NEW BIGGER GAS TANK

MMW

MMW

Sep 5, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The si
Hmmm, I think I can speak to this. I've always filled my tanks right to the top but noticed the Talon wouldn't allow that, fuel kept backing up before the fuel was at the top because of that inlet pipe that sticks down about 3" trapping an air bubble. If 'we' drill a vent hole (1/2"?) at the top of that tube, right below the cap's gasket, we'll eliminate that trapped air bubble, allowing a higher fill level. You go first. 🤭 Let us know how you trap the drilled chips. 🤔 I'd normally use a hot poker to melt a hole but that's a REALLY bad idea in this application. :eek:
The simplest way to deal with that is to fill the flutes of the drill bit with grease and operate the drill at a slow speed. It works well.

Reactions: Biteme and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Took my first ride today with the inlet tube removed. First it was pure joy filling that right to the brim, no gas spitting back at me. Riding Williams so 6700’ to start. No fuel smell full. Now after about 30 miles going over some rough ground I did get a little fuel smell. It went away after a while. So my opinion at this point. I can deal with occasional fuel smell,in trade for the ease of fueling. Don’t know how much more fuel I can take, fueling from the 5th wheel toy hauler.
I took my first ride yesterday with the inner tube removed but about 3/4" from FULL - the fuel was touching the remaining tube but not 'up into it' since I was filling with a syphon hose and didn't know what to expect. Filling with a station pump after that ride put the fuel about half way up that tube - where it sits now, sweltering hot 90* day and no fuel smell, nor yesterday during the ride. One ride isn't concrete evidence but it's lookin' good. :cool:

I agree that it fills right up, no spit back or burbling until the very last few pump squirts (I rarely quit when the auto stop does).

Next up is carrying a jug with me and running the Talon to empty to figure out how much fuel is actually useable. A little concerned about fuel pump heat running it til empty though. :oops:

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ok, today was my third ride with the inner tube removed from the tank fill opening and not a whiff of fuel even though the tank was FULL each time. Easier, fuller filling, I'm calling it a 'good enough' mod that I wouldn't hesitate doing it again. I don't know how much more fuel it allows but with our 7.3 gallon tanks, any increase is good. The way to do this would be to fill the stock tank, remove inner fill tube and then fill again, noting how much more fuel you were able to add. It's a wrap. :)

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you're gonna do it, now's the time since it's under warranty! ;)
Ran my Talon until it quit today, completely out of gas. It happened at 173 miles on the trip meter. This is with the plastic inner fill tube removed, so 'about' 8.x gallons. I'll know exactly how much the stock tank with plastic filler removed will now hold and answer "How much is '.x' ?" shortly.

When I ran out of gas, I dumped in about 1-1/2 gallons out of the 4 ish I was carrying. But I don't like approximations, so I'll run it out of gas on the trailer and take it up to the station, completely empty, then I'll (we'll) know exactly how much gas the stock tank will hold with the plastic filler tube removed. What I know is that, regardless how much gas is in there, it gonna quit at real close to 173 miles under similar riding conditions.

fwiw: I ride at 7500+ feet so, with fuel injection, I'm running much leaner than most all y'all. I'm also a gentle driver and mechanically sympathetic (but not 'old man' slow), so I'm not beating my equipment and don't spend much time on the 'main jet'. As always, and quite literally in this application, YMMV (your mileage may vary), IMO, yada, yada, yada. :cool:

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ran my Talon until it quit today, completely out of gas. It happened at 173 miles on the trip meter.

That's impressive mileage I'm not sure I could duplicate. At 8 gallons even that comes to 21.6 mpg. I cant remember the best tankful I've gotten, but my right foot weighs a little bit more than yours.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That's impressive mileage I'm not sure I could duplicate. At 8 gallons even that comes to 21.6 mpg. I cant remember the best tankful I've gotten, but my right foot weighs a little bit more than yours.
Yeah, a little - like the difference between a helium balloon and a dump truck. :oops:

I always want to know what my actual range is and now I do, at least at altitude. Once I figure out the exact tank capacity, I'll be able to do the MPG thing. Previous checks were 17.4 and 18.4. My DR gets 60 in Denver and 49 in California with no changes but it's carbed - not sure how altitude will affect fuel injected mileage.

Reactions: Biteme
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ran my Talon until it quit today, completely out of gas. It happened at 173 miles on the trip meter. This is with the plastic inner fill tube removed, so 'about' 8.x gallons. I'll know exactly how much the stock tank with plastic filler removed will now hold and answer "How much is '.x' ?" shortly.

When I ran out of gas, I dumped in about 1-1/2 gallons out of the 4 ish I was carrying. But I don't like approximations, so I'll run it out of gas on the trailer and take it up to the station, completely empty, then I'll (we'll) know exactly how much gas the stock tank will hold with the plastic filler tube removed. What I know is that, regardless how much gas is in there, it gonna quit at real close to 173 miles under similar riding conditions.

fwiw: I ride at 7500+ feet so, with fuel injection, I'm running much leaner than most all y'all. I'm also a gentle driver and mechanically sympathetic (but not 'old man' slow), so I'm not beating my equipment and don't spend much time on the 'main jet'. As always, and quite literally in this application, YMMV (your mileage may vary), IMO, yada, yada, yada. :cool:
That is awesome, can’t wait to hear!

Reactions: Biteme and CID
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah, a little - like the difference between a helium balloon and a dump truck. :oops:

Tenor

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
And the numbers are in - the stock Talon tank holds 8.612 gallons with the inner fill tube removed, from completely empty (idled the last little bit out on the trailer til it quit, then filled completely). Condensed version, I ran out of gas at 173 miles on a full tank (over 3 days), divided by 8.612 gallons = 20.08 mpg at 7500+ foot altitude riding 'somewhat' conservatively in DCT Auto mode.

The stock tank is spec'd at 7.3 gallons, so this mod gains 1.3 gallons - I'm good with that.

The fuel pump sits deep in a pocket in the bottom of the tank, so you use almost all the fuel in the tank. The pickup is on the bottom of the pump and draws fuel until the fuel level drops to the bottom of the pump. You can see the small glare (small white dot) on the bottom right edge of the white pump showing the fuel level when empty.

I WLS9f82 L

Filler with the stock inner fill tube removed. I have yet to smell fuel in the cab with this mod.
I MvPfpbm M

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Reactions: Biteme
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
More follow up - I'm getting fuel smell on steep, slow, rocky descents with a full tank. That's not a problem for me because it's rare but if you have a wife or kidz, they're gonna complain, that's why doG put 'em here, to punish you with never endin' beachin'. I was looking for the tank vent but the entire tank is encased in a plastic cowl and it doesn't look like an easy removal - the seat frame has to come out and about 1000 pushpins. 🤔 It will have to get a lot worse before I'll be forced to do something - it took several hundred miles before it happened this time.

Now if I can get to the vent line by removing the console, that would be doable. Paul posted that drawing in post #38, it shows that might be the point of access but I'll have to summon up the energy. I have no idea if human hands can get to that end of the hose. I'll also have to find that small ID fuel rated hose.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
any updates on the new tank? if remember correctly was supposed to ship about now. Wanting feed back from some other ginney pigs LOL

Reactions: IDIOT
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I tried calling them last Friday for and update, but couldn't reach a human.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Follow up on the occasional fuel smell on rocky descents with a full tank after removing the inner tube from my gas tank (adding 1.3 gallons to capacity :) Details earlier in this thread ). I wondered where to access the vent so I could extend it, hoping to eliminate the smell.

Found it in the tunnel, fairly easy to reach and Honda was kind enough to have a splice right there. 😍
I qdm6jjD L

The other end wasn't as user friendly, maybe reachable if I removed the RF tire (as seen from the RF tire) - so I went with the console access.
I 9nbvNck L

The stock vent line is secured to a frame rail and is unreachable (IMO) so I secured both the new and old line to the small X-member conveniently placed. The small hose clamp made up the small difference between the 1/4" fuel line I had 'in stock' and the smaller Honda butt splice nipple.
I HkNmxPP L

I happened to have a 67" piece of 1/4" fuel line and I used it all. There's a small red arrow in the upper right and two in the lower left showing routing under the hood. ETA: there's no reason to come out the driver's side of the firewall, a passenger side routing would be a bit shorter.
I 9qdSzfq L

The straight red line is showing where I ran the line behind the plastic cowl and the white zip tie securing it. The very end curls inward and lies on the small bumper skid/winch protection. I intended to have the vent end exit on the far right corner (away from me) but there's nothing there so it ended up dead center, just in front of and below the winch. It got a good test today, completely FULL tank, rocky, steep and no gas smell. :)
I PKMpqjx L

Last edited:
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
On some of my prior machines, when I rerouted vent lines and they where not protected from dust entry not going into the frame.
I would install a small in line fuel filter on the hose so it would not let any dust in.

Reactions: Lil_Steve and BWAF
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks, that's a good idea, as you're well aware. 👍

Reactions: Plumber32
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just got my notice tonight that my 10 gal trail tank has been shipped.
They have finally got production up and going.
Hope to install it soon...

Reactions: Lil_Steve and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!