Removeable sleeve in the fuel filler neck

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
By removing the sleeve I can get more fuel in the tank,,, sounds great, but.
I have heard that will raise the fuel level and it can flood the charcoal filter that soaks up the fumes from the tank. If that does occur I would experience engine running issues and diagnostic codes.

What does anyone know about this issue?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Removing the sleeve to allow overfilling the fuel tank will probably result in fuel leaking around the tank cap and filling the cab with the odor of gasoline if it's a closed cab.

What would it accomplish? Ad additional 1/2 gallon of fuel?

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have heard that will raise the fuel level and it can flood the charcoal filter that soaks up the fumes from the tank. If that does occur I would experience engine running issues and diagnostic codes.

I think @CID has this done

Reactions: Lady01 and rtn001
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

AFAIK only California models have a charcoal filter. I have no idea how this would affect that emissions system. My vent ran straight from the tank to its nipple in the frame which is just behind the rubber firewall cover - seen from the right front tire.

Removing the sleeve to allow overfilling the fuel tank will probably result in fuel leaking around the tank cap and filling the cab with the odor of gasoline if it's a closed cab.

What would it accomplish? Ad additional 1/2 gallon of fuel?
Honda says the Talon's fuel capacity is 7.3 gallons (2 seater). After removing the inlet sleeve, I ran mine out of fuel and was able to add 8.7 gallons, so I gained 1.4 gallons. The fuel cap isn't vented, any overflow drips out at the frame nipple.
I think @CID has this done
Thanks for the tag, I'm always willing to share my experience.

This seems to be a hot button mod for some, do it or don't, you're a grown up. Since I'm likely to spill a little fuel anytime I fill the mower or snowblower, it doesn't bother me on the buggy either. The extra 1.4 gallons is important for my solo rides in the vastness of the desert southwest.

There's much more info in this thread including how I solved the smell of fuel in the cab by extending the vent (that only happened on steep, rocky descents where the full tank sloshed 'some' fuel). If I fill up in town on a hot day, I'll get a little fuel dripping on the trailer during the trip to the trailhead. Again, full disclosure, your choice.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

If you have a California model, I would never pull out the sleeve or overfill the tank past the sleeve as it is designed to maintain a small air space for expansion/slosh to eliminate raw fuel from exiting the vent and entering the charcoal canister. If the canister gets flooded with too much raw fuel, you will have starting or running issue and probably set some codes.

If you have a 49 states model and pull the sleeve, be aware of the ramifications by overfilling the tank. Everyone here knows my opinion about removing the filler neck that is there for a VERY GOOD REASON and I suggest you never remove it or force more fuel in the tank above what it is designed to hold.

Removing it and/or overfilling the tank is a fire hazard and I don't want any of the fine folks here to have RZR syndrome. This fire was caused by a fuel leak. Both occupants got out because they they smelled a faint odor of fuel and it caught fire seconds after they got out. Thing was totally ingulfed in less than 90 seconds and melted the wheels and engine into little piles of aluminum, they were extremely lucky...

20191117 131231

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
If your going to overfill the gas tank its best to drive it right away for at least 20 miles. I don't think the CA model will purge the charcoal canister at idle but will as soon as the throttle plate is opened. It will open a port to purge the canister. I have a gas station where one pump will allow my Talon to lean over to the drivers side so I can add a little more fuel. On long trips I carry a high end one gallon can and two gallon can.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I went to a large Hardware store and dug thru their rubber O-rings and found a fat one that fits inside the fuel cap where it contacts the filler spout. No leaks and no smell when I tested it with the fuel filled up to the top.
That doesn't make it OK or safe. The air space at the top of the tank is there for a very good reason.

Everyone PLEASE stop telling people how to make their machines unsafe.

If you want/need more gas than the machine is safely designed to hold then get a bigger tank and/or carry extra fuel in safe containers in a safe manner.

I can no longer watch folks deliberately try to hurt/kill themselves, I am done with this topic!

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
That doesn't make it OK or safe. The air space at the top of the tank is there for a very good reason.

Everyone PLEASE stop telling people how to make their machines unsafe.

If you want/need more gas than the machine is safely designed to hold then get a bigger tank and/or carry extra fuel in safe containers in a safe manner.

I can no longer watch folks deliberately try to hurt/kill themselves, I am done with this topic!

This is the reason we no longer have gas cans that are worth a damn. You don't work for the government do you? Bigger tires change the center of gravity and make the machine more susceptible to roll overs. Guess those are out too. Other mods make the machine go faster than it was designed to go, which makes it less safe, another no no. Wiring mods can cause electrical fires if not done properly, so let's scratch those as well. No one is trying to "deliberately try to hurt/kill themselves..." by modifying their fuel tank. Do you know anyone that has been killed as a result of doing the fuel tank mod?

Python1106

Python1106

Feb 25, 2021
Adrian , mi
Ownership

1. Talon R
I can tell you all from experience that I don't think removing this piece will cause you any harm because I have a trail tank which is 10 and a half gallons and that tank has no filler next sleeve you can fill it right up to the top of the gas cap I have ran it up hills down hills and in all types of circumstances with zero issues whatsoever a lot of the stuff Honda does is to be Eco safe and EPA safe so if they're not doing it on the race gas tanks and the racing teams then there's a reason why they're not and it seems to work fine for all these applications and for my machine which now has the trail tank extended gas tank so remove it with no problems and no worry

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
By nature of the way many of us use them, these machines are "unsafe". We have built a culture that is so risk averse that they are afraid to do anything for fear of getting hurt. We have trained up a generation that has not been taught to properly recognize and analyze risky behavior. Today, we live in a society that seems to believe that there is a "re-spawn" button on human life and therefore such people must be protected from EVERY possible danger which might exist. The old saying still applies, "It is impossible to make anything"Foolproof", since fools are so ingenious."

I still have the sleeve in my fuel tank. but frequently "pack" the tank by placing the right front wheel on the ramp while filling the tank. (Yes, I have a PIONEER 1000, but the same discussion applies). I can "pack" in almost an extra gallon of fuel doing this. I never "pack" the tank and then park the machine. After "packing", I immediately hit the trail and the extra fuel extends my riding time significantly. I also have the tank vent lines extended so that the vapors from the tank escape into the free air, instead of under the seat as they do with a "Stock" 49 state PIONEER. I also went further and placed a flame arrestor screen on the end of the now raised tank vent.

In my mind, it is more likely that you will get a fuel tank contaminated with water and dirt then be left stranded from the poorly placed OEM Vent (on the PIONEER) than you will by somehow having a fire. I carry a fire extinguisher as well, just in case. How dangerous is it to be stranded in the middle of nowhere, either from running out of fuel or having a tank full of water? How dangerous is it to carry extra gas cans? In the south we have "mud dauber" wasps who love to build in the ends of open hoses. I have seen the fuel tank vents stopped up with such nests, this closes the vent and eventually stops the machine.

In my opinion, this discussion is necessary so that people who choose to make this (or any other) modification or who, like myself "pack" the tank are made aware of the possible ramifications of their action. The FIRST rule of safety is to be aware of the risks involved in any action. Do not make ANY modification to the machine without fully investigating and understanding how such changes can increase your risk. Weigh the risks against the benefits, if you do not find the risk acceptable, go by the book, don't change a thing from stock and live your life.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Nogrey

Nogrey

Aug 7, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

I've had mine removed for 1200 miles. Never a leak around the fuel cap (there's a drain hole even if it did), and no smell ever in the cab. The reason I removed mine was because of how slow it filled with the restrictor in there. Don't know if it adds an ounce of fuel, just fills a lot faster, which is what I was after and it works.

Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Hey! Based on the spirited respoinses wow, great thread!

So, if your machine has a charcoal canister filling your fuel tank to the brim can (get that...CAN) allow raw fuel to enter, while a little doesn't usually "hurt" it will eventually deteriorate causing charcoal particles to enter the fuelt tank vent system and eventually the fuelt tank (and/or) vacuum source, and this is where issues arise.

Additionally, the sleeve is more than just a sleeve, it is a baffle to help reduce the impact of sloshing fuel against the fuel cap and also as explained on ther responses it is used as a thermal expansion as well as a number of other conditions too numerous to describe here. I will agree @mylynch001 "FIRST rule of safety is to be aware of the risks involved in any action" risks are equipment damage/failure, envrionmetally, and most importantly personally. Take the sleeve/baffle out if you are in a situation where the extra gallon will make a difference, under stand the only protection against fuel slosh is the fuel cap, it can impact your fuel system if done repeatedly.

Thanks for listening.

• Love
Reactions: Montecresto
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R

Only the California models have the charcoal filter. If filled to the brim and riding on rough terrain you occasionally get duel smell until gas level goes down. You won’t get any codes.

Reactions: Lady01
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've had mine removed for 1200 miles. Never a leak around the fuel cap (there's a drain hole even if it did), and no smell ever in the cab. The reason I removed mine was because of how slow it filled with the restrictor in there. Don't know if it adds an ounce of fuel, just fills a lot faster, which is what I was after and it works.
You go from 7.2 gallons to 8.6 gallon capacity. The ease in filling is more than reason to remove it. Loved that part.

Reactions: Lady01 and CID
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
With the sleeve removed and the tank full to the rim I took it out and put it thru some paces to see if I had any leaking around the cap or fumes or anything detrimental in any manner. Nothing was discovered to be any issue. I did find a o ring that fit inside the cap and fit perfect to seal off the fill tube from any sloshing around. I have added a longer tank vent line up under the hood and it is coiled a few times with a small inline filter attached. Any fuel expansion should creep up that vent line, I seriously doubt any fuel will leak out the end on the vent line.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
@fartsalot

I'm not sure that added o-ring bought you anything, the cap isn't vented and isn't intended to breathe anyway so it's probably fuel and fume tight; mine has never leaked fuel. If it isn't a fuel rated o-ring, it's going to swell and distort.

Reactions: Lady01
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
@fartsalot

I'm not sure that added o-ring bought you anything, the cap isn't vented and isn't intended to breathe anyway so it's probably fuel and fume tight; mine has never leaked fuel. If it isn't a fuel rated o-ring, it's going to swell and distort.
Yea it may swell etc and if it does I will dig it out and throw it away or get a fuel oring the same size, I have a local source easy enuf to access.

Reactions: CID and Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!