fits.... too much work for a “bolt up and go”... anyhow just wondering if any of you others ran into that with this hitch posted a pic of the misalignment

495C0C0A C4C7 4119 94F8 0F51291ACE3D C0C335D3 B5C4 4E2D B7F1 F0D6998C202D

Reactions: Mudder and trigger
Kracker

Kracker

Nov 13, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Lossen the mounting bolts then retorque.
No residual stress.
I did loosen and there was no stress whatsoever ever so I’m assuming it’s gona be fine... if not that’s what ins and warranties are for....

Reactions: Mudder
Yellowbeast

Yellowbeast

May 29, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 500
Do u guys think moving a 14’ trailer that weights 1450 lbs around my yard would be to much for the stock hitch? Don’t want to buy the moose hitch if don’t need to

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Do u guys think moving a 14’ trailer that weights 1450 lbs around my yard would be to much for the stock hitch? Don’t want to buy the moose hitch if don’t need to
It's the up And down stress that kills the hitch. If the trailer has good balance, I think it'd be fine ( low tongue weight ). Use the shortest hitch you can find, not one that sticks out a foot like some of the cheap ones.

G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
It's the up And down stress that kills the hitch. If the trailer has good balance, I think it'd be fine ( low tongue weight ). Use the shortest hitch you can find, not one that sticks out a foot like some of the cheap ones.
Yup, I shoved mine to the hilt, marked it and drilled a new pin hole, can’t get any shorter, but not worried too much about my receiver now.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 12’ weighs 1250lbs and mine didn’t have any problem with it, you could feel it back there for sure but no problems.

Reactions: Yellowbeast
Yellowbeast

Yellowbeast

May 29, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 500
My 12’ weighs 1250lbs and mine didn’t have any problem with it, you could feel it back there for sure but no problems.

Ok thanks for the responses I’m just gonna putt around my yard to move it from the bottom to the top where my truck is. I would sooner use the p5 vs my truck a lot less weight lol

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok thanks for the responses I’m just gonna putt around my yard to move it from the bottom to the top where my truck is. I would sooner use the p5 vs my truck a lot less weight lol
I see, you should be fine. I was using mine to throw brush on so you shouldn’t have any problem.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
See my video below. As said previously, appropriate tongue weight/configuration, and you should be fine.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Inexpensive piece of mind with a piece of angle iron?

775BE2DF 1571 4FA1 BD74 CC15D3C29E5F

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!